Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Need help with 48 volt Yamaha Charger

Need help with 48 volt Yamaha Charger

Postby countryman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 am

I have a 2011 Yamaha drive with the 48 volt charger. I used the golf car all last year but hadn't used it since November. I didn't realize that it was not good to let the batteries run down while in storage. Anyway I have got the cart out of storage and the charger is acting funny. Can anyone tell me what the following sequence means and what I need to do to fix the cart and charger.

First I plug in the charger and the red LED power light comes on. All LEDs flash for an instant and then the red light stays lit.

Second I plug the charger into the golf car, immediately there is a click, all LEDs flash. The green LED lingers while the charger buzzes. Then the charger shuts off. All LEDs go out. A minute or so later all LEDs flash, the green LED lingers while the charger buzzes. Then the charger shuts off. All LEDs go out. This pattern repeats over , and over again.

I put a meter across the battery pack and it reads 42 volts. While the charger is connected, the meter reads 42 volts, then when the charger buzzes it shoots up to about 55 volts. The charger shuts off and the voltage slowly decays to 42 which is when the charger kicks back on and the LEDs flash.

I have never seen this before with this charger. Does anyone know what it means? I have had the charger on for about 3 hours now and it is still continuing but the time between the charger turning on is getting longer and longer.

Any help would be appreciated. The charger manual does not mention this type of sequence and the error lights don't seem to be indicating anything. All of the LEDs flash at the same time.
countryman

Re: Need help with 48 volt Yamaha Charger

Postby CGtech » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:57 pm

DPI brand charger or flat light-weight yamaha charger?(either one could be factory correct. i think that the batterys may be messed up from sitting dead so long, the charger is trying to figure out why the batterys are acting so funny. i think if you let that process continue, it will charge the batterys. the batts probably dont have much capacity or run time right now. you will have to do several charge-discharge (Drive it) cycles to see what capacity can be restored to the batterys. Hate to break it to you, but allowing the batterys to go that dead and sit dead has voided the battery warranty. yamaha warranty states that the batterys can never be allowed to sit at a state of charge lower than 80% discharged. if you are going to leave your cart for a long time, you MUST have someone maintain your cart batterys while you are gone (charge them about every 3 weeks, water them as needed, and drive it around the block to excersise them, sounds funny but it will pay off with less hassles like these). even if the charger says it will take care of them while you are gone, it cant water them for you when they need it. we can tell when batterys have been mistreated by comparing the miles and amp-hours on the controller to the battery health determined by a discharge test.
Buy a Factory service manual for your cart, you will NEVER regret it!
CGtech

Postby countryman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Ok thanks for the info.

I think everything is OK now. I charged the battery pack with a schumbacher multi battery charger that can handle 48 volts. They took a good charge and now my Yamaha flat light weight charger is operating normally. Now that I know, I won't let the batteries get so low.

So you recommend during the winter to charge the batteries every 3 weeks. I can't really operate the golf car as it doesn't handle snow packed roads very well. I live at 8000 feet and typically get 30 feet of snow between Dec. and April.
countryman

Postby cnapolski » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Ouch, I have the same problem. How did you hook up your schumbacher multi battery charger?
cnapolski

Return to Yamaha Electric