Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

New Forward/Reverse Switch

New Forward/Reverse Switch

Postby Maxfax » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Since these old Harleys weren't really intended to be romped though mud/snow/water/cow s**t I've had a ton of problems with moisture getting in the forward reverse switch.. SO finally a friend of mine swiped me some 4 pole solenoids from work (he maintain's electric forlifts in a warehouse).. Got a toggle on the dash for forward and reverse and no more damp corroded switch issues... Just though I'd share this, I'm so pleased with it so far..
Maxfax

Re: New Forward/Reverse Switch

Postby 73Eldo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Cool. I have had the same thought. Didnt the stock key switch have a F and R?
82 HD gas 3w w/wheel
7? HD gas 4w both with HEI ignition
Im not and addict, I can quit (buying carts) when ever I want ! HELP!!
73Eldo

Postby Maxfax » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:34 am

This one had the big switch mounted on the floor between the seats.. The original key was just On and Off.. That is if it was original... The idle switch under the key is proving to be rather nice too... Bypasses the micro switch for when it get's full of water and craps out.. Also is handy when I use the cart as a 2cycle flashlight or jump starter
Maxfax

Postby Maxfax » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:25 am

Here's a link to the diagram of how I have mine wired up... I'ce seen these solenoids on ebay selling for about 40 bucks a pair.. Now sure how they are as far as quality goes though...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm12 ... SGDIAG.jpg
Maxfax

Postby nhrata » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 am

heres one that roger and terry from BU sent me.
i'm working on mine now for no reverse at times. Contacts going bad in the key switch . This is to rewire the forward/reverse key . i just though it might help Image
nhrata

Postby Maxfax » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Much better diagram, and about the same setup as I have..... Not sure why the diode though... Maybe to prevent arcing in the key switch???
About the only difference is that I have both solenoids off for forward and both on for reverse.. Idea being the relays may last longer, and can fail and the cart will still have forward.. That and no need for a 3 way switch.. My key is simply on and off which would have worked for forward and reverse the way I wired, but I also have the lights, hour gauge, gas gauge, and cigarette lighter on the key..
Maxfax

Postby nhrata » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:16 pm

i think it's for the backup buzzer
nhrata

Postby john 3 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Maxfax wrote:Since these old Harleys weren't really intended to be romped though mud/snow/water/cow s**t I've had a ton of problems with moisture getting in the forward reverse switch.. SO finally a friend of mine swiped me some 4 pole solenoids from work (he maintain's electric forlifts in a warehouse).. Got a toggle on the dash for forward and reverse and no more damp corroded switch issues... Just though I'd share this, I'm so pleased with it so far..

maxfax i was trying the 4 pole soleniods just like in your photo i can only get forward do you have wiring diagram thanks john ps i have 1983 columbia
john 3

Postby *Merlin* » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 pm

I hope I don't cross any lines here, but this mod is bad a$$.
*Merlin*

Postby Maxfax » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:02 am

Best thing I could have done.. Not more wet switch problems.. I added an idle switch too.. Makes for a great 2 stroke flashlight/jump starter... ALl that involved was a toggle switch in parallel with the micro switch..

Here's a link to the diagram.. (too big to post here}
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/maxfax3/SGDIAG.jpg

I didn;t include the wiring to the coil and main solenoid on here since that wiring remains the same...
Maxfax

Postby Harley-GO » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am

I can't believe I missed this original posting back in March. I have been thinking about doing the samething this winter. Thanks Maxfax!!! You saved me a lot of work!!! I didn't even think about putting an idle switch in. That's a great idea. Just wish I had this all done now when I am working on the house and garage. I also love the console.

One other question, you have a switch for forward/reverse, idle, what is the third switch above the hour meter? Also, how is your hour meter controlled? Does it turn when the key is in the on position? or just when the engine is running?
IZZY
Harley-GO

Postby Maxfax » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:07 pm

The switch above the hour meter is the head & tail lights.. And the yellow button is the ever necessary Caddy horn :twisted:

I have the hour meter wired to the coil so it only runs when the engine is running.. I wish I would have thrown that on there when I got the car.. Real nice for maintenance, and just plain seeing how long the engine lasts...

The other think I like about having the idle switch is that it makes descending hills much smoother.. With the micro switch as soon as I let of the gas and the engine quits it would coast freeley.. Then there's the game of trying to balance the throttle enough to keep the engine running and engauge the primary drive enough to allow the engine to hold it back, but not so much that you accelerate.. (Real challenge on these bumpy dirt trails) With the idle switch and the idle speed set just right it'll hold back now yet still sit and idle without moving on it's own..

I also love the console

Thanks!!

The console was originaly to get all the electrics out of the front wheel well so that they didn't get so wet and muddy.. Makes it much easier to access the switches and such too (remove 4 screws and it's on your lap) I have a similar panel on the other side that flips down to reveal a little glove box.. The aluminum panels are actualy the front of the the crisper bin out of an old fridge.. :mrgreen:
Maxfax

Postby Hiperf2007 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 am

nhrata wrote:heres one that roger and terry from BU sent me.
i'm working on mine now for no reverse at times. Contacts going bad in the key switch . This is to rewire the forward/reverse key . i just though it might help Image

Holy S**t Where would you find those solenoids?
Hiperf2007

Postby Maxfax » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Ebay!!! Everything can be found there.. I got a new in box pair for under $40 shipped.. Nice heavy industrial ones too...
Maxfax

Postby Hiperf2007 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:12 am

Maxfax wrote:Ebay!!! Everything can be found there.. I got a new in box pair for under $40 shipped.. Nice heavy industrial ones too...

Are these 5 post CON?
Hiperf2007

Next

Return to Harley Davidson / Columbia ParCar Gas