Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Par Car 2- cycle no power

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

Postby QTR » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:04 pm

I have what I think is a 1992 or so Par Car 2- stroke. It starts up fine, but has very little power and won't build up any RPM's. If I lift the rear tires off the ground it runs and rev's up great. I have cleaned and re-set then carb, new air filter as well. It is as if the govenor is zapping all the power. Any help?
QTR

Postby Keyguy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:13 pm

QTR,
Have you checked for plugged/restricted exhaust?
How long since you changed the plug?

Jimmy B.
"The only stupid question is one not asked."
1996 CC-Gasser-WILD THING
Lift, BearClaw's w/22's
Fender flairs, Diamond rockers
Front brakes
Roll cage
670cc V-Twin, HS gears
Keyguy
Site Admin

Par Car no power

Postby QTR » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:18 am

Sorry to say I already tried both of those ideas. I put in a new plug and also have taken off the pipe to look to see if a mouse or somthing decided to build his house inside. Everything looks fine. Any other ideas?
QTR

Postby Cartfixer » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:52 pm

Check compression and check on the back of the drive clutch for a worn out governor button. its a little plastic piece, that snaps in place, they do wear out and will kill the speed of the cart.
Cartfixer

Par Car no power

Postby QTR » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:34 am

Gov. button? I looked on the back (tapered portion)of the clutch and there is no button, just a hole about the size of a silver dollar with two notches on the edges. Sounds like I might be missing somthing?

Compresion... Do you have a spec that I should be looking for?

Thanks
Mike
QTR

Postby Cartfixer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:30 pm

OK, so your cart doesn't even have the button installed. You need to get one. Is the governor arm installed? It is the arm that would ride on that button.
Cartfixer

Postby QTR » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:59 pm

No cap... No Arm. You stated that the lack of a governer will zap power from the car? I thought the purpose of a governer was to control speed? Could the lack of the governer be causeing the car not to run when under load? As I stated the car runs fine with the back tire off the ground, it is only under load that it acts up.
QTR

Postby StuckInWawa » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:32 am

Does the reed leaf look ok? No severly bent or broken leafs? A bad reed assembly will allow mixture to flow back through carb and into the air filter canister. A missing reed leaf is like a hole in the crankcase. The crankcase is not properly sealed causing little gas to reach the combustion chamber. It would be a huge reason the engine is starving for fuel under load. I spent 3 weeks trying just about everything until I realized it was a broken leaf.
StuckInWawa

Postby QTR » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:23 pm

I took you idea on the reed leaf. I tore into it and really don't see that it is bad. I did however flip it over and put things back together. Doesn't really run any different now good or bad from before. I think I may order and new leaf anyway and keep on trying.
QTR

Postby StuckInWawa » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:02 pm

The reed leaf only fits one way, one side of the reed leaf is flat while the other side has it built up to cover the eight holes, you need to make sure the built up side is facing the holes. If the leafs are not broken then your problem lies somewhere else. From your reply it looks like you'll need to flip the reed plate back to where it was before. Have you looked at your clutches, I would try there next, maybe your drive belt too.
StuckInWawa

Par Car More trouble

Postby QTR » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:07 pm

After trying everything else I could think of, I decided to rebuild the top half of my Par Car. I purchased and kit and everthing came apart and went back together with ease... until I tried to restart the engine. It will only roll over with the spark plug removed. If I install the plug the started will not roll the engine over, with out it rolls over just fine. What did I do wrong?
QTR

Postby G1FREAK » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:54 pm

Well atleast now you have compresion. check battery, if its good then starter is weak. I had the same problem with a harley I rebuilt. hope this helps.
96 EZ-GO LIFTED 10 INCHES 24 INCH TIRES
KAWASAKI MULE DRIVE TRAIN, HOME MADE FRONT A-FRAME SUSPENSION, 4-WHEEL HYDRAULIC BRAKES,WILL POST PICS WHEN I FINISH THE ROLL CAGE.
G1FREAK

Par Car weak starter?

Postby QTR » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:59 pm

Is that possible? Wouldn't a started either work or not work? Its not the battery, I have a rather strong battery charger with a booster on it and even with that it won't turn over.
QTR

starter

Postby G1FREAK » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:15 pm

Maybe one of the pro s will jump in here...
But it sounds to me like the starter is weak.
96 EZ-GO LIFTED 10 INCHES 24 INCH TIRES
KAWASAKI MULE DRIVE TRAIN, HOME MADE FRONT A-FRAME SUSPENSION, 4-WHEEL HYDRAULIC BRAKES,WILL POST PICS WHEN I FINISH THE ROLL CAGE.
G1FREAK

Postby Cartfixer » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:53 pm

Was the head milled? This is the only time I have seen that a starter won't turn the motor over. Weak starter? Rare, but possible. Try this, don't screw the spark plug in all the way, allow some of the compression to escape, see if it wil run.
Cartfixer

Next

Return to Harley Davidson / Columbia ParCar Gas