Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

OK, Guy's Ruff & Tuff. Opinions please!

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

OK, Guy's Ruff & Tuff. Opinions please!

Postby cartmaster » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:10 am

OK, Now Ruff & Tuff have been around a while now and have had a chance to play the field. Anyone out there had good / bad Experience with them? anyone got any comments whatsoever! I am currently involved with a product from the same factory and for over ten years it has outperformed anything on the market in the UK. I now wonder wether it is worth taking on the sole UK dealership with them. I have agreed to add Melex to my range and now looking for an off the shelf, Lifted high powered cart to offer ( saves me building them :lol: ) Past comments have been "ezgo clone" now take a look at the new front end, The rear axle can be seen on many brand carts (built in china mostly) Wrong battery arrangement ( 6x8v instaed of 8x6v ) and many other minor points.

I expect other traders / dealers will come back with negative comments and that is why I am posting this.
I will also listen to owner / operators bad points and then weigh them up against the good points.

I want to hear any bad or good comments regardless of what they are.

This way I can go back to the factory and get any changes made for the good, before I accept the dealership.

I know a lot of Chinese origin products are really bad, but i have experience with working them to produce a quality product for my requirements and i hope to do the same with the Ruff & tuff machines. I Do know that a lot of this has been done already and you only have to look at the latest models to see this.

Italian built models are also getting to be a strong conteder in the Quality department and its up to people like us, to make it happen.

Come on guys, lets have your opinions.

I am also working with the chinese to produce a completely new brand cart that is of my own design from the ground up.
Colin,
cartmaster

Postby nach2103 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:33 pm

we've just recently picked these guys up and so far we're pretty pleased overall. we've been remanufacturing Club Cars for the last year since we opened up and had to over look some of the minor things like jagged body lines and slight paint imperfections as our carts are custom painted and take about a week to build. i think you'll be hard pressed to find a more powerful and genuine company to deal with. the owner and sales rep paid us a visit about 3 weeks ago to check out our store as we're the sole dealer within about 125-175 miles. we currently have 2 of the four passenger cruisers, 2 golf cars, 1 hunter and 5 standard cruisers with various bolt on acccessories on them. one complaint is i've yet to have one hit 25mph. most over around 17.3 - 20.8 on two different GPS devices.
nach2103

Ruff and Tuff

Postby Holtville » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm

I had two of them year before last. I also had a few Fairplays. I had one of my employees tour the plant in China (and a few others). Overall, I would say the R/T was a much higher quality cart than the the others I've seen from China, but still isn't where it needs to be to gain any real market share in the US. The Fairplays are getting better, but again, they don't compare to a cart made in the US. Using high end electrical components helps, but I've had "stainless" steel on some of these begin to rust in a few months, and I'm in a part of the country that get nearly no rain. (.25" year)
And I still haven't been able to figure out why the chinese carts cost close to the same as one made here is the states. It seems they should be selling for a lot less than they are, with labor costs of about four bucks a day, right?
Ford Think Neighbor
Marketeer
Think (project)
EZGO XL500
Others in various states of disrepair
Holtville

Postby cartmaster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, i apologise for not getting back here sooner, but since posting we have been setting up in a much larger shop at a prime location in the UK.

I appreciate your comments, particularly on the price comparisons. In the UK i concentrate on remanufacturing EZGO carts because of the high price of new ones. ie a new TXT costs ?3600 trade, Thats around $7000 now would you pay that for a new cart? I can supply a fully lifted cart with nice paint for ?2000, thats around $3900, fully rebuilt and serviced etc. The Ruff and tuff, i can import for around $2800 off the shelf to my own specifications. Now you see why I have been considering them as a good line to run alongside the EZGO. and the plus side is the accessories will suit either brand, along with a lot of the spare parts etc

Thanks again guys.
Colin,
cartmaster

Postby heath22 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:21 am

cartmaster wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, i apologise for not getting back here sooner, but since posting we have been setting up in a much larger shop at a prime location in the UK.

I appreciate your comments, particularly on the price comparisons. In the UK i concentrate on remanufacturing EZGO carts because of the high price of new ones. ie a new TXT costs ?3600 trade, Thats around $7000 now would you pay that for a new cart? I can supply a fully lifted cart with nice paint for ?2000, thats around $3900, fully rebuilt and serviced etc. The Ruff and tuff, i can import for around $2800 off the shelf to my own specifications. Now you see why I have been considering them as a good line to run alongside the EZGO. and the plus side is the accessories will suit either brand, along with a lot of the spare parts etc

Thanks again guys.

I'm looking at R/T...are you saying the EZGO parts are somewhat interchangeable?? Basically, I'm talking about the dash peices as I like the carbon fiber EZGO dash over the R/T. Other items, such as diamond plate or other cosmetics I can modify accordingly.
heath22

Postby cartmaster » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:51 am

Acording to the factory, the front cowl fits an ezgo, this must surely mean that the dash is compatible too. Thats my guess. I am assured by the factory that most accessories for the R&T will fit ezgo and accessories for ezgo will fit R&T. The only parts that will not be compatible apparantly are their new front suspension parts, as they are now wishbone and not beam axles
Colin,
cartmaster

Postby heath22 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Cool, thanks. That makes my buying decision a little easier...some other options for accessories.
heath22

Ruff & Tuff Owner

Postby shoalbass » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Heath22
I bought a Ruff & Tuff last November and this thing is awesome! If the bottom will clear it, it will climb it! Mine was a new 06 model, had some bugs, but have now got the problems replaced by the factory with 08 items (charger, batteries, voltage reducer). By the way, Ruff & Tuff is one of the best companies that I have ever dealt with as far as customer service! They stand behind their product 100%, hard to find nowdays. The cart is 100% Chinese, but seems to be of decent quality. They seemed to have some pretty major problems with the early models (06), but I think they have worked out the problems nicely. I have no regrets in my purchase so far. Have you seen the Bad Boy Billy Buggie climb a tree, my Ruff & Tuff will climb up until the backend hits the ground, as long as the trunk has a taper to get the tire started upward. I routinely ride mine 20-25 miles with a 25-30% battery drain; as long as I take it easy, it will not go that far if you climb every hill and go thru all the ditches along the way! The new onboard charger is awesome, with settings fine tuned to battery manufacturer and model.
Eat, Sleep, Fish......Repeat!!
shoalbass

Postby heath22 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks for the info shoalbass...it sounds great. Overall, I have found mixed reviews for the R/T and honestly I think it has no more issues than an EZGO or any other brand. If the EZGO (or other brands) was flawless then there would be no EZGO forums to help with issues and such. I think the R/T is just too new or not enough out there that any negatives seem like billboards...

Having said that, I just "ordered" a 2005 EZGO PDS w/ brand new Trojan batteries. I say "ordered" b/c the guy I'm buying it from is painting it red, new wheels and tires (10" and low profile), rear seat w/ seat belts, white top, white seats, and speed enhancements...all for under $3500. This is the same price as the R/T I was looking at but I get a warranty and it's red which is what I want. The former R/T dealer that I was going to buy the R/T from couldn't offer me a warranty (so he says) since he wasn't an official dealer.....oh well, I'm very excited and can't wait. This thing is ready to run as soon as I get it off the trailer. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Again, thank you shaolbass for sharing your experience with your R/T. It sounds like a great cart.
heath22

Postby VirginiaBuggy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 am

We have had a R/T for about 5 months now and love it. Compared to the bbb we used to have, it seems superior in every way. The brakes actually work and the ride is way smoother. So far no complaints. I am worried about the talk of poor battery life. Any thing I can do to squeak out every last bit?
VirginiaBuggy

Re: OK, Guy's Ruff & Tuff. Opinions please!

Postby sodbuck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 pm

I bought ruff and tuff hunter 4x4 in Aug. 2009. It's been in the shop way too often. Now I have a part in the rear end broke and the dealer can not come up with a schematic, diagram , pictures or any breakdown of the rear end. They can't even find out what chinese company made it. They said I could buy a new rear end for $1050 and it should match up with my moter, drive shaft and axles. It is a direct drive from the electric moter to the rear end. I don't like the way the said it should match up. What kind of company does'nt have a breakdown of their machines. If anyone can help, please reply.

sodbuck
sodbuck

Postby 4490gpf » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:31 am

I have an 07 cuiser burnt 3 motors and had hard time getting one also had to fight with them over a warranty issue on a 1000.00 motor that was 3 weeks old bad costumer service. then drum brakes r crap but changedto disc brakes but american disc don't make them for r&t had to modify ezgo kit R&T is a chinese cart all i can say is go AMERICAN at least u can fix what brakes and find parts
4490gpf

Postby VirginiaBuggy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Have owned a R/T for 3 years and use it only a couple weeks a year for hunting. I keep it charged when not in use but the batteries are shot after 3 years. I've already had to have the front differential repaired and need to get it repaired again. Brakes have had to be replaced. Needless to say I'm not thrilled with it.

My custom built club car with 'beast' motor, 700amp controller, and long travel suspension is way quieter, more reliable, and just as fast and powerful. Plus I've got 5 yrs out of the current batteries and they are still good.

I will give credit to R/T for having a good turning radius and fairly smooth ride. It certainly is a heck of a lot better than a BBB that I used to own. That was crap
VirginiaBuggy

Return to Other Manufacturers Electric