Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

1973 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

1973 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Postby garrison.ellis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 pm

I jost got a Harley davidson golf cart for free from my grandpa and am in the process of getting it running.

From what i can tell from the seriel number (3B10487H3) it is a '73 and it is a model D. It has a gas motor but my question is if it is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I put a new battery in it and changed the fuel filter and spark plug. it wont start tho. I put just normal gas but i am thinking it might be a 2 stroke by the way it is sputtering and not starting .

any help would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by garrison.ellis on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrison.ellis

Re: 1973 Harley Havidson Golf Cart

Postby Craigs carts » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:01 am

you need to add 1.5 oz of oil to every gallon of gas.
Craigs carts

Postby 73Eldo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 am

Yep its a 2 stroke with no oil injection so you newex to mix 2 stroke oil in the gas. Its 85:1 which like Craigs said above that is 1.5 oz per gallon.

Basics to look at:

An engine needs: suck in proper air fuel mix, squish, bang, exhaust, repeat......

Safely jack the back wheels off the ground or remove the belt so you dont run yourself over if/when it starts.

Do you have spark? Remove the spark plug, re connect the wire and lay it on an exposed metal part of the head and step on the gas to crank the engine. Ideally you should have a nice sharp blue spark every time the engine makes a complete turn. In the real world any any sort of a spark (usually more of a dull yellow) should be fine. If you have the spark then observe how fast the engine turns over without the spark plug in. Put the plug back in and crank it again. The engine should turn much slower and have a point where it really seems to strain to complete the turn. If it does not slow down at all its likely shot. If it does slow down then we got to keep working at the fuel system. If you are unsure if it slowed down you should get a compression tester. Its the same tester you would use on a car engine. They can be had for $20-30 now days and many auto parts and tool rental places will rent them cheap or free. With that tool you can confirm you have compression. If its good then you can keep working on other issues. If its not good then time to save up for some new engine parts.

If you dont have spark:
First thing is get a automotive test light or volt meter. These can be had at autoparts or 'home' stores for under $20 now days. Hook black wire to bare metal and the red to the + terminal on the coil. Hit the gas and it should go to 12V. Move the black wire to the - side of the coil and see if you get 12V blips as the engine turns over. if you have an automotive style meter set it to 'tach' and you should get an RPM readout (it will read 2x faster than actual being a 2 stroke). If you have those blips or a tach signal and still no spark try a new plug, then try new wire, if still no then try new coil. If no blips then you need to go after the points which are under that round cover in the middle of the fan. First observe if you see them open and close as the engine turns. If they do take a dollar bill and get it between the contacts when they are closed and slide it back and fourth. Its sort of like fine sandpaper to clean the contacts. Try again. Do you have spark at the plug? Do you see a spark at those contacts?

Give that stuff a try and let us know what you find.

The voltmeter is a must have tool for any sort of handyman. If you like to tinker with engines getting one that has the automotive features like TACH and Dwell is well worth it and most of those will also do regular household and electronic stuff also so its a real handy tool to have. If you dont have the bucks to get a new one check the usual used places like Craigs List, Ebay, and local pawn shops. The compression tester is nice also but you dont use it that often so borrow or rent one if you can.
82 HD gas 3w w/wheel
7? HD gas 4w both with HEI ignition
Im not and addict, I can quit (buying carts) when ever I want ! HELP!!
73Eldo

Postby garrison.ellis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 pm

alright. its got a spark and i got a compression tester and it read 90 psi. is that normal? any other suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
garrison.ellis

Re: 1973 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Postby garrison.ellis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 pm

ok guys. i had a mechanic friend of mine come check it out. he said my throttle linkage cable is kinked and doesnt work at all so i need a new one of those. and also i need either a bushing rebuild kit for my carb or a new carb. does anyone know where i can find those items?
garrison.ellis

Re: 1973 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Postby 73Eldo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am

Seems like there were a few different cables over the years. Some seem to still be available some not. Usually on those carbs the shaft wears before the bore does so a new throttle shaft will do the trick. Make sure you also order the throttle blade because it usually gets worn also. Try calling BU , they seem to have harley parts that are not listed on the site. If that fails then some quality time on google searching for vintage golf cart parts should turn up some leads.
82 HD gas 3w w/wheel
7? HD gas 4w both with HEI ignition
Im not and addict, I can quit (buying carts) when ever I want ! HELP!!
73Eldo

Return to Harley Davidson / Columbia ParCar Gas