Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

metro engine

V-Twin, snowmos, motor cycle and any "other than golf car" power plant posts.

metro engine

Postby D_Fresh » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 am

i am throwing around the idea of either using my atv engine that i currently have, or finding a wrecked geo metro to use the engine/transmission out of...

i have been thinking that the metro route may end up being the cheaper way to go because i have seen wrecked metros sell for around $250, and stronger/more powerful without a doubt...

i know that i would have to weld the differential in the transmission and come up with a way of attaching a sprocket to the transmission..

for the sprocket, i was thinking i could take the passenger side axleshaft (since it is the one that would be centered under the engine) and cut the end where it attaches to the hub off and machine it for a bearing to fit over it then weld a sprocket to the middle of the shaft....that way the shaft would be supported on both ends (transmission at one side, bearing on other)

for the rearend, i would probably use an ATV rearend, but cannot think of any ATV's that would be wide enough, what kind of atv rearend are you guys using?
D_Fresh

Postby COPB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:00 pm

People have talked of Metros now and then. Hope you do it. I wanna see. :lol:
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby AGC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Do it !!!! That would be Kick A$$. Keep us posted.
2014 Oddpowers Spring Nationals June 20-21 London, KY Dragway!!
AGC

Postby D_Fresh » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:51 am

i am hopeing i can do this this summer. I am about to lose my job because the business is shutting down and my girlfriends senior prom is in 3 weeks, so that is where all of my money is having to go at this point....

i am hoping to find a complete running metro (body doesn't matter, long as it runs) for around $300, i will then pull the engine, trans, and complete wiring harness/ecu....

might even put in the guage cluster, that way i would have a speedometer...in order to do that i would have to put roughly stock metro sized tires on it though and gear it 1:1 from the front sprocket to the rear....or at least that would be the simplest way...i could put bigger tires and have to figure out what gearing to use to even it back out....

this will get done, i only have about $300 in the cart as of now, and i think i have the stock engine sold for $100, so that will put it down to only having $200 in it...i'm probably going to try selling the stock rearend soon also....

all i'm really wanting to keep is the frame, front suspension, and body....
D_Fresh

Postby memco » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:39 am

A GEO METRO engine will fir in a golfcart with the complete transaxel if a new frame is made for the rear. Built one with 4 wheel disc brakes and auto trans. liscense for the street as a street rod in Louisiana. I sold it after fliping it 3 times but will go by and take some photos of it and post here. I built 2 twins golfcarts with a friend of mine, he still has his and will try to go by and take photos of it too.

Will try to take a lot of shots of the set up. The fastest I ever ran it was 70 mph @ 7000rpm, but the motor that we built would tach. out at 9000 rpm. Ran out of ba**s.

I think the one my friend kept might be for sale if anyone is interested.

Ran them both around TALLEDEGA and BRISTOL NASCAR races a lot, might have seen them there.

Will try to get photos first of the week and get them posted.

Melvin MEMCO
Louisiana

memco

Postby COPB » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:13 pm

I would be real interested to see that Geo set up. I have mentioned the possibility of using the transsexual, but having never measured it, I thought a person would have to widen the cart.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby memco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Have not forgetten about the photos, can't find them in the computer but have a friend that has some and he said he will drop them off or e-mail them to me.
We cut the axels to shorten up the width but we used the stock body and hinged it at the front by where your heels would be, and the whole back end would lift up.

Don't give up.

Mel
memco

Return to Alternative Engines- Swaps, Upgrades and Q&A