Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Texas - Street Legal?

Post pictures and stories of how you use your cart.

Re: Texas - Street Legal?

Postby gettyupgo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:38 pm

Newbie here, Good site guys. I just finished reading every post on this topic. I am wore out.
Legal and not legal? Thats the question. I live in Austin, right behind Texas DPS Headquarters on N. Lamar. Texas DPS has a few out buildings down the street(about 3 blocks) from the main buildings(which take up a full downtown city block). I see quite often Gators running paper work, weed eaters ect. to and from the main building, to the out buildings down the street. Fork lifts doing the same but hauling boxes. The only thing on the fork lifts and gators are a slow moving triangle. I also have such a wonderful wife, I take her to work couple times a week. She works at The University of Texas. Cant count the EZ-GO's, Mules,E V's,Gem cars ect. that the campus owns. One out of ten has a plate, the others have SMV sign on them. They run up and down Dean Keton Blvd(4 lanes) and Red River all the time. Some the UTV,EV's and golf carts are stationed across IH35 and have to traverse Dean Keton to get to campus. Go figure.
On another note,
A week ago Friday my wife and I went up to our local south of the border eatery and lo and behold there sits a Kawasaki Mule 4 passenger sitting in the parking lot. I asked the guy a dumb question"How do you get a way with driving that here?" He pulled out a copy of Texas Vehicle Chapter 547 and proof of Ins. He said he called TDPS and they told him where to find it on the web, make a copy, carry it with you and proof of Ins. and you are good to go. He does have a slow moving sign on back, has head lights and tail lights(no blinkers,no brake lts),factory seat belts, to be a little safer he carries a rotating yellow light that plugs into cigar lighter. He did say he cant go on a road posted more than 35 mph. Cant get on any numbered state roads(hwy 183,2222,IH35,hwy 71 ect.) So it seems he is legal on all neighborhood streets all across Austin.
I recently sold one of those 4x4 Japanese mini trucks to a guy in Lockhart,Tx and he got it plated. Who's to say whats legal and not. It seems like its up to the county. I really dont think anybody knows for sure.
I recently bought a EZ-GO ST and sure would like to run it though the neighborhood once in a while.
Forgive me for the long post. Just trying to be legal.
Cheers.
gettyupgo

Postby Rocket » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:41 am

Welcome to Buggies!!! :mrgreen:

I use a Slow moving sign (because thats what my county requires) and it works just fine......... I don't think after dark it would though.... :oops:

Again,, welcome!
Rocket

Postby cb1000rider » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Can anyone give me an update on this? We've purchased a Yamaha Rhino.
Is registration actually required - or simply meeting the requirements per state of a LSV?
We did get some push-back towing a jetski into a nearby state park (I'm that close) - saying that it was an ATV and ATVs were not allowed...
cb1000rider

Postby Gornoman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:28 pm

EVERY state is different. Where are you located?
gorno

'97 TXT Series 48v Conversion
2009 Buggy Bonanza Best in Show, 2nd Place Hill Climb, Figure 8, and Dragstrip
http://www.IGKRA.com
Gornoman

Postby cb1000rider » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Sorry.. I absolutely missed posting that.
I'm in Texas. Travis county.
cb1000rider

Postby cb1000rider » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Seems that UTVs are being classified as ATVs, which makes them illegal... Can you get away with it? Perhaps..
Is it "legal" to prevent registration of UTVs and classify them as ATVs - not from where I'm sitting, TXDOT seems to be doing it to keep them off the roads, as many of these vehicles were used on roads with speed limits of higher than 35mph - which should be a separate enforcement issue.

Seems that if I want a truly legal "Rhino" - I'll have to make it street legal like a dune buggy.

For immediate release
Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
(512) 302-2076, kperkes@dot.state.tx.us

Registrations to stop for Utility-Type Vehicles (UTVs);
rules for golf carts under review by lawmakers

On September 15, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will stop accepting new registrations for Utility-Type Vehicles (UTVs)

TxDOT’s Vehicle Titles and Registration Division (VTR) announced today that it will begin classifying all UTVs as All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), meaning the UTVs will no longer be allowed on public roads. UTVs with current registration will be allowed on the streets until the registration expires.

Brand names include but are not limited to Kawasaki Mule, John Deere Gator, Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Rhino and Grizzly, and Kubota RTV.
cb1000rider

Postby cb1000rider » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Has anyone tried going for fully street legal?
TX has cut off the ability to make UTV's "slow moving vehicles" - which is unfortunate, as that limits them to streets under 35mph. Use on public roads could be handled by educated enforcement - IE - ticketing/arresting guys running these down the highway.

As I see it now the only *other* option is to pursue a fully street legal status - like a rail buggy... The only impediment I see is a title that says "non-highway use only" - which is consistent with Low Speed Vehicle Use.

Or buying a Joyner... A true 60+ mph UTV...
cb1000rider

Postby cb1000rider » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:48 pm

As of 9/2009: All UTVs and Golf carts will be illegal on any roads.
Exceptions are:
1) When authorized by a private development.
2) When authorized by the city.
3) Within 2 miles of a golf course (Golf carts only)

See:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81 ... 02553F.htm

The bill would amend various provisions of the Transportation Code and establish new Subchapter F relating to the authority for and limitations on the operation of golf carts on certain public roadways, public or private beaches, and within a master planned community. The bill would prohibit the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) from registering a golf cart for operation on a public highway. The bill would specify that TxDOT is authorized to issue license plates for a golf cart as authorized under current law. The bill would authorize the governing body of a municipality to allow the operation of a golf cart on a public highway within the corporate boundaries of the municipality if the posted speed limit on the public highway is not more than 35 miles per hour and the golf cart has the equipment specified by the bill. These provisions of the bill would take effect September 1, 2009.
cb1000rider

Postby saltwaterstriker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:05 am

So I guess as long as my city doesn’t prohibit them, I should still be good? All of our streets are 35 mph and under.
saltwaterstriker

Postby Gornoman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 am

saltwaterstriker wrote:So I guess as long as my city doesn’t prohibit them, I should still be good? All of our streets are 35 mph and under.

No, if your city ALLOWS them, you are OK.
gorno

'97 TXT Series 48v Conversion
2009 Buggy Bonanza Best in Show, 2nd Place Hill Climb, Figure 8, and Dragstrip
http://www.IGKRA.com
Gornoman

Postby saltwaterstriker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 pm

How would that work? I've talked to the mayor, city manager and chief of police, and they are all on board. Does the city council have to pass a resolution specifically allowing them? Also, they only mention highways here, what about residential streets?

At the very least I know I won't be getting pulled over by a city cop, but after going through the hassle of getting plates, I'd like know that everything is actually square.
saltwaterstriker

Postby cb1000rider » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 pm

TXDOT doesn't really distinguish highways and arterial roadways.
IE - ATVs are "not for highway use" - TXDOT interprets this as "not for street use".
You would need to get your city counsel to adopt some legislation to make golf carts legal for street use (probably with some binder conditions, such as "during daylight hours" and "on streets with speed limits of under 35mph".

Note, if you live within 2 miles of a Golf Course and are traveling to or from that golf course, you're going to be exempt.
cb1000rider

Postby TxCartBuilder » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:38 pm

TxCartBuilder

Postby saltwaterstriker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Where can I find a list of who voted on this bill and how they voted. It'll be good info next November.
saltwaterstriker

Postby michel-tx » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Registered, titled golf carts are street-legal in Texas. The problem is that as of September 1, 2009, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) no longer registers or titles golf carts. Existing titles and registrations are legal until they expire
michel-tx

PreviousNext

Return to Golf Cart Usage