Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Prevenative and Routine Maintainance 96-02

Prevenative and Routine Maintainance 96-02

Postby Bob-0 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:23 pm

I thought I would start a thread about some helpful maintainace techniques I have learned. This is for E-Z-GO gas cars 96-02.

Throttle Cable: does your car seem a bit slower than normal? Your accelorater cable could have stretched causing a speed loss.

Adjustment: To adjust the throttle cable, check to ensure the throttle plate is fully closed and governor arm is rotated fully counter-clockwise. By the throttle cable bracket are two nuts (1/2 inch). Loosen the nut toward the rear of the car, and tighten the nut on the front of the bracket. Periodically check to ensure the throttle plate remains closed as you tighten. When I tighten these, I tighten them tight enough to open the throttle plate fully. As a final check, press the acc pedal and listen for the acc microswitch to click. The throttle plate should not move for a few more CMs after the switch clicks. Adjusting this won't pick up a lot of speed, however, it will open the throttle plate fully so as the reach the correct top speed.

Governor Compression Spring Adjustment: For factory settings

Note: Hold the accelerator cable when removing/adjusting the compression spring lock nut. Failure to hold cable will cause the accelerator cable to twist which may cause premature failure.

Pre-adjust the governor compression spring by rotating the nut until a dimension of 2 1/2" is achieved between the back of the accelerator cable bushing and the outside of the cup washer. This dimension is a pre-adjustment and may be further adjusted after a road test.

Starter/Generator Belt tension:

New Belt: A.Tighten a NEW starter/generator belt to 90-110lbs. tension whan a gauge is applied half way between the two pulleys.

B. Although not as accurate, a NEW belt may be depressed with a finger. A maximum deflection of 3/8" is acceptable

Existing Belt: Re-tighten an existing belt to 75-80 pounds using the same technique as listed above in A. A maximum deflection of 1/2" is acceptable when depressed with a finger.

Adjusting the Belt: Located behind the belt, and attached to the starter/gen. is a tension arm.

- While holding down the lower adjusting nut with a 9/16" wrench, loosen the upper jam nut with another 9/16" wrench. Move the lower nut up or down until proper belt tension is reached. Hold the lower nut in place and tighten the upper nut.

Note: I have found that after adjusting some belts, the starter/gen pivot bolt can become slightly loose. Using a 3/4" socket and open end wrench, tighten the pivot bolt if needed.

Spark Plugs:

Using a 13/16" spark plug wrench, remove the spark plugs at 250-300 hours or annually and inspect. Replace the spark plugs with NGK brand BPR4ES, and gap to .028"-.030".

Note: If a plug has been burned beyond .035" it should be replaced

A trade off exists between the larger gap that provides a large flame vs. a smaller gap that provides a hotter flame. Use the setting that you find most effective for your car.

--Fouled spark plugs are indicated by a wet, black apperance. This could be caused by a dirty air filter element or other restrictions in the air intake system. Incorrectly adjusted valves, spark plug wires which are in poor condition or poor quality fuel could also contribute tot he problem. Use NGK BPR4ES (resistor plugs) for replacement.

Tighten spark plugs to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) torque.

Caution: Use care not to over tighten the plugs. Over tightening can cause damage to the alumininum cylinder head threads. Use an anti-sieze compound on the threads.

That is pretty much what I thought would be usefull the next time you service your car. All settings and torq specs came from the book mentioned earlier. Oh and I thought you guys might laugh as hard as I did when I read this: Recommended: Use saftey glasses during re-fueling operations LOL :lol:

Have a great day
Bob
Last edited by Bob-0 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Commercial Pilot ASEL & AMEL; CFI-IA, AMEI
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Postby Jet » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi Bob,

I really appreciate the tips, could you please include these tips to include an 87 EZGO gas too. Maybe there's not too many differences ??
I just broke and accelerator cable and was wondering how to adjust it

Thanks,
Jet Man
Jet

Postby Bob-0 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:22 pm

There are quite a few differences between those settings and the settings of your car. Did you break the braided acc cable going to the carb? As far as service for the 2PG engine, that would probably require a different thread, and I would do that. I wanted to see if these could help people with their routine maintainance, and if not then its best I don't make another thread.... my poor fingers lol :D

Bob
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Postby Jet » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks Bob-O.

New Cart owners like me really appreciate youe help. The ACC cable frayed and broke right at the carb, even lost the cable clamp with it. Just ordered a new one, it wasn't in stock. I should have this week and was wondering how to adjust it correctly. Also, whenever you feel like posting the tips for an 87 EZGO gas, I will be looking for them.

You guys and this forum have been great. i'm learning a nawful lot being this is my first cart.

Enjoy and THANKS
Jet Man
Jet

Postby Bob-0 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Glad I could help jet. I will try and post those sometime next week. Also, your acc cable needs a tension spring to be able to adjust it, do you still have that? When your ready to put it on, I would suggest starting a new thread, that way if anyone else has the same problem they can do a search and find your thread, to be able to do that.

Thanks
Bob
Bob-0

Postby justwannano » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm a little hesitant in removing the carb on my 85 with the 244 robin/fuji to clean it since the cable must be removed.
Adjustment instructions would sure be helpful.

Might even be a good thing for BU to make the instructions a sticky.
justwannano

re maintenance thread for the 87-88

Postby Gary King » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:27 am

Bob I have an 88 EZ GO and would really appreciate a write up on adjustments and settings
Really appreciate your postings
Gary
Old timer
Gary King

Postby Bob-0 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:01 pm

http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/php ... adjustment

That is a thread on adjusting the accelorator cable. For the governer cable, just set the cable clamp about 1" from the end of the governer cable. That is, after setting the acc. cable, put the gov cable clamp on about 4" from the throttle plate, or about 1" from the end.

Hope that helps you,
Bob
Bob-0

Postby brenmbly » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:06 pm

Do you have a link for 95 ezgo cart instructions and owners manual. If not I'll have to find one on Ebay. Thanks :)
brenmbly

Postby shrek » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Is there somewhere I can find the same instructions for a 2003 EZGO ST350?

Thanks,

Shrek
shrek

Postby andrewj » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:48 pm

Thread on breaking down your carb, with PICS

http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/php ... hp?t=28836
andrewj

Postby '95EZGO » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:28 pm

Hey Bob next time you do a valve adjustment on an EZGO could you do a step by step walk through for the proper way to do it? Thanks :D
'95EZGO

Postby Bob-0 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by EZGOMike:

Start with a cold engine(this ones at about 12 degrees for the pics).

Remove 6 valve cover bolts, and pry off cover:

Clean o-ring surface(blue arrows) carefully. Do not drop dirt in any holes.
Check o-ring for damage, and make sure it is fully seated in cover(red arrows). Do this now, you'll be too excited later, and forget:

Pick a valve. Turn cam lobe DOWN by rotating drive clutch by hand(red arrow): Loosen adjuster locknut 1/4-1/2 turn.

Insert .004" feeler gauge between cam, and lifter(red arrow): Turn adjuster until feeler gauge has very slight drag, but is free.

Hold the adjuster with a screwdriver, and tighten lock nut as shown. Then re-check with feeler again. Now, do the same for the remaining valves. The middle two are the intakes.

Re-install cover(check the o-ring again). Tighten bolts to 5 ft/lbs.

***NOTE: No feeler gauge handy? if you lightly bottom the adjuster against the valve, then back off 1/4 turn on the adjuster, you will be very close to .005"***
Bob-0

Postby outakash » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:20 pm

:wink: Hey Bob O fantastic pic's. Ya think you can get pics of asjusting the throttle cable posted. I can't read but I sure can relate to pic's! :lol:
outakash

belts

Postby ccohen5017 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:05 pm

can anyone give me step by step directions on replacing the belts on my 94 marathon. thanks
ccohen5017

Next

Return to EZGO Gas