Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Terra toys a-arms

Terra toys a-arms

Postby mccoy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm

I tookl my cart out this weekend for some trail riding and the had the worst experience with my front suspension from Terratoys. The steering is horrible, having no bump stops almost ripps the tires off. I bent one of the a-arms because the wheel practically folded off. i dont know how each wheel can drive in opposite directions. I was driving slow and cautious being one of my first times out. I had to keep adjusting the tie rod ends. I am going to ripp it off and build my own!!! I wonder if they even did testing on these things.
mccoy

a-arms

Postby fairlane » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:40 pm

I don't know what has happened but my neighbor has that frt end and it performs well. I have a different brand but close to the same and have no trouble offroad or at 40 mph something went wrong with the install or the adjustments you were making. I wouldn't think it is the suspension itself. Did you set the toe properly?? How about camber? What type of terrain?? Answer thes questions and maybe we can help
fairlane

Postby mccoy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:18 pm

I had the front tires 1/4 inch. They were strait up I used a laser to adjust them in. Everyone that was on the trail with me watched as the front did whatever it wanted to. The steering from the extended pitman arm makes for a bad steering design. The terrain was in the woods not to rocky, alot of ruts and hills,. Going up the hills wasn't bad, coming down was a different story. I dont know how the the tires can go opposite ways, but they did. I look at it every bolt is tight. I hate it!!
mccoy

Postby TheCartDude » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:21 pm

I bet the steering rods are too thin for that length of suspension. Like Hummer steering rods :lol:
2002 Gas Club Car
6" BU spindle lift
22" Mudlites
24HP Engine

Rest in Peace, Keyguy. You Will Always Be Remembered.
TheCartDude

Postby dirtdustand4x4 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Sounds to me like a bad geometery design. If the ball joints on the steering rods don't line up with the joints on the a-arms then it will cause the tires to spread out or come together as the suspention cycles. Before you scrap it let us take a look at it. Post a pick of each side of the suspention from the front of the cart. You may be able to fix the problem much cheaper than changing out the whole thing. I have a lot of experience in off road design and i have run into this sort of problem often. Also if you could point out the part that you bent it would help a lot.
1979 Taylor Dunn 7" Lift, 26" Tires, 440 Rotax, Rear Disc Brakes, Air Shocks, Custom Roll Cage and Light Bar

Still under construction with more to come
dirtdustand4x4

Postby ][R][E-G2 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:05 pm

damm that sucks i seen vids of u haulin a$$ down ya street kinda weird to bend an a arm hmmm sucks dude i think longhair has the terra kit he hasnt had any probs and i know he takes his trail riding but i dunno somthing went wrong somwhere hope u get it worked out :D
][R][E
][R][E-G2

Postby dero » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Cant you just give terra toys a call? They may give a replacement. Then you can just improve it and not fix it.
1987 EZGO
4in lift. Blocks up front, air shocks in back
23in carlisle 489's
Headlights

Proud Dark Sider!
dero

Postby mccoy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:26 pm

It is so hard to steer. Does longhair have rack and pinion steering? :?:
mccoy

Postby ][R][E-G2 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 pm

mccoy wrote:It is so hard to steer. Does longhair have rack and pinion steering? :?:

im not sure pm him
][R][E
][R][E-G2

Postby dirtdustand4x4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:15 am

Here are some great pics of well designed suspentions.
Notice three things:
1. The steering joints are lined up with the a-arm joints when the steering is centered.
2. The steering links are the same length as the lower a-arm
3. The steering links are parallel to the lower a-arm.
I took a look at some of the pics you posted durring your build and i think that these are your problems. If any of these things are out of alignment, then you will get bump steer. If they are all off then you can get severe bump steer and this can make the cart wonder, or jerk to one side or the other when the suspension is compressed.
1979 Taylor Dunn 7" Lift, 26" Tires, 440 Rotax, Rear Disc Brakes, Air Shocks, Custom Roll Cage and Light Bar

dirtdustand4x4

Postby mccoy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:15 am

Here are some of the pics. On the good side I gps'd 45 miles per hour at 4100 rpm You can see the wheel would bend like this quite often everybody thought I broke off the wheel a couple of times. It was very unsafe. I am gonna call Terra Toys tommorow maybe I am the only moron that cant figure it out. To me you cant go wrong on the install.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
mccoy

Postby dirtdustand4x4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:31 am

Looks to me like your tie rods are mounted too close together. are you runing a rack and pinion or is it a pitman arm? if it is a pitman arm the corection will be a little harder. You may need to do a drag lik to another link mounted on idler arms.this way you can spred out the mounting points on your tie rods. One other thing is to lower the mount on the tire end so that the links are parallel to the lower a-arm.

dirtdustand4x4

Postby wheelchairman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 am

I agree the tie rods look way too short but im not seein how that would make them go opposite directions.

I'm sure you have ALOT more knowledge in the area of suspension design than I do but it seems like short tie rods would just cause the tires to be able to turn really far inward like they do.
no replacement for displacment

05 pro hauler 1000 with mods *STOLEN*

08 Ranger 700efi milemarker winch, camo'd
wheelchairman

Postby TheCartDude » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:02 am

They're not too short, I think they're too long and allowing the steering axis to cross outside it's 140* rotation (I'm thinking it's about that much anyways)
2002 Gas Club Car
6" BU spindle lift
22" Mudlites
24HP Engine

Rest in Peace, Keyguy. You Will Always Be Remembered.
TheCartDude

Postby WALKNTALL » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:20 am

Wow, you were driving slow and cautious and did that much damage? I have forgotten to put the steering stops in EZGO's and have done that samething alot, but I never bent anything.

The steering is harder because of the extension on the steering arm to lower the tie rods with the lift, there is no way around that part. That also causes the longer throw of the steering arm.

I subject those a-arms to nasty environment all the time with no problems. Here is a thread with a sample of what I do to them. I will call TT also and see what they say.
http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/php ... hp?t=26719

Unfortunately I dont see any advertising or know of any other manufacturer that makes them for the G2. So its probably repair those, or make some custom ones.

Frank
WALKNTALL

Next

Return to The hottest new trend...Lifted Off-Road Golf Carts!