Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

G9 exhaust question. Straight pipe???

G9 exhaust question. Straight pipe???

Postby nodnarbjm » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Anyone know why the part of the exhaust that bolts to the engine is biger than the tiny pipe at the end of the muffler? Would a straight pipe be a could idea?
"If it don't break...then you ain't running it hard enough!"
"Work hard....PLAY HARDER!"
nodnarbjm

Re: G9 exhaust question. Straight pipe???

Postby Djrthedad1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 am

I say for back pressure. Auto manufactures will put extra bends or sometimes crimp exhaust pipes so they can get more back pressure. I would assume if you put a straight pipe on, your cart may not run right and you will put extra wear on the piston rings. There may be ways around it but i don't know
If my head was sewn on backwards I would spend less time worrying about whats ahead and more time remembering where I have been.
Djrthedad1

Postby Chompy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 am

Ditto!
Yamaha Golf Cart Dealer
Repaired over 3,000 carts last year
Chompy

Postby nodnarbjm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:49 am

okay. thanksguys. lookslike the stock pipe is staying on uunless a dirtbike muffler would work???
nodnarbjm

Postby Djrthedad1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:32 am

If u can find one that is tuneable then it might work. They come with flat metal plates that bolt over the end of the pipe but, don't throw away your stock muffler till you know it works.
If my head was sewn on backwards I would spend less time worrying about whats ahead and more time remembering where I have been.
Djrthedad1

Postby Hans_Delbruck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 pm

hey guys,

i am new out here but I have been doing a bit of research and I saw some great g2/g9 stuff from some guys called "plowman". try googling that, they have pipe/carb mod kits....remeber...you can't get more air out unless you let more air in....in other words if you are thinking about biggers pipes it makes sense to increase the air breather systems ability to take in more air into the combustion chamber... bigger air cleaner, bigger pipe, increased combustion....you will also need to rejet the carb fro all this to work with the proper fuel mixture. plowman can help with the whole setup for pretty short money
Hans_Delbruck

Postby nodnarbjm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks! I'll go check that out.
Any idea what would happen If i didnt re-jet the carb?
nodnarbjm

Postby qmaziggy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:15 pm

The small exhaust/ large inlet combo is designed to emit the quietest sound while getting the max power the design will produce. The muffler can accululates the exhaust pulses and sends them down the tailpipe in a smoother steadier stream that is very quiet. This does not mean that it is the best system for performance. I have hand built several G2/G8/G9 exhausts and they all run much better than stock, although louder. There is absolutely no chance of ring or engine damage due to exhaust change. A main jet change is needed so it doesn't run too lean and as long as the factory rev limiter isn't bypassed, the engine will live normally. Use 1 inch tubing all the way back and put a large muffler on to control objectionable noise without excessive restriction and have fun!!
Tom Zickefoose
Ziggys Motorworks
2731 Perkiomenville Rd.
Harleysville Pa 19438
215-234-8798
qmaziggy

Postby roadking07 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:55 am

Got any pics of the exhaust you made
roadking07

Postby nodnarbjm » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:45 am

qmaziggy,

Got any pics of the exhaust you made

Ditto
nodnarbjm

Postby qmaziggy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Here you go guys. This is my 1994 G8 with the following done. Stock engine was rebuilt, I made custom stainless valves, oversize, and machined and ported the head. The combustion chamber was welded in and then re-profiled. I added a programmable MSD ignition with custom advance curve and bumped the rev limiter to 5000 RPM. The primary clutch weights are shaved and the secondary spring is wound up for better backshifts. Suspension and gearing is stock, body is a G16 with custom paint and airbrushing. The exhaust is 1 1/4 pipe for this big breather and ends wiht a Kawasaki motorcycle muffler. Low tone, not too loud. Carb is stock, with main jet drilled. I am working on the next set of revisions, considering turbocharging. I have had no issues with the engine, valves or other components. Let me know what you think!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom Zickefoose
Ziggys Motorworks
2731 Perkiomenville Rd.
Harleysville Pa 19438
215-234-8798
qmaziggy

Postby nodnarbjm » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:20 am

:shock: :shock: ! Thats alot of work on that cart. must go fast?? Thanks for the pics! How much money do you have in that cart (excluding the price of the cart itself and the body)
nodnarbjm

Postby Warlock1 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm

Hey Tom
I have a couple of questions for ya, if you don't mind.
Did you route the exhaust like that to make it easier to mount the muffler or is that done for tuning purposes (like a 2 stroke)?
What did it take to mount the newer bodywork on? Pics would be great to show the mounts.
Thanks.
Warlock1

Return to Yamaha Gas