Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Advise on installing Vanguard engine?

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

Advise on installing Vanguard engine?

Postby dgora » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:26 pm

I am looking to make my G-9 faster and more powerful.
:arrow: How hard is it to install the Vanguard engine? A lot of welding?
:arrow: Do I need a vertical shaft engine?
:arrow: Where is a good place to get one? (I'll try E-bay)
Any advise would be 'preciated,
Dave
dgora

Postby Sleepyluke » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:35 am

Send a message to walkintall. He has done several and could tell you the mistakes not to make.
Sleepyluke

Postby Larry Dornin » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:20 pm

I have a 1992 G-9 that I put a 18h.p. Vanguard in last winter and it is not really that big of a project. I made a bracket that uses the stock mounts and the original yamaha rear mounting bracket. My first adventure was to use the stock rubber mounts. Since then I welded them solid. I made a remote oil filter set-up due to the fact that it is really close to the secondary sliding sheave. I have a stock briggs muffler and the cart sounds like a Harley Roadking. I also run Turbo Blue racing gas. You have to set the motor down in the swingarm so the air filter doesn't hit the seat. I have a 6" lift and that also helps air filter to seat clearance. I used a Comet clutch and I use the stock belt. The comet clutch comes with 6 pucks that are 7/8" and I found 9 new 1" pucks which makes the clutch engage at a lower rpm. It will still pick the front wheels up from a dead stop. I have a stock inner sheave with a Jake's green spring. I hope this helps and if you need more info, send me a message. Larry
1992 G-9 W/18hp Vanguard V-twin W/hp cam,Comet 780 and hi-rev kit. 1996 G-16 18hp Vanguard V-Twin Comet 780, W/hi-rev kit. no lift kit. Custom Paint.
Larry Dornin

Return to Yamaha Gas