Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

yamaha G2 wont charge

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

yamaha G2 wont charge

Postby joedad08 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:39 pm

i have replaced at considerable cost the starter/ generator, voltage regulator, foot pedal switch, and solenoid, also new cables, fresh oil, and poured over every inch of wiring. My 1987 Yamaha G2 J38 gas golf cart will run for a while and then the battery dies and the gas motor and the starter motor are hot. when you push the pedal the starter drags (dead battery) could an over heated engine cause this? a bad igniter? please help i broke my father in laws golf cart!!!!!!!!! :shock:
joedad08
joedad08

Postby Sho305 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:43 pm

I'd say make sure the starter belt is not slipping first. I can't think of anything that would kill the battery running unless you drive the cart really slow on the starter, or have some kind of draw like huge lights. Does battery die when not running the cart? Everything in there gets hot when you run the cart so hard to tell by that.

Then I'd get a voltage meter and put it on the battery. Check your voltage should be say 12-13v at rest. Run the cart in neutral and rev the motor up some to a pretty fast idle...you should see higher voltage if it is charging, above what you saw at rest. It will not raise voltage much at slow/idle rpm, but at least 1v higher with some speed. That will tell you for sure if it is charging. With my G9 the lights get brighter soon as the clutch engages, so about that engine speed it starts charging more. Try that stuff and see if you find something. Odds are it is not charging, then you will have to investigate the voltage regulator or it has some kind of strange short. Of course ensure you secure/etc the cart if needed when you run it in neutral.
Sho305

Postby joedad08 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:00 pm

The belt is tight and everything but the ignitor is new and tests ok. 5v out put with engine idoling and at high rpm, no change. does anyone know the function of the ignitor? my red wire off the voltage reg. changes to a brown color and goes thru the ignitor before returning to the battery.... help help help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
joedad08
joedad08

Postby joedad08 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Can i bypass the igniter, or , better yet, anyway to test it??????1987 g2 yamaha 4 cycle.. also does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for this cart????? Joedad08
joedad08
joedad08

Postby Sho305 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Ignitor is expensive and more or less a CDI ignition box. They do fail when they get hot (when they go bad), but do not fail that often. It will not run with out it. Best way is to swap with another cart if at all possible.

You have 5v at the battery? That is not possible with a 12v battery check it again. If it does not have higher voltage with a little rpm than it does at rest then the regulator is not working. Voltage would go down when cranking. Regulator would be #1 thing to check if battery is going dead then starter/generator. If not that then it must have some uncommon short or something odd....or a wiring issue of course. Someone here has a diagram posted on their site but I forget who or what cart it was sorry. You might have to check your new parts as this seems strange, but anything is possible and I'm not there.

I'm not sure the regulator would charge if the voltage is around 13+v, at some point they often shut off after a full charge is attained.
Sho305

Postby Chompy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:16 pm

The red wire (actually red with white stripe) that comes off the voltage regulator should not hook up to the brown wire. It will connect to the brown wire after the key switch but it should not "change to brown" before then. The only wire going back to the positive battery terminal is the red wire that connects at the solenoid.
Yamaha Golf Cart Dealer
Repaired over 3,000 carts last year
Chompy

Postby joedad08 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks for the input fellas, I sure appriciate it. I think the cdi (igniter) box is bad. I removed the harness and checked every inch. I even retaped it and the pos/neg wires just in case. on a full charge she runs great but quickly loses its charge and of course wont start. I still cant get more than 10v out of the regulator. the power is there and cant get thru.. does any one know where to find a wiring diagram for a 1987 yamaha G2 J38 golf cart???????I would love to have a peek.... Joedad08 :lol: :?
joedad08
joedad08

Postby Chompy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 am

Do you have the voltage regulator hooked up right? Right to left it should be black / green / red and white. Also make sure the red and green wires on the starter are connected to their proper colors
Yamaha Golf Cart Dealer
Chompy

Postby Sho305 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah I would still think voltage regulator or generator wiring issue but how to find out. Most cheap meters will do a 10A draw, I would put meter in one of the power wires to the ignitor and see what it draws I guess. If it kills the battery that fast something is discharging it? On a good battery a cart will run a long time. They don't take any power if you don't have accessories added to it.

In fact maybe it is the starter/its wiring if it gets real hot, because to kill a battery like that you are going to make heat doing it unless your battery is in really weak condition. It gets warm from the engine but I suppose if you can't keep your hand on it or something then it might be draining current. I never checked one that closely. Heat might be a way to find what it is doing, maybe run it for half the time it takes to die and quick check the temp of wires and stuff.

Try doing a search here for wiring diagram, it has been posted for a yamaha before.
Sho305

Postby joedad08 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:55 pm

yeah Im hooked up ok. the heat is the key i think too. it drains FAST..... do you know if its possible for the cdi box to create these symptoms???? Its the only thing i havent replaced. joedad08
joedad08
joedad08

Postby Chompy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 pm

In the 20+ years that I have been working on Yamaha carts I have never seen a TCI draw down a battery. I have a wiring diagram here in my hand. I will see if I can get it on the web.
Yamaha Golf Cart Dealer
Chompy

Postby Chompy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 am

Yamaha Golf Cart Dealer
Chompy

Postby Sho305 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:28 am

It is unlikely the small ignitor wiring could carry much current either.
Sho305

Postby joedad08 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am

Chompy and Sho305, You guys are the best. I really appriciate the input and the pics. The wiring diagram helps me to understand the current pathways and hopefully will result in a successful repair. No luck yet but I have a feeling something has been overlooked. I think I'll take the battery somewhere and have it load tested. I'm runnin out of options here. Do you guys know how (or what makes) the feild change from "start" to "charge"?????? It would seem my 12v power is being drained by me running the cart while still in "starting mode". It does not seem to stop drawing to start charging......an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, dipped in crap..... Joedad08
joedad08
joedad08

Postby Sho305 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:44 am

Well, it has been a long time since I worked on them on small engines. Here is a nice page if you want to study it: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/e ... erator.htm

I'm not entirely sure but looks like the R and G on the starter is likely the field coil, it controls the charging. The regulator grounds the field to let it charge and cuts the ground many times a second to slow charging when battery reaches full voltage (13.5-14v). That is why you should be able to see what it is doing with a meter on the battery. Battery would be 12-13 at rest and above 13 running.

It looks like B is ground, regulator must be grounded to control the charging. You did check the fuses right? They like to blow sometimes. I can't remember if the starter shuts off or not. It looks like R is hot and the foot pedal makes R/W hot to run ignition coil, voltage reg, ignitor, and starter. The only difference here is the old generators run the field right off the large starter winding and this is separate. Since the starter relay and ignition coil run on the same hot wire I don't see how it could be shut off after starting. Unless the starter does it on its own I'm not sure. I know if you let off the pedal at speed it does stop charging.

Some generators run differently, with ground or hot on field. I know the GM and Ford cars from the 50s were not the same. I would also put a meter on it and check wires for poor connections, see if it starts charging or has bad ground...something like that.
Sho305

Next

Return to Yamaha Gas