Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Navitas DSE 1000 Controller / terminals vs. clamp?

Navitas DSE 1000 Controller / terminals vs. clamp?

Postby jon olivieri » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:00 pm

This is the controller used in my '05 Bad Boy Buggy
Finally with the help of their representative (they are in Canada)
I am able to properly use my Pro Bit Programmer.
The brakes are working fine now and it is a relief to have it back in proper service.

After finding this forum very recently and reading most all 175 or so pages of the EZ Go electric forum I feel like I am at least learning.
I want to change out the cables. It currently uses the lead to lead clamp style. The size of cable seems large enough but am I wrong in assuming that the terminal crimped on with the tool you hit with a hammer and then shrink wrap is a better connection? Seems to stay tight on the cart we have with them but mine are loose quite often with the lead clamp style.
Thanks for any help.
jon olivieri

Postby caddiemaster » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:52 pm

I have noticed the same problem with every Bad Boy I have worked on. The automotive style lead clamp terminals worrk loose and burn the battery post. I have replaced quite a few of those over the years with crimp style terminals.

It seems like the lead clamp style are almost too big.

John
caddiemaster

cables

Postby jon olivieri » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:41 pm

John,
Almost all of them are too long and there is sufficient wire
to clip ends and put on terminals.
Is this wire still good or should I go with new 01 wire or?
Being in Mendocino coumty corrosion is a hugh problem.
Money is not a concern, I want to do what is best, but not be needlessly wasteful
jon olivieri

Postby caddiemaster » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi, if you change the battery wires to larger gauge it will not do any good unless you change all wires in cart.

After you cut the lead terminals off, strip back the insulation 1/2" and examine the copper strands for corrosion, if none is evident then go ahead and use it. Most only need to be 6" long, so I know what you mean about them being too long.

Essentially keep cutting the cable back till no corrosion, or just get some new 2 gauge welding cable and make new.

If you do not mind, can you fill me in a little on the programming of that controller? Such as did you have to buy a hand scanner, patch cord? Any info you can give I would appreciate it.

I have worked on a bunch of Bad Boy's but not on the new controller.

Thank you

John
caddiemaster

Return to Other Manufacturers Electric