Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

cushman truckster?

cushman truckster?

Postby Timo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:03 am

hello. im new to the site. ive recently aquired 3 cushman trucksters, 2 are 4 wheel with a little truck bed on the back, and one is an old 3 wheel. i dont know anything about these machines! capabilities, speed, repairs. so basically any info you can give me would be awsome. im very interested in the transmissions! how many speeds? how fast do they travel? hi/lo range? that sort of thing. thanx alot
Timo

Cushman Turf Truckster.

Postby GreenMower » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:17 am

Hi Timo,
You can get Operator manuals for these vehicles in www.ransomesjacobsen.com.

Regards
GreenMower

Cushman Trucksters

Postby geosusi » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:08 am

Timo, I just got access to this forum. I have several of the trucksters you mentioned 3 & 4 wheelers. The trucksters were designed to carry approximately 1000 lb. They are a 3 forward 1 reverse and will travel at about 20 mph in high gear at wot (3300 rpm). I you have a low/high add-on the truckster will crawl in low gear. Two of mine have hydraulic lift beds. I have fill the bed to over flowing with sand and had no problem traveling on pavement in high range. However, I had to go to low range to travel in grassy areas.
I have access to the service manuals for both models. If you need help let me know.
geosusi

Postby Rusty1 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:26 pm

You will probably find help at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cushman4wheels/

the group is only for Cushman Trucksters, not 2 wheelers.
Rusty in Texas
Rusty1

Location: Wichita Falls Texas - 2001 Regen DS and 2002 Club Car DS IQ

Postby Sho305 » Mon May 22, 2006 9:23 am

Trucksters are great fun but really they are a work utility truck. You can put near anything you can fit on them and they will haul it. I've had cement bags or fertilizer bags piled as high as I could get and off I went. The motor is a strange piece, it has lots of torque to pull but does not like to rev that well. It is hard to rebuild as the cylinders are one piece as I recall...unless you have the liquid cooled 3 cylinder version. You can put an onan engine in them, and then they really rip with a 20hp. Take off in second and they lay rubber quite a ways. There is a version for meter readers that has a higher gear and will go 35mph or something...you can change the gears. The three wheels are nicer to use and drive normally, the 4 wheels always rode harder and steered hard. Take it easy on the corners with a three wheel obviously, but they are more stable than you think, especially if you have some weight in the back. The suspension is set for weight and so its not the best offroad. Last I knew Ransomes bought cushman, but they might be owned by Jacobsen. At the time I worked at a Toro place that sold them, they changed name from Cushman to Ransomes....but then they took them away and no longer could Toro places sell them. Toro tried to buy but bid too low I guess.
Sho305

Postby COPB » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:12 pm

They have a Cushman 3 wheeler at the local golf course. This thing is a real beast. The kids load it up with, about, a half yard of wet sand and race around the course. They may be only going 23MPH but look like they are flying. This machine is a beast.
El Gato The Cat
COPB

Postby ruredy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:43 am

Ransomes bought cushman, but they might be owned by Jacobsen. At the time I worked at a Toro place that sold them, they changed name from Cushman to Ransomes....but then they took them away and no longer could Toro places sell them. Toro tried to buy but bid too low I guess.

Sho, Jacobsen owns both of them now. Ransomes are now dedicated to overseas operation (not in this country). Cushmans are now made by Ezgo and branded. And they have Stiener in there somewhere, its hard to keep track of what the pin-heads at Textron (they own all of them) are doing with these companys now. It seems to change every few months. But you can get parts and info for Cushmans from Jacobsen and Ezgo. I would go to Jacobsen first, They haven't updated all of thier price lists for parts and on some parts you can get them cheaper than what it cost Jacobsen to buy or make them.
Jon
ruredy

Postby Sho305 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info. Too bad for Toro as the cushman stuff was a good product to sell. Not fancy, but durable. I should have bought that truckster I found that time with the 20hp onan, it really hauled.
Sho305

Postby MADE4MUDD357 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:40 pm

i had my cushman metermaid up to 55 on its speedo its a 3 cylender 3 wheel
MADE4MUDD357

Postby StoveBolt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:39 pm

How about this one?

StoveBolt

Postby blackbyrd31 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:36 pm

where can i buy one of these?
blackbyrd31

Postby StoveBolt » Sun May 25, 2008 7:04 pm

StoveBolt

Postby StoveBolt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 am

StoveBolt

Postby nmmountainman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:40 am

I have a 4 wheel van style, it was made in 82'. had a 18hp engine but I put a stroker kit in it and now its 22 hp. you can buy gearing for the differential to make it go higher speed or in my case to give it more low end torque. I lifted it as well, currently i have 27" tires on it, but I intend to put on smaller tires as even with lower gearing and higher hp it just doesn't have enough umph to climb hills in the mountains with the large size of tires. I posted a pic of mine on this forum a while back. since then I have painted it and done some additonal work.
nmmountainman

Postby nmmountainman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:42 am

nmmountainman

Next

Return to Other Manufacturers Gas