Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

How to adjust the brakes

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

How to adjust the brakes

Postby cheapthrill » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 am

My brakes need to be adjusted. My left one will lock up and the right does nothing. I pulled the wheel and see a one inch hole on the dum is that for an adjuster?? 1996 dcs
cheapthrill

Brake adjustment

Postby Andy4639 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 am

This is for a club car but the basic's are the same. The Ezgo uses the star wheel where C/C uses the stud sticking out the back of the hub. Everything else is pretty much the same.

OK,
Here is my How To for brakes on a 1990 Club Car.
First loosen lugnuts up then jack cart up and place on jack stands...safety first alway's.
Take the wheel off.

Now start by taking the cotter key and pin out of the brake arm on backside of assembly. Set them a side you will reuse everything you take apart except for the (shoes) or something you find wrong with any part.

Look at the top of the assembly and look for the rubber boot if it still has it. If it does take it off and loosen the stud all the way up.

Now look at the shoes to remember which way they go.

Take the two clips loose in the center of the assembly front & back of shoes. Remove the springs and shoes.

Take the two wedges out and clean the housing and both wedges. They just slid out just remember how they came out.
Clean everything good before replacing the wedges.

Now spray the rest of the assembly with brake cleaner and clean everything really good. Notice the sides have scrap markings on them. These area's will have to be lubed on reassembly.

This slider needs to be free to move. I have the arm removed so I could clean it. You need to lube it and reinstall it as it came out. Remember how it goes.
This is what makes the shoes press against the hub to stop the cart. Make sure you have it right or you may not stop at all.

Now after everything is cleaned, relube all the peices and assembly where you see wear. Passing this step will only cause the shoes to wear quicker and may stick on you not letting the shoes return to their proper places when not engaged.

Now just reinstall everything as it should be. This is how they should look after you are done.

Now that this part is done we can move to the shoe adjustments. Remember the stud you backed out under the rubber boot. Turn it until you feel some scrubbing on the hub as you slide it on. Replace the boot and your done.
Now up under the cart at the pedal loosen the brake cables up to make the connections in back. This is done by loosening the 1/2" nut's that hold the brake assembly tight on the threaded rod.
Put the cable back in it's saddle with the c-clip and hook the cable back up to the brake arm with the pin and cotter key. Make sure the arm is set back as far as it will go when doing this. Check the arm movement also pushing it forward and seeing that it returns back when you let go of it. Try turning the hub also. It shouldn't turn. If this is all good then procced.
Move to the cables at the pedal. 1/2" wrench and tighten the nut until you can set the hill brake. Don't over do this are the brakes will scrub and you loose some speed. Do it just enough to keep the cart from rolling.
Now put the wheels back on and try it out on the stands. See how the pedal feels. If OK then set it on the ground and your done. If not adjust the cable under the floor til it feels good to you.

I hope this helps everyone out who needs there brakes redone.
If you have the owner's manual it will help a lot also.
I take no responsablity for any problems you incounter while performing this procedure.

04 AC conversion PDS 32 MPH
02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
80 model Ezgo wrecker 48 volts
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby kelvin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 am

Very Good Info
kelvin

Postby DaveTMS » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 am

Ok......I "kind of" had an issue where my drivers side would lock up on a hard down hill brake and the passenger side would grab....but not lock up.

Caddiemaster gave me the tool-less fix.

First,...Go forward as fast as the cart can (flat surface for all of this) and jam on the brake until the cart ALMOST comes to a complete stop...then let off the brake.

Second....do the same thing in reverse. Yup, as fast as the cart will go (level surface) jam on the brake until the cart ALMOST comes to a complete stop...then let off the brake.

Do this....I dunno four or maybe five times. The brakes have self-adjusters in them. Well, my EZ-GO does. My rear brakes work 100% in unison now.

I hope this helps.

Dave
DaveTMS

Re: How to adjust the brakes

Postby GamblinGolfer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:09 pm

cheapthrill wrote:I pulled the wheel and see a one inch hole on the dum is that for an adjuster?? 1996 dcs

Yes it is.
Since you have the wheel off, pull the drum and see how bad the pads look...
GamblinGolfer

Postby Craigs1001 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:56 am

Nice pictorial Andy. When are you going to be back in GC ? We are going to be there (Surfside) next weekend. We sold our permanent site over at Pirateland and will be moving our belongings to the condo (Sea cloisters II).

Main problem is now I won't have anywhere to store my cart except on a trailer. I would leave it at Pirateland then go get it while we are at the condo. I have no inside storage and we are on the third floor so my options are limited.

We'll catch up down there one of these days.

-Craig
Craigs1001

Garden City

Postby Andy4639 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 am

I will be down the whole week before Christmas. I may come back the day after and stay another week.

04 AC conversion PDS 32 MPH
02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
80 model Ezgo wrecker 48 volts
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Re: Garden City

Postby Craigs1001 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 pm

ANdy, We are comong down on Sunday (after Christmas) and stay until the following Sunday. Kim and I are going to find something there to do New Years Eve down there. I am defiantley bringing the new Precedent with us. Just got to find a way to charge it. Drop cord from the 3rd story maybe? :oops:

Andy4639 wrote:I will be down the whole week before Christmas. I may come back the day after and stay another week.
Craigs1001

No bolt adjustment

Postby dgcurtis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm

I've just replaced the pads and drums on my ezgo but it feels like the brakes are grabbing ever so slightly. It's a 2000 ezgo and I don't see any bolt on the backside of the brakes to be able to adjust them. Is there anyway of doing this without pulling the entire wheel/drum off again?

Thanks,

Doug
dgcurtis

Postby HotRodCarts » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 pm

The newer ezgos have a self adjuster. You can access it without removing the drum through the hole in the drum. Make sure your cables aren't adjusted to tight and holding the shoes open a little. The cable adjustment is under the cart near the brake pedal where the 2 cables come together...
HotRodCarts

Re: How to adjust the brakes

Postby Ned Kelly » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks for this thread, Ive been looking at refurbing brakes and suspension and finally got around to it this weekend.

I found it by googling for a photo of a drum assembly and parts and Ive now joined the Forum.
Ned Kelly

Return to EZGO Electric