Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Ruff-N-Tuff "HELP"

Ruff-N-Tuff "HELP"

Postby Big Hack » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:06 am

Guys,

I've been trying to find the Ruff-N-Tuff website now for a couple of days with no luck. If anyone knows the address, please post it for me.

Also, does anyone out there have any opinions about their Ruff-N-Tuff cart? Mine just made 2 years old and my batteries are shot. They won't last 6 hours now as compared to 3-4 days last year. I use it around the farm to check on cattle and drop off bales of hay. I contacted my local dealer and was told that the 8 volt dry cell batteries I have (original batteries) are discontinued and they have went to gel batteries. According to him I need a new charger also for the new batteries.

Any Advice?

Thanks,

Hack
Big Hack

Postby caddiemaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:50 pm

Try www.ruffandtuff.net

There is a reason that American golf car companies have not gone to those batteries, they do not have a good lifespan.

John
caddiemaster

Postby Big Hack » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks John,

I'm hoping that I can change them out for the new gel batteries and not have to change out the charger. Or I will look into going to 8 -6 volt batteries.

I just can't understand why he told me I had to change out my charger. I thought a 48 volt charger would charge any type of batteries.

I've contacted the company for more info. I'll post it as soon as I receive a reply.

Thanks,

Hack
Big Hack

Postby caddiemaster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi, because that is correct. It has to do with amp load and chargers frequency.

Some aftermarket chargers are designed to be switched between different type of batteries.

If you charge standard wet lead acid batteries with a charger designed for gel, or AGM batteries you will severly shorten the life of the new batteries.

John
caddiemaster

Postby caycebugs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:12 am

i may be a little late on this topic but i had a brand new 2005 ruff n tuff with factory gel batteries that was stolen from the beach. i replaced it with a used ez-go. anyway, i cannot offer an opinin on the life of the batteries or quality of cart but i do have a 48 volt charger for gel batteries that has not been used a dozen times. if you are interested, email me, i will give you a great deal on the charger.
caycebugs

Re: Ruff-N-Tuff "HELP"

Postby dsmith3506 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Ruff N Tuff is anything BUT Rough and Tough. My wife purchased one of these for me 2 years ago to replace a Club Car. Funny thing is the Club Car is still going and the Ruff and Tuff has had a siezed up brake cable and now the rear end motor section continues to lock up. This cart has less than 100 miles on it and is only used to run around on 7 acres up and down some hills. The Club Car keeps on going though.
dsmith3506

Postby Chicos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 am

I have to agree with the other posters. I bought a 2008 just over two years ago, and the batteries are down to just about 3 hrs of life before needing to charge as well. AND i have had the emergency cable break on mine as well (similar to another poster) so the cart now needs a break job. BUT NOW IT GETS WORSE. The geniuses at ruff and tuff ran out of shoes, and are having difficulty getting new ones from China (thank you very much 'Made in America'). I called the place in NC and the lady tried to sell me the entire drum assembly. I told her a better idea would be to break into the assembly, send me the shoes and replace them when their little pissing contest was over. Meanwhile they'd have a happy customer.

Well apparently they're not interested in, or even know what, a 'happy customer' is; after not returning my messages, I called back and they changed their tune; they do NOT have an assembly for my cart. complete 180 degrees from the previous chat. So here I sit with a dead R and T with no time schedule as to when or if they will ever get the part. Did I mention I use this for my business, and until this gets rectified, I'm using a 35hp tractor to do this cart's duties???

In short, I would NEVER EVER recommend one of these p.o.s. carts to ANYONE, shoddy batteries, shoddy equipment AND shoddy customer service.
Chicos

Postby caddiemaster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Chicos, A great alternative would be an aftermarket disc brake kit. I would have to look at a Ruff n Not tuff to see if they would work, but an E-Z-GO disc kit may work.

John
caddiemaster

Postby gaylaw2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Chicos wrote:I have to agree with the other posters. I bought a 2008 just over two years ago, and the batteries are down to just about 3 hrs of life before needing to charge as well. AND i have had the emergency cable break on mine as well (similar to another poster) so the cart now needs a break job. BUT NOW IT GETS WORSE. The geniuses at ruff and tuff ran out of shoes, and are having difficulty getting new ones from China (thank you very much 'Made in America'). I called the place in NC and the lady tried to sell me the entire drum assembly. I told her a better idea would be to break into the assembly, send me the shoes and replace them when their little pissing contest was over. Meanwhile they'd have a happy customer.

Well apparently they're not interested in, or even know what, a 'happy customer' is; after not returning my messages, I called back and they changed their tune; they do NOT have an assembly for my cart. complete 180 degrees from the previous chat. So here I sit with a dead R and T with no time schedule as to when or if they will ever get the part. Did I mention I use this for my business, and until this gets rectified, I'm using a 35hp tractor to do this cart's duties???

In short, I would NEVER EVER recommend one of these p.o.s. carts to ANYONE, shoddy batteries, shoddy equipment AND shoddy customer service.

I was going to buy a ruff n tuff 2007 I guess we better not. It was going to replace my still running club car but now I don't know if it is a good idea
gaylaw2

Postby jschoonfield » Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 am

caddiemaster wrote:Hi Chicos, A great alternative would be an aftermarket disc brake kit. I would have to look at a Ruff n Not tuff to see if they would work, but an E-Z-GO disc kit may work.

John

Hi Caddiemaster, I was wondering if you looked into that. We use the Ruff n Tuff here at the airport, 24/7 365. We are having nothing but problems with the brakes. Our management has givin us the green light to upgrade the brakes. But I can not find any info on what disc brakes to use.
jschoonfield

Postby MS Hunter » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Even though all of the other posts appear to be several years old, I just found this site and thought I would post my own comments about my Ruff n Tuff 4x4. Based upon these other posts, It seems as though I may be the lucky exception. I bought mine in 2009 and since it qualified as an "electric road vehicle" (license and all) I got a very nice tax credit that cut the price in half. I have not had a single problem with my cart and it is going into it's 6th deer season of regular use. I still have the original batteries and so far, they appear to be doing fine. During the off season, I bring it home to clean it up and use it for running around the neighborhood. I just recharged it today for the first time since February. During the deer season, I charge it every night as I don't like to go out with less than a full charge. One thing that may help others is that when I bought it, the service manager told me to buy a small electric "clip On" type fan and direct the air on the charger while it is charging. I do this even when it is freezing over night. Don't know for sure if it helps, but, so far so good. Several other fellows at the camp have Ez-Gos and one has a Bad Boy (which is now owned by Ez-Go) and I have had to tow them in on more than one occasion during the past 5 deer seasons. Again, it looks like I am the exception with the experience I have had with my Ruff n Tuff. Just hope writing this post does not jinx my experience and start troubles for me.
MS Hunter

Return to Other Manufacturers Electric