Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Tires for the Beach

Tires for the Beach

Postby MurrayJimW » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:49 am

I've got a 2001 Club Car DS that we're using for my Mom at the beach. She has had a double hip replacement and uses the cart extensivey ON the beach in loose soft sand. I've got larger more aggresive tires on there now, but no lift kit yet. She has gotten stuck twice now and for a 70 year old woman with bad hips this is a big deal. I am convinced that this is a tire/wheel problem as there was plenty of power both times the cart was stuck. It simply dug ruts and rested on the frame. I need to add a liftkit and the best tire/wheel combo for loose sand I can to prevent this from happening again. I'd love some suggestions. Thanks in advance,

Jim Murray
MurrayJimW

Postby WALKNTALL » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:43 am

I'm sure there are some experienced dune folks here that can help you on this, I dont do enough sand riding to have good advice on stock power and sand.
WALKNTALL

Postby placer county customs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:57 am

yes frank is right there are more expierence sand riders that do beach rides that might know im sure they will comment...
-Chris
I got one of them big carts... I could list all the sutff it has on it,
or i could just say i got one of them big carts...
placer county customs

Postby crznrt66 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm

What size are the larger tires and how much pressure are you running? Do you also run on a hard surface and is your cart gas or electric?
1982 G1 with 1980 KZ-1000 bike motor with 5 speed trans.
I spent most of my money on beer and women, the rest I just wasted!
crznrt66

Postby crash12888 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 pm

Doesn't really matter what you run on the front as far as tread pattern because they don't pull. The lighter the better. You want a tire that will float on top of the sand. Wider and low air is the key. Also with sand you don't need real aggressive tires because the sand clears the lugs as it rotates unlike mud that will pack in and act like a slick. The Holeshot tires are a flat surface tire and will give a bigger footprint on the ground and I think would do well in the sand as long as they are aired down.
A friend will bail you out of jail, but a good friend will be sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!
crash12888

Postby Fr8mvr » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:22 pm

I would think turf tires like Carlisle would work well
http://www.carlisletire.com/products/tu ... index.html

or the last one on this page if she has any dunes to climb.
http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/sandtire1.html
03 PDS, 400 amp AllTrax controller
4g wire, Heavey Duty rear springs, Green Cold cathode underbody lights, Nerf bars, brush guard, tinted windshield, rear flip seat , Carbon fiber Dash, Lights and turn signals and 20x10x10 Carlisle Turf Savers and more
Fr8mvr

Postby dirtdustand4x4 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:17 pm

I agree air pressure is your key here. If she is not hot roding it and it is just a beach cruiser then you don't need a deep cut tire....... or even a really tall tire for that matter. Wide tires and low air pressure is the best way to go. I would see what works best but somewher in the 3 to 5 PSI range should be good.
1979 Taylor Dunn 7" Lift, 26" Tires, 440 Rotax, Rear Disc Brakes, Air Shocks, Custom Roll Cage and Light Bar

Still under construction with more to come
dirtdustand4x4

Postby trafficmaker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:34 pm

A lot of the fields I farm are mostly sand. Not the same as beach sand, but loose sand to say the least. My All Trails do very good in the sand even after I run 36" deep sub soilers and hit it with the discs. Nice and wide, decent tread and still pretty quite on asphalt.
1999 EZ-GO DCS COTM 6/07
10" Lift
25" All Trail on ITP Type 7's
Black w/red pearl and a ton of BU accessories...
trafficmaker

Postby COPB » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:05 am

I would not think that digging a hole in sand would be a problem with a stock cart, no matter what kind of tire you have on there. That sand takes almost all the power out of a stock cart and I would think the only way you could dig it down would be to crank the front wheels in the loose sand and they would act like brakes. Even then I would find it hard to see how you could spin the tires. I have tried to run my cart on the beach and have found that the sand is a real torque stealer.
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby 4vertical » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:35 am

i would think the v type tires would do really well. There were a lot of people running them an sandrails at the dunes. I also saw several people run them backwards in the dunes when i was there.

I would say paddles, but there is probably some riding other than the sand and I don't think a stock cart would pull a set of padles effectively
89 cc gasser w/ 23 briggs, 7.5 lift on 24's
98 cc campground cruiser with matching trailer
00 carryall 272, momma's yard toy
psst i'm over there...
4vertical

tires

Postby fairlane » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:49 am

the best all around tire for sand and the cinders for just general us is the carlisle 489. I run about 3 to 4 psi and they stay on top and do a good job
with my honda. They are good for mud also, they clean out really well. I air them up to 6-7 for pavement.

Glen
fairlane

Postby dannysaturday » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:53 am

How big of tires do you want to run? How big of lift? I had some 22" duro's on mine, they did OK but would did down in some cases(climbing stuff you shouldn't). Look at some mudlites or all-trails, you won't get stuck unless you try,but for easy driving you should have no problem with almost any 22" off-road tires.
Danny
dannysaturday

Postby ruredy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 am

4vertical wrote:i would think the v type tires would do really well. There were a lot of people running them an sandrails at the dunes. I also saw several people run them backwards in the dunes when i was there.

I agree.
You need the biggest, widest, soft compound 2 or 3 ply tire you can fit on the cart. I don't mean 18" tires, lift that cart up and go with at least 22", bigger is better.
You need the biggest foot print you can get to stay on top of the sand, its not the wet packed sand you get stuck in, its the powder sand that will suck up a cart to the frame. The cart doesn't have enough power to power through it so you need to stay on top of it.
Big balloon tires with next to no air in them, if they are directional or a v-tread tire do like 4vertical said. turned them around backwards (makes them stay on top of the sand).
All Trails suck in powder sand, they are to hard of a compound, I'd go with atv knobbies, 3ply 489's, maybe strykers just to name a few. Also steel wheels are wider and make the tires have a better foot print.
Jon
ruredy

Postby Fr8mvr » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:23 am

At 70 with bad hips, is a lifted cart the way to go? That is a step up for some at 16 inches plus.
If taller and wider is best, the tires I showed are 20x10x10. They fit without a lift kit on my ezgo.
03 PDS, 400 amp AllTrax controller
4g wire, Heavey Duty rear springs, Green Cold cathode underbody lights, Nerf bars, brush guard, tinted windshield, rear flip seat , Carbon fiber Dash, Lights and turn signals and 20x10x10 Carlisle Turf Savers and more
Fr8mvr

Postby MurrayJimW » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:17 pm

Thanks for all the responses. They are very much appreciated. The current tires do have a more aggressive tread pattern as I mentioned, but my main aim with them was to put "more tire" in the sand. The tires I am running have tread spread out to a bit of the sidewall as well and I thought that might help which I believe it did somewhat.

Torque is a bit of an issue. There is a paved road and then a rather steep hill that the cart must climb in order to get on the beach to begin with. I currently have the tires on it down to about 5 psi and it's starting to show on the hill and the beach in terms of power available. Even with the lack of torque this provides and the difficulty in negotiating that first hill, they are still able to dig a rut from a standing start and get stuck. As you can imagine this is not a cart that anyone is "hot rodding" on. My Mom is simply trying to negotiate the beach. Since all of the above is true I saw no choice but to try a larger wheel to get even more tire on the sand. That dictates that I use a lift kit in order to use the tires without contacting the cart body. The tires I have are about maxed out as far as area goes without contacting the cart body. If it becomes necessary down the road to add a larger motor or controller I'll do it, but I was trying to keep it as economical and safe for a 70 year old as I could.

Thanks once again for the suggestions. The concensus appears to be that I use a less aggressive tread pattern this time and I believe I will, but I can't see any way around increasing the wheel size.

Jim
MurrayJimW

Next

Return to The hottest new trend...Lifted Off-Road Golf Carts!