Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Yamaha G2A

Yamaha G2A

Postby rcarmichael » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:41 pm

My cart is backfiring through exhaust and carb. How can I fix this problem. I was told that I had to have an air tank to stop the backfiring, is this true or not, I have a K&N Air Filter on the carb, where would I plug in the joint breather pipe hose. Help!
rcarmichael

Postby fastjim11 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:57 pm

never heard of an air tank, there is a breather tube already or should be there.
the cause of you backfiring is most likely the throttle valve at the carb not closing all the way, allowing gas to flow into the cylinder when you let off the pedal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a nice well preserved body, but rather skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totaly worn out, and loudly proclaiming ... 'Wow! What a ride!'"
fastjim11

Yamaha G2-backfiring. . .Thanks fastjim11 for fast response

Postby rcarmichael » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:08 pm

Is the K&N AIr Filter ok without an airbox- - -I don't have an airbox. Will my cart still run ok. It has lots of power and I wanted to know if it will damage something if I don't have it on there. What is the purpose of the airbox
rcarmichael

Postby cart de Golf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:27 pm

your trottle cable are not aligned properly making the fire cut out before the fuel there for loading up your cylinder with fuel so when you engage the trottle again it backfires
1995 G14 Yamaha
4 seater
6 inches lift
22' all trail with predator wheels
ported polish K&N
.062" main jet runs perty good

The forum is free the adiction is costly
http://pages.videotron.com/carts/
cart de Golf

Re: Yamaha G2-backfiring. . .Thanks fastjim11 for fast respo

Postby spriddle » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 am

rcarmichael wrote:Is the K&N AIr Filter ok without an airbox- - -I don't have an airbox. Will my cart still run ok. It has lots of power and I wanted to know if it will damage something if I don't have it on there. What is the purpose of the airbox

If it's running good, leave it alone. Usually if you go with a k&n type air filter you have to go with a bigger jet in the carb. (more air/more fuel). The factory airbox seals the air filter area and helps with the vacuum of the fuel pump to synch air/fuel mixture in the carb. If the seal is broken on the factory airbox, usually you will have to pull out the choke to get the cart to run properly. Just remember if you create more air flow into the carb, you will need to create more fuel flow to synch. (most of the time).

If your cart is backfiring, 9 times out of 10, it is the throttle on the carb. not closing all the way when you let off the pedal. Just adjust your throttle cable.
spriddle

Throttle Cable

Postby rcarmichael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:04 pm

How do you adjust the throttle cable and where is the throttle cable to try to stop the backfiring, also when it backfires it blows the oil filler cap off.
rcarmichael

Postby spriddle » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:19 pm

You can adjust the throttle cable at the pedal (under the cart), at the governor (over trans/axle), and at the carb. Adjust at the carb. should do it, if not do the pedal (2 10mm nuts).

If it is blowing the oil filler cap off, more than likely the crank case vent is stopped up. Check the little breather/vent on the air box that the vent tube connects to and make sure it is not stopped up.
spriddle

Postby rcarmichael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:38 pm

thanks spriddle did adjust throttle cables still backfires dont know were tolook for adjustments on carb? can you tell me were to finde it thank you for all the help I can use it
rcarmichael

Postby spriddle » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:42 pm

Adjustment at the carb. is the cable hooked to the throttle. The cable is connected to a small arm and can be adjusted there at the carb.

Is the throttle on the carb. closing all the way when you let off the pedal? Remove the key, step on the gas and then let off, and watch the throttle on the carb. to see if it closes all the way. Does it backfire repeatedly or just when you let off the gas and all the time?

If it is not a carb. throttle problem, you may need to adjust the valves (.004 intake and exhaust).
spriddle

backfiring

Postby rcarmichael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:01 pm

Thanks spriddle you have been alot of help. Found the adjustment screw on the carb, adjusted all the way in, seems to help, but still backfires when pressing pedal at low speeds during test drive. Also adjusted the throttle cable at the foot pedal and also on the rear governor. How do I vent the crank case because it has a K&N air filter without the airbox. What would you suggest on venting? Some sort of pvc system or am I thinking the right way- - -I am not too mechanically inclined--but if you tell me how I can fix it.
rcarmichael

Postby spriddle » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:54 am

Get a fuel filter and hook it up to end of the vent hose coming off the valve cover and run it down and to the side of the engine compartment somewhere. It may leak a little oil every once in a while from the hose (just a heads up if you park it in a garage).
spriddle

Postby plolle » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:48 pm

ihave hooked up a fuel filter to the vent hose. but it blows away .i cant get it to stay. i used clamps. should it be pressure there.
plolle

Postby spriddle » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:53 pm

plolle wrote:ihave hooked up a fuel filter to the vent hose. but it blows away .i cant get it to stay. i used clamps. should it be pressure there.

It is stopped up or you installed it backwards (check to make the flow arrow is pointing out to the end where oil could seep out). The vent hose must be vented, the fuel filter just keeps it from blowing oil. I use type fuel filter on my G9 and it has been on there for about 2yrs. without getting stopped up yet.

spriddle

Valve Adjustment

Postby rcarmichael » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:58 pm

We are going to adjust the valves tonite. Then, a few more headscratches if that doesn't work. . .You have been a wealth of information. . .Also are you still looking for a front cowl? We have a couple of Golf Cart places here that I can check for you?
rcarmichael

Postby spriddle » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 am

Yes, fastjim11 needs one. A few of us went trail riding last weekend and lets just say that Yamaha's are really built tough but plastic is not as strong as steel. 8) :D

He is looking for a used cowl. Any help is appreciated. :wink:
spriddle

Return to Yamaha Gas