Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

home made lift kit

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

home made lift kit

Postby jesse8931 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:38 pm

i dont wanna spend money on a lift kit when iam sure i can make one my self can some one post a good pic of a kit for a 85 marathon ? and maybe a good pic of the rear suspension
jesse8931

Postby EZ goin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Most of these guys have done this alot more than me so hopefully they will chime in, but here are a couple pics of mine. Its a 94, but the same basic design should work for you.

I just cut the spindle mounts off the front and rewelded to 2" heavy wall square tube the right length for the down tube. I then welded it to the old 2x3 axle center section to retain all old shock mounts and spring mount locations.

As you can see I then added another piece of 2" between them at the bottom to really beef it up. :D

I lengthened my tie rods to account for the extra front end width by cutting them in two and sliding each end into a piece of 3/4" schedule 40 pipe and welding them in place.

You will have to get the wheels closely aligned before welding and then you can fine tune it with the existing threads after that.

I done the rear end by adding 2 2" "blocks" under each. I built new heavier u bolts with 7/16" all thread that I heated and bent to the right size.

The extended shock towers were made with a piece of heavy 1" square tube and a piece of 2" U channel I made by cutting the side off of a piece of 2" Square tube.

I also tack welded the 1" to the old shock mount on the axle to keep it from flip flopping.

This left me needing a little more rear lift but thats as high as I felt comforatable doing blocks. I added a set of heavy duty rear shackles that I built to handle the rest of the height I needed. I built them from 1.5" flat bar 1/4" thick and some 1" square tube.

As a rule you double the the desired lift number needed on a shackle to get the right lift. Ex: 4" longer shakles if you want 2" of lift. This formula is what Ive always used lifting trucks but I found out its too much for a cart because of the short leaf springs. From my calculations the numbers were just about exact. 2" longer shackles gave me an actual 2" of lift.

This gave me a total of around 6" front and rear. I plan on replacing my old rear springs with some heavy duty ones one day so if it ends up too high after that I can simply drop a block off or put the stock leaf spring shackles back on.

Again some might have better ideas, but this has worked for me because I just used materials I already had. It seems to be holding up well as Ive played on it pretty hard since the lift and everything is holding up great.
8)

Hope this helps! :)
EZ goin

Postby TM » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Heres my first cart, In there is pics of my lift on my 89' marathon.

http://cartaholics.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1504
Polaris rzr killer in progress
TM

Postby jesse8931 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:06 pm

thanks helped a bunch how does it handle on big inclines
jesse8931

Postby COPB » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Here is an easier way:
get some 2" X 4" steel tube. Cut it into 4 4" lengths. Now, the front of your front leaf springs have 3 bolt holes, as does the rear. On 2 pieces of tube, drill 3 holes in the top and 3 in the bottom to match the bolt pattern on the front of the leaves. Only drill the top 1" off set to the back from the bottom holes. Now, when you bolt that between your axle and spring, you will have a 2" lift and you will have moved the axle 1" forward. Do the same at the rear of the front leaf spring and you will have a 4" lift. You also will have moved your axle 2" forward for more clearence.

At the rear, do you have coil springs. If so, you get pipe. 2 pieces the same inside diameter as the coil spring. Cut these at 4".
Put them on the pegs that hold the bottom of the spring in place. Next take 2 pieces of pipe that will fit into the first pipe. Slip these pipes into the first pipe and slide your coil spring over this pipe. This pipe will index the spring which will ride 4" higher on the lower pipe.

And you will have a 4" lift.
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby COPB » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:36 pm

I did not have to do anything to the steeering linkage. Just left it and drove it as is.
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby EZ goin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:27 pm

I agree thats easier and another option...I looked going that route too. I just didnt like the idea of having that big gap all supported by springs only. I thought a drop axle would be more durable.

Just as good though I reckon. 8)
EZ goin

Postby COPB » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:02 am

Well, it's fast, it's easy, it's strong and you can do it all with a small drill press.

Not saying it is the best way or the strongest way, but I bet it is the easiest way. And there are many carts lifted just like this. As a matter of fact, one of the lift kits you can buy lifts like this, only it puts the whole 4" of lift at the front of the leaf spring. I do think that dividing it between the front of the spring and the back is stronger.

Or, a person could take one of the front leaf springs to a spring shop and have them build you 2 new springs with a 4 inch lift built into them.
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby EZ goin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:39 am

Oh I agree...not downing it...lots of cart have em. Just discussing. :D
EZ goin

Postby jesse8931 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:01 am

thanks guys one thing though i dont have leaf springs on the front only coil overs not sure if it came this way or some one else did it ill try to take a pic
jesse8931

Postby EZ goin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:12 am

jesse8931 wrote:thanks guys one thing though i dont have leaf springs on the front only coil overs not sure if it came this way or some one else did it ill try to take a pic

Im lost then, cant help you there. :shock:

NEXT! :lol:
EZ goin

Postby tunnelmike » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:34 pm

You also could have used a stock front axel and welded the upward part like you did with the spring mounts. You loose the ground clearance of the drop axel though. On a positive note you aren't altering the caster or camber any . Good wat to save money ! Mike
1995 E-Z-GO TXT
6" lift w/ 25" Maxxis tires
Alltrax 650
D&D Stealth Stalker
48 volt conversion is next !
tunnelmike

Postby CRAZYTasty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm

i was looking for a 4" lift for my marathon and built lift blocks for the front.
i used the top retaining plate as a template for the ends which i made
from flat bar and used 2" box tubing for the middle. hope that helps.

CRAZYTasty

Postby EZ goin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Thats some SWEET welding...TIG? 8)
EZ goin

Postby TheCartDude » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:57 am

EZ goin wrote:Thats some SWEET welding...TIG? 8)

As I was going to say, that's some incredible welding skills there! The perfect puddle for sure.
2002 Gas Club Car
6" BU spindle lift
22" Mudlites
24HP Engine

Rest in Peace, Keyguy. You Will Always Be Remembered.
TheCartDude

Next

Return to The hottest new trend...Lifted Off-Road Golf Carts!