Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Battery Additive?

Battery Additive?

Postby macaroni » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:38 pm

I don't really have any complaints about my batteries but like many of us, I wouldn't mind having a little longer run time. While leafing through an industrial magazine, I stumbled across this Kimball Midwest product called RECHARGE. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Sounds cool if it does all it promises.!!!

RECHARGE

Conventional lead-acid batteries are in use with virtually every customer we have.
Anyone that has a gas or diesel powered vehicle will typically have a lead-acid
battery system. Golf courses have lead-acid battery powered golf carts; electric
fork lifts and pallet jacks all use lead-acid batteries; deep cycle batteries are lead-
acid, marine and stationary engine batteries are all lead-acid based. If you think
about it, these batteries are literally everywhere.

BATTERY PROBLEMS

Lead-acid batteries have changed very little in the past 70 years. From the moment
of activation when the sulfuric acid electrolyte is added to the battery, sulfation
[buildup] begins coating the lead plates - this causes internal resistance. Aging
batteries lose overall performance and require increased maintenance (more
water) and longer charging time. Sulfation will eventually choke out any electrical
activity. Stored and inactive batteries accelerate the problem of sulfation, leading
to reduced battery life and the need to replace batteries.

SULFATION ROBS BATTERY POWER & CAUSES PREMATURE FAILURE
Lead-acid batteries generate electricity using a dual sulfate chemical reaction.
Lead and lead oxide, the active materials on the battery?s internal plates, react
with the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte (liquid carrier inside the battery) to form
lead sulfate as electricity is drawn from the battery.

When the lead sulfate initially forms it is in a fine homogenous form which is easily converted back to its
original form of lead, lead oxide and sulfuric acid [when the battery is recharged]. However, over many
charge / discharge cycles the lead sulfate converts to a more stable crystalline form, which will coat
the battery?s plates. This crystalline lead sulfate will not conduct electricity and does not convert back
into lead, lead oxide and sulfuric acid under normal charging conditions. It is this crystalline form that
causes the problems, and the process it forms under is called sulfation.

Sulfation clogs the grids on the batteries plates, hinders recharging and can actually expand and crack
the battery plates as it builds up, effectively rendering the battery "dead". The Crystalline lead sulfate
resists going back into solution under normal charging, and will not re-dissolve completely. When this
happens only a portion of the lead is returned to the battery plates during recharging, and the amount of
usable lead, lead oxide and sulfuric acid needed for producing electricity declines over time.

Sulfation also affects how the battery charges, and results in longer charging times, incomplete charging,
and higher battery temperatures when charging. Higher battery temperatures can also accelerate
corrosion.

The effect of sulfation [over time] is to continuously reduce battery capacity, increase electrical resistance
of the battery which reduces the voltage of the battery, and eventually to cause the battery to fail.

Sulfation is the leading cause of premature battery replacement. The BCI (Battery Council International)
studies indicate eight out of ten batteries may be prematurely discarded as ?dead? due to sulfation.

Sulfation occurs in all lead-acid batteries during normal operation. The use of RECHARGE can prevent
and reverse the effects of sulfation in lead acid batteries.

RECHARGE REDUCES SULFATION & RESISTANCE

A small amount added to each cell will mix with the existing electrolyte solution. RECHARGE will dissolve
existing sulfation and prevent new deposits from forming - for years. Batteries will charge faster, hold a
charge longer, have reduced battery gassing, less terminal corrosion, and will last longer.

RECHARGE CAN DOUBLE THE LIFE OF THE BATTERIES

Follow normal battery maintenance and RECHARGE can double the life of lead acid batteries. And, in
addition to just prolonging the service life and effectiveness of a lead-acid battery, RECHARGE can also
help conserve natural resources and protect our environment by reducing the number of batteries needing
to be recycled or going into landfills. This can also potentially reduce the amount of lead needed for battery
manufacturing. RECHARGE can also help make the work place safer due to a decrease of dangerous
airborne lead and sulfuric acid fumes.

COPYRIGHT? 1984 KIMBALL MIDWEST UPDATE 9/06

HOW RECHARGE WORKS

RECHARGE chemically cleans & restores each plate and separator to allow
them to continue functioning as they were originally designed - with equal
voltage, equal amperage and equal specific gravity in each battery cell. It
regulates the rate of sulfation, which slows the rate of self-discharge, lowers
internal resistance, and reduces battery ?gassing? (consumption of water).

BENEFITS TO USING RECHARGE

Batteries treated with RECHARGE can last up to twice as long, retain their
charge up to 3 times longer when not in use, reduce recharging time, reduce
battery replacement and reduce the number of batteries in the waste system
and the environment.

TYPES OF LEAD ACID BATTERIES RECHARGE CAN BE USED WITH

RECHARGE can be used with all types of vented lead-acid battery that
allow the addition of water and/or electrolyte. This type of lead acid
battery normally consumes some of the water in the electrolyte during
normal charge and discharge cycles. The water forms hydrogen and
oxygen and escapes as gas. Adding water periodically is necessary to
keep the plates flooded with electrolyte.

These batteries are equipped with removable caps to replenish water lost
during charging. This type of battery includes those commonly found in
electric fork lifts, electric pallet jacks, electric scissor lifts, golf carts, floor
scrubbers, electric utility carts, and deep cycle batteries used in RV's,
boats, trucks, construction equipment and other heavy duty applications.

TYPES OF LEAD ACID BATTERIES THAT
RECHARGE CAN'T BE USED WITH
RECHARGE cannot be used in "Maintenance Free" batteries typically
found in late model cars and light trucks. There is no way to introduce
liquid into the battery. These batteries use a different lead alloy system
which reduces gassing to essentially eliminate the need to add water,
Their drawback is reduced overall efficiency and limited ability for "deep
discharge" (supplying power for extended periods of time as is needed on
electrically operated equipment). Typically these batteries are used for a
quick burst of energy, as in starting a vehicle, not for long term electrical
operation.

RESTORES BATTERY LIFE

Dissolves sulfation to restore battery performance and prevent new
deposits from forming.

Revives under performing batteries.

REDUCES DOWNTIME WAITING FOR BATTERIES TO CHARGE

Batteries charge faster.

. Batteries hold charge longer and provide energy longer.

controls
the
rate
of
sulfation

. Slows the rate of self-discharge.

. Lowers internal resistance and gassing (water consumption).

environmentally
friendly

. Decreases dangerous airborne lead and sulfuric acid.

. Reduces the number of batteries needing to be recycled or going into landfills.

80-1178-1

80-1178-1

KIMBALL MIDWEST PRODUCT INFORMATION SHEET

RECHARGE

Vent Plugs

Cell Pillars &
Connectors

Cell Lid

Negative Plates

Separators

Plate Positive
Plates

Plastic Container

Conventional
Heavy Duty
and Deep
Cycle
Batteries

Maintenance-Free Batteries

Built-In

Hydrometer

Plates

COPYRIGHT? 1984 KIMBALL MIDWEST UPDATE 9/06

RECHARGE DIRECTIONS:

1. Shake well before using.

2. Avoid contact with metals and keep product out of direct sunlight.

3. Wear safety glasses while working around batteries.

4. Check acid level in each cell.

5. Add RECHARGE to the battery according to chart below.

6. Charge battery after treatment or continue with normal use.

7. Allow 5 Charge/Discharge cycles for maximum effect.

8. Wash with soap and water to remove electrolyte and RECHARGE.

USAGE CHART

12V Car Battery
1/2 oz. per cell

12V Deep Cycle Battery
1 oz. per cell

6V Car Battery
1 oz. per cell

6V Golf Cart Battery
2 oz. per cell

12V Large Truck Battery (8HD OR 8D)
2 oz. per cell

24-36-48V Forklift Battery
3.5 oz. per cell

LEAD ACID BATTERIES - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
A lead acid battery is a group of individual cells joined together in series to attain higher voltages. For
a battery to function properly, it is important that each cell in the battery carries the same values as the
others - the same amp/hour capacity, the same voltage, and the same specific gravity of the electrolyte
(the same concentration of sulfuric acid in each cell).

The lead acid battery is made up of plates, lead, lead oxide and other alloys with a 35% sulfuric acid
and 65% water solution. This solution is the electrolyte which allows a chemical reaction that produces
electron flow (electricity). When you test a battery with a hydrometer you are measuring the amount
of sulfuric acid in the electrolyte. If your reading is low, that means the chemistry needed to make
electrons is reduced. If the reading is low, where did the sulfuric acid go? It was processed as sulfation
and may be coating the battery plates and interfering with the batteries performance.

The simplest method of checking a battery is by measuring it's specific gravity with a hydrometer. If
each cell?s electrolyte registers 1.260 @ 80?F, the cell is fully charged and should perform normally.

Sulfation of batteries starts when specific gravity falls below 1.225 or voltage measures less than 12.4
(12v Battery). The nominal voltage of battery cells is 2.1 to 2.2 volts per cell. A 12 volt battery has 6
cells, so the real voltage may be up to 13.2 volts, not 12 volts. Sulfation builds up and damages the
battery plates, reducing and eventually destroying the ability of the battery to generate Volts and Amps.

OTHER FACTORS AFFECTING LEAD ACID BATTERIES
Average battery life has become shorter as energy requirements have increased. Only 30% of batteries
sold today reach the 48-month mark, and 80% of all battery failure is related to sulfation build up. Some
of the factors that accelerate the rate of sulfation include:

? Batteries left too long between charges - even 24 hours in hot weather can allow sulfation.

? Battery storage - leaving a battery for long periods without charging.

? Deep cycling engine starting batteries - these batteries can?t stand deep discharge.

? Undercharging a battery - charging a battery to only 90% of it's capacity will allow
sulfation, using the 10% of the battery chemistry that was not reactivated in the recharging cycle.

? High temperatures - 100?F increases the internal discharge rate of the battery.
As temperatures increase so does the internal discharge rate.
A fully charged battery left at 110?F for 30 days would likely not start an engine once.

? Low electrolyte levels - battery plates exposed to air will immediately begin sulfation.

80-1178-2

80-1178-2

KIMBALL MIDWEST PRODUCT INFORMATION SHEET
I can resist everything except temptation.
macaroni

Postby Bowfin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:01 pm

how much?
'95 CC 48V
6" PQ adjustable lift
48V PQ motor
PQ BrushGuard
PQ anti-theft device
22X11X10 tires/10" wheels
2" EBay Hitch
Bowfin

Postby macaroni » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:17 pm

I dunno.
I can resist everything except temptation.
macaroni

Postby culvermerc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 am

I am looking for some experience with this product as well. I saw it mentioned in a post on the EZGO Electric pages in this forum:

http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/php ... hp?t=36348

I tried to get information from the website but who knows when they will respond. It may sound too good to be true? 8)
2003 Club Car DS 48v
culvermerc

Postby traderrik » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:02 am

I've read in many places that sulfation is the chemical process that is chiefly responsible for battery deterioration.

Quoting one source that I trust:
Sulfation of batteries begins when the state of charge is at 90%, and becomes more aggressive when specific gravity falls below 1.225 or voltage measures less than 12.4 (12v battery) or 6.2 (6 volt battery). The latter levels represent 75% charge. Sulfation hardens the battery plates reducing and eventually destroying the ability of the battery to generate Volts and Amps.

As most of us know, it's quite easy to run our carts down to a 75% state of charge.

My first question is this: if we're talking about adding the product to aged batteries, could it really "un-harden" battery plates, and thus restore a significant percentage of original power and run-time? Something tells me "no" - but that's prolly just my cynical nature :wink:
traderrik

Postby TechKnight » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 pm

well i know there is a circuit floating around on the net, that "pings" the battery at an extraordinary high voltage at the resonant frequency of the plates inside the battery, and over an extended period of time it will break away the bonds of the crystals building on the lead plates, as its being spiked at its resonant frequency. almost like opera singers can break glass because of a strong shock of its resonant frequency.
TechKnight

Postby traderrik » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Yup - I believe that you're referring to "pulse chargers". Here's one for 12v batteries, but I've yet to see one for 8v...

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-res ... C2200.html

No idea how accurate the product claims are. But check out the price - and see if you think it would be cost-effective?!
traderrik

Postby TechKnight » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm

yeap i believe thats it. but im not talking about a marketable charger, nice that they made one though. i was talking about a DIY circuit. ;)
TechKnight

Postby culvermerc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:06 pm

There is another product out there called "Battery Equalizer" and has the same exact information as listed in the first post of this thread. There is an Ebay store that sells it "Buy It Now" for like $39.99 for a qt. plus $10.20 or so shipping. That's less than one Sams Club Batt and should, by what the info says, recondition all 6 batts. I wish someone new about this stuff. As you all will find out the longer I am on here, I am CHEAP. 8)
2003 Club Car DS 48v
culvermerc

Postby jeffinsgf » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:04 pm

TechKnight wrote:yeap i believe thats it. but im not talking about a marketable charger, nice that they made one though. i was talking about a DIY circuit. ;)

Well, this isn't DIY, but is isn't $675 either -- and that was for a 12 volt charger!

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-res ... BD-36.html

On-board desulphator connects to the batteries and is supposed to clean the plates while the cart is in use and being charged. It's about the cost of the charge meter I was thinking about buying and it has one built in, so I am going to give it a shot. $75.00 including shipping. I'll let you guys know what I think in a few weeks.

By the way, since BU doesn't sell this unit or anything like it, is this link OK with the moderators? If it is a violation, I am very sorry.
Jeff Farris
10 Acres of Ozarks
jeffinsgf

Postby helmet » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:05 pm

I added ?Battery Equalizer? to my tired old batteries about two weeks ago. New batteries are definitely in the cards for me before the year is out but I thought I would give it a try anyway. The directions state that you should realize a difference after 5 or so charge cycles, and I am only on my third cycle so far. Each of my eight - six volt batteries are holding 0.3 to 0.4 more volts after charge than it did previously. Before they were averaging 6.1-6.2 the day after a full charge. They are now averaging 6.4-6.5 the day after.
Having said that, I also just started using a new battery charger that has a fairly elaborate charge cycle (Thanks to CUTiger for the lead on the charger) It could very well be that the charger is responsible for the increase. The old rusty old charger I had been using was rather suspect.
88 Club Car under major renovation
helmet

Return to Club Car Electric