Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Governor Adjustment 2007 YDRA "Drive"? See Illustrations

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

Governor Adjustment 2007 YDRA "Drive"? See Illustrations

Postby RogoAZ » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:22 am

Hello all,

I need help to understand how the governor works on these carts. Not really interested in speed, just curious how it works. I've read many posts, even looked at video's, but none of it seems to match the setup of our 2007 Yamaha Drive. Any help would be appreciated using the below picture.

Q: What in the heck does this governor shaft (#5) do inside the differential case?

I should mention the bolt/cable that holds nut #2 and nut #4 is not fully threaded. On the backside where nut #4 is located there is a gap with no threads. This is the area where the spring sits. So there is very little adjustment that can be made on this shaft. Several posts make the pedal cable direct to the carburetor. I'm not looking to do anything on this golf car.

Thanks - In Advance.

2007 Yamaha Drive - Top View of Rear DifferentialImage
Last edited by RogoAZ on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogoAZ

Re: Governor Adjustment G29 "Drive"? See Illustration Rev Limtr

Postby RogoAZ » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:36 am

There is a very small adjustment that can be made to cable #1. I was able to adjust the cable outward about 1/4 of an inch. After loosening #4 as much as possible but leaving room for the spring to attach. I then tightened #2 to take up that slack and pull the cable outward, away from the bracket. This is about the maximum adjustment that can be made. There aren't enough threads left to do much more.

This appears to have increased the RPM limit. I will have to test the MPH next to a car to validate. It sure seems faster for sure.
RogoAZ

Postby RogoAZ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:43 pm

ANYONE OUT THERE?
Bump! Tips or information would be helpful.
Last edited by RogoAZ on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogoAZ

Postby Chompy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 am

The shaft goes inside the transmission to a fork which is pushed back by centrifical weights on the input shaft. Your govenor seems to be already bypassed by the way the tension spring has been put on the other side of the govenor bracket. You can not adjust it more than that. Items 2,3, and 4 are not meant to be adjustable. They are just supposed to hold the cable. How fast is your cart going? What speed are you trying to get? Top speed on a standard cart without bigger wheels is about 18mph. Any more than that can damage your engine. Is your throttle on the carburetor opening all the way when you depress the accelerator?
Yamaha Golf Cart Dealer
Repaired over 3,000 carts last year
Chompy

Postby RogoAZ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks Chompy.

The cart goes roughly 19-20 MPH. I was told by Desert Golf Cars they could make them go up to 30MPH.

The governor or springs have not been altered or touched in any way from when we purchased it new. The dealer is the only
one who could have done anything.
Last edited by RogoAZ on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogoAZ

Postby CARTFIXER1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 am

Yeah 30, and desert golf cars, both dont belong in the same sentence.

30 can be achieved, but you need gears for that, but on a stock motor aint gonna happen.
Owner-CARTFIXER in the Villages Florida. Want your golf car fixed correctly- have a golf car mechanic work on it.
CARTFIXER1

Postby RudoFranco » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

You seem to have the same desires as I when it came to speeding up your cart. This may be helpful, I tried the cable connection but found it violent, so I purchased an electric 12v door lock solenoid then mounted it over the battery side of the cart using the seat bracket support bolts as anchorage. It’s neater to use the standard solenoid mount bracket too you can modify them to adjust tensions. Next drill a hole into the cable adjuster/ support at the carby only needs to be 2mm, connect it to the carby using trace wire (fishing 100kg) and crimp. Now through the hole you drilled then attach it to your mounted door lock and crimp. It should be tight but not so as it pulls the carby accelerator.
I used a push button auto release as my choice of solenoid control mounted on driver’s side/ vertical panel. Wire the actuator directly to the battery. Now the fun bit. Activate the solenoid and the throttle opens, release and the spring tension from the cable return will reinstate the throttle to original position. I have only set mine to open to 80%. Now I can kick asrse when I need to.
The door lock solenoids are polarity sensitive and this determines the pull direction. Hope it helps.
RudoFranco

Postby CGtech » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 am

Someone flipped the spring on the governor onto a position on that governor bracket that enables the motor to run at MAX rpm, The motor will be ok, BUT the new Drive axle input shaft and governor will Suffer a short life! You are at the max MPH speed (18-21mph) for your cart without overreving the motor. High speed gears work pretty good if you dont see many big hills, and DONT offroad with HS gears. Gears will get approx. 25 mph.
Buy a Factory service manual for your cart, you will NEVER regret it!
CGtech

Return to Yamaha Gas