Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

New Member Bombardier NEV

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

New Member Bombardier NEV

Postby nite11 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:04 am

Hey Everybody!
I just bought a 1998 NEV, haven't picked it up yet. Will be needing some parts, but the batteries are only 1 year old so I have hopes of getting it working. The previous owner is telling me that the batteries charge up, but no movement, nor any sounds when the attempt to move is made!
Any ideas or suggestions? Could it be as easy as a solenoid??
Anybody here have a wiring diagram for this or any manuals or stickys on the forum?
nite11

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:19 pm

Bombardier went out of business so buying factory parts will not be easy. Hopefully someone else can chime in but from my perspective.... how good are you at wiring? :roll:

If it were my car I would rewire it with conventional parts, I know this is not the answer you were hoping for so maybe someone else has a better idea.
:wink:
Good Judgment comes from Experience and Experience from Bad Judgment.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Postby nite11 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Nate,
Thanks for the response. I found Peacock, in MI. The guy wants what seems like a lot for parts, I was hoping to maybe find a NEV boneyard???! I did find the wiring diagram in the files folder, and I am not afraid of wiring, no problem.

I started to research the electric conversions today, of S-10 and VW Beetles! AWESOME!!!! I just picked up a 1970 Beetle last week, ...................
nite11

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Personally I would remove all factory wiring related to the motor drive then follow a basic wiring diagram. I would also choose a series motor, I do not know if the stock motor is series wound or shunt wound. If you have regen it is shunt wound.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Please Help Me Identify This Part

Postby nite11 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:20 pm

I just brought this Bombardier NEV home. When I bought it I was told it was complete, but not running. Now, I've maybe discovered why it's not running!

On what I'll call the firewall, below the charge connector, inside the vehicle, and under the cup holder, there is a aluminum panel with what looks like a hanger or mounting area, and three wiring connectors, 4 wires each that are just hanging, not plugged in to anything.

Please, can someone tell me which component this is? I'm thinking maybe the charger?

Is there anyone that has a NEV for parts that could sell me this unit, whatever, whichever it is that is supposed to be there! Or put me on to a supplier for this piece?

I found the wiring diagram, in the files folder, Thanks for posting it, it really helps.

Thanks In Advance,
Mike
nite11

Postby monsterfrogz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:26 pm

pictures are worth a thousand words...those words would surely help.
Well, at least i try...
You can pick your friends,
And you can pick your nose,
But you can't pick your friend's nose.
♪♫Music ♪♫
1999 Ez-Go TXT Electric.
Stock. workin tword 48v cart.
Purple Under glow.
monsterfrogz

Postby nite11 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:47 pm

According to the wiring diagram, this missing component may be the charger? While the color codes don't match completely, the number of plugs going to it are three. The only other components use less plugs, or plugs with more terminals.

Does the charger mount vertically under the dash? And accessible by removing the cupholder?

What is the component under the main tunnel, in front of the brake handle?

I hear it "singing" when the AC line is plugged in.

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks
nite11

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:01 pm

nite11, I have only seen Bombardiers in pictures never in person. If they have regenerative braking they have a shunt motor if they do not have regen they use a series motor. Both these types of motors have a basic way to wire them that has to be common among ALL motors of same type. Yes manufacturers and dealer like to throw twists and angles to the wires but they can only add extra things, they are still forced to follow basic wiring. If you can't find someone who can put it back to factory then you go basic then many golf cart parts from many brands will work.

Chargers should simply charge the pack with two DC wires, I don't know if the Bombardier has on-board charging or not.

I am guessing you are not in Arizona...
Nate
Forum Moderator

Postby nite11 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:58 pm

NATE,
Thanks for the input. I called Peacock LTD today, and spoke to Jim Faiello, he wanted me to buy his $95.00 manual before talking to me, I explained I can't do that without knowing if I'm missing a major component! Then he looked at his manual and told me the wires may be for the wipers and washer that this model didn't have. I will check the colors closer later.
So, with that in mind, he said probably the charger is faulty. The charger has the AC input, and three other plugs into it. When I plug in the charger, the battery voltage is the same as before so at this point I tend to concur with the charger idea.
I found out long ago that the Lester chargers require 12 volts present before they kick in, so I charged the aux batt as it was low, the drive batts do have 12 volts already.
It takes an act of God to remove the charger on these so until that happens, or I have patience with it, I'm moving on to other things! Trying to get a Ford Ranger with bad GAS engine, and some other projects started/finished, ya know!

NATE, do you know who made this charger or who is a reputable source of a schematic for chargers? They have to have similarities, despite manufacturer?

Thanks,
Mike
nite11

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:05 pm

$95 before you can discuss what is wrong... are you sure you want to fool with this NEV?

Batteries don't care what charger charges them as long as the charger is rated for the correct voltage. What voltage is this NEV? Lester is one battery charger maker but I am not familiar with the one the Bombardier uses.

I am afraid the Bombardier is going to need some custom work, if you can't do that you will have to pay for it and that won't be cheap. That NEV was not around long enough to be well known so that forums like this one could answer questions. If I were right in front of the NEV I could answer lots of questions in a few minutes but I don't see that happening since I am in Arizona.
Nate
Forum Moderator

bombardier nev

Postby mmccraw » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 pm

I live in Peachtree City, GA with its 6000 registered golf carts. Before I built my 2004 CC, I looked at a local dealer who had two in used cart inventory. They are very cheap. He told me of the need to use a fork lift to remove the battery pack and the extreme cost of replacement parts for them. They are very cute, but if Bombardier could not make a go of them, then I would get rid of it. There are reasons things succeed and things fail. My local dealer may be one of the few honest guys around.
mmccraw

Postby monsterfrogz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:41 pm

man, i would love to live in peachtree!
Well, at least i try...
♪♫Music ♪♫
1999 Ez-Go TXT Electric.
Purple Under glow.
monsterfrogz

Peachtree City, GA

Postby mmccraw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Great place to live, over 100 miles of dedicated, paved golfcart trails and streets under 30 mph. Numerous bridges and tunnels for golfcarts only. Now for the other side. Speed limit is 20 mph and is strictly enforced. But we do have numerous dedicated parking spots for golfcarts only at the many shopping centers. Not a retirement community, just a great suburb 16 miles from Atllanta. There is one registered golf cart for each home, obviously some have none, and some more than one.
mmccraw

Postby monsterfrogz » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:16 pm

i know...ive looked up some videos on youtube....i wanna be in a golf cart traffic jam! :D lol..
Well, at least i try...
♪♫Music ♪♫
1999 Ez-Go TXT Electric.
Purple Under glow.
monsterfrogz

Bombardier NEV

Postby trojan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:17 pm

I have a friend who has one. It has not been used in 2-3 years. Sits outside in the mountains of NC. If any one has any experience with one, please let me know. He can't work on cart because of physical limitations. I will be doing most of the work.
I read on the forum about needing a palate hoist to remove batteries??
Any help will be appreciated.
96 CC
18 HP B&S Big Twin
6" spindle lift
Air horn
trojan

Next

Return to Other Manufacturers Electric