Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

1986 G2 backfires

1986 G2 backfires

Postby mataboy3 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:28 pm

my cart is backfiring somwtimes when you let off the throttle and when you step on the throttle, the throttle cable is new and it is closing all the way. Any suggestions
mataboy3

Postby Sho305 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Jack the cart up if you need so it can't roll and/or put in neutral. Then reset the throttle cable so it idles when you start it, when you push more on the pedal it starts to give it more throttle at the carb. Then set the idle mix and speed so it idles real slow itself, not on the starter but just faster. If that don't work you can try setting the idle off so it does not idle (when holding the pedal just on) but don't let a kid or someone drive it around on the starter real slow it will kill the battery and likely the starter. Unless you have another problem, but I don't know what else would make it do that...try a tuneup and also clean the cooling fins if its ever been run in dust/dirt. It might be hot.
Sho305

Postby spriddle » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:28 am

Sounds like the valves need to be adjusted (.004) or timing is off.
spriddle

Postby Supper wrench » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:47 am

all the above may apply.... as well and......If you did adj. the gov. so it will go faster, (some times you have to back it off a little) some times you may run in to the problem where the fuel (dumped in) is to rich for the muffler. what took place is at the time you backed off the gas there was still some fuel that got by the carb. and then getting on the gas again will make it pop as now you just lit the un-burned gas in the muffler. "Cool" thats what we did in the old days turned the car off while it was still rolling and loaded the muffler up with raw gas and turned the switch back on and POW!!!!!!!
The Judge
Supper wrench

Postby Sho305 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:13 pm

Supper wrench wrote:all the above may apply.... as well and......If you did adj. the gov. so it will go faster, (some times you have to back it off a little) some times you may run in to the problem where the fuel (dumped in) is to rich for the muffler. what took place is at the time you backed off the gas there was still some fuel that got by the carb. and then getting on the gas again will make it pop as now you just lit the un-burned gas in the muffler. "Cool" thats what we did in the old days turned the car off while it was still rolling and loaded the muffler up with raw gas and turned the switch back on and POW!!!!!!!

That is true, but it can also be from either an ignition problem causing no spark then spark that ignites the fuel that passed through during no spark...or it can be from a lean condition; too lean to fire and fuel builds up in the muffler until there is enough to go bang.

One of my first jobs they had an old truck we used. We did that, turned the key off and made it backfire. Once my buddy did it and I was standing there and could see under the truck, it blew up like a bomb. I lauged so hard I cried. Just blew it open to a flat sheet of steel like a camera flashbulb....and was it loud! :shock: :lol:
Sho305

Backfire fix

Postby DOGSNUS » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 am

Yes all of the above things could be the issue. Here is what I discovered last night with my G14. It has been back firing a lot. I jacked up the rear end and started playing with the throttle to see how it all works. The problem I was having was you either went full throttle or nothing. First the govenor is used to limit your speed not control your throttle. Your pedal and carb control the throttle. So if you want the engine to go faster just like your car you give it more gas by stepping on the pedal. If you want to go slower you let up on the pedal. Here is where the back fires come in. On the golf cart you have a switch which is located usually at the gas pedal. When you step on the pedal it releases and starts the cart and turns on the power for ignition. When you let off it cuts power to the ignition. So in my case it was all or nothing. So when I would let off the pedal (trying to go slower) it would actually cut the ignition off and load the carb when I stepped back on the pedal, bang because I now had ignition again. Here is the solution and I bet it is yours also. Loosen all your throttle cables. Then there is bolt with a stop nut that is at your pedal, it will adjust how far your pedal will release. Adjust this bolt to the point that it will allow the switch to turn on by just touching the pedal and turn the switch off when you let off completely. Now adjust all your cables to the throttle/govenor so that they will open your throttle completely and release completely. You also might have to remove your gas pedal and move it on it's spline so that it will conicide with full open and full closed throttle. Now with your cart jacked up in the rear turn on your key, just barely press your gas pedal which should start your engine and keep the pedal pressed just enough to keep it at a idle speed. Now adjust your low speed screww and your butterfly stop screw to have your engine running very slow. Now step on the pedal your engine should speed up without hesitation if not adjust your low speed screw till it does. 1 turn out is the norm but I discovered that mine only needed to be out 1/4 turn. Now my cart will runs great. I can go slow or stomp on it and go full tilt all without any back firing. Problem solved. It's all in the adjustment of your ingition switch and throttle and carb not the govenor.
DOGSNUS

Return to Yamaha Gas