Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

HONDA CLONE ENGINE SWAP

V-Twin, snowmos, motor cycle and any "other than golf car" power plant posts.

HONDA CLONE ENGINE SWAP

Postby BIKERMIKEYBLACK » Fri May 13, 2011 6:40 pm

im new to the board and am considering doing a duromax 16hp on my 1994 club car but am trying to gather all the options that i will need to do so and have something that is reliable and dependable i read somewhere that the electric start engine only had a 3 amp alternator and was not enough to keep the batt charged ..now it just hit me that the cart has a generator starter moter can that be used instead of the electric start moter and charge that way also is there anyone who has put together a sort of guide for this installation somewhere any info will be greatly appreicated thx
mikey
BIKERMIKEYBLACK

Re: HONDA CLONE ENGINE SWAP

Postby BookinBrock » Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 pm

A couple of guys have done it here.
there are about 20 guys here doing it check it outhttp://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone-engine-swaps/
BookinBrock

Postby BookinBrock » Mon May 16, 2011 12:35 pm

I did a swap to a G-2 Yamaha,I may be able to help some.
Mine is an electric start 16 hp Duromax. So far my upgrades are 36lb valve springs RLV muffler,straight header,drilled main jet removed timing key so advance is about 20' advanced Twin Air filter mounted in dash with 1.25' hose running to it.GPS speed was 37mph but got there very fast. and 23" tires
Now . Your right about the charging system,weak. But I have 2 x 55 watt headlights and 4 X 7watt running lights and running all day charges it up for
night time trips.It truely is not a problem, and besides all these motors come with a pullcord. You will need a new clutch or a insert from one of these vendors as your clutch is tapered and the output shaft is straight. O Stock .com has these motors right now for 338.08 and 2.99 shipping what are you waiting for

Brock
BookinBrock

Postby BIKERMIKEYBLACK » Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm

thanks brock another thing im unsure about is the moter mount do you just mount it in place of the stock motor and change hole or what ?
BIKERMIKEYBLACK

Postby HarryT » Sat May 21, 2011 1:09 am

Brock;
If you are using an electric start engine, what are you doing for reverse?
Harry
HarryT

Postby BookinBrock » Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 am

For ground clearance and to clear the rearend the plate was raised 2".
The clone comes with a power panel for the electric start,I just lengthened the wires to where stock was,and on a Yamaha the reverse is in the rear end.
Brock
BookinBrock

Postby HarryT » Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 am

Brock;
What kind of rear end are you using with a reverse?
Harry
HarryT

Postby BookinBrock » Mon May 23, 2011 6:41 pm

stock 1987 G-2 rear,4-stroke
BookinBrock

Postby HarryT » Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 am

Brock;
How does the reverse in the rear end work? Does it have a separate lever to shift it or is it electric shift? I have only worked on electric carts so I am not familiar with gas units. Does your unit go into neutral at idle with a centrifigal clutch or how do you get a neutral? I have a 2006 EZ GO electric and I was thinking of installing a small motorcycle engine and tranny so I would have no reverse and I need reverse for my application. Where would I find a picture of the rear end in your cart?
Sorry for all the questions;
Harry
HarryT

Postby BookinBrock » Tue May 24, 2011 9:20 pm

No worries Harry,
I'm off work ,detached my right biceps tendon,The rear is a plain ole F N R cable actuated deal,have had no worries from it.
Brock
BookinBrock

Postby HarryT » Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 am

Brock;
I guess I will start looking for a Yamaha G2 rear end. Do you know other than your 87 what years they were used.
Sorry to hear about your bicep tendon. Did it come off at the shoulder or the elbow? I had a co worker pull it loose from the shoulder before I retired 10 years ago. Not a lot of fun. I have had tendonitis real bad in my right lower arm for a few years and can't seem to get it to heal. The doctor says rest it and ice it but that is not possible when you are retired as I have more to do now than when I was working for a living.
Thanks;
Harry
HarryT

Postby BookinBrock » Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Busted it loose at the elbow,Im told they fish it thru and attach to bottom of elbow,huge cast cant tell, but anywayany 4-stroke rears all have reverse in rear as only 2-strokes and a very few 4-strokes run backwards,someone else might no otherwise.
sorry to highjack thread :D
Brock
BookinBrock

Return to Alternative Engines- Swaps, Upgrades and Q&A