Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Yamaha 48 Volt Charging Problems

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

Yamaha 48 Volt Charging Problems

Postby Kyleok » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:26 am

I have a Yamaha 2004 golf cart which is 48 volts. Everything worked fine until I was doing routine maintenance and put distilled water in the batteries. Now, the charger will charge for a time but turns off with the "abnornal cycle" light blinking. Tested the pack and it shows 50.9 volts after charging and 48.7 volts after 18 holes. I switched chargers with an identical one and still "abnormal cycle". My charger fully charged another golf cart. Did adding water cause this problem? The cart seems to run fine, but don't want to cause any long term problems by running it with the batteries not fully charged.
Kyleok

Re: Yamaha 48 Volt Charging Problems

Postby dougmcp » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 am

Adding water did not cause your problem. At 50.9 your batteries are fully charged and after 18 holes having 48.7 is at about 55% charged. It sounds a little like 1 or more of your batteries are going south.
How old are the batteries?
What are the individual battery voltages after 18 holes?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby Kyleok » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks for your reply, Doug. I'm not sure how old the batteries are, but they register 8.4 volts each when charged (approximately). I haven't tested them individually after a round, but that makes sense to do it. You are saying that a bad battery is more easily found after the round, right? I actually did have one battery that was signicantly lower than the others when I filled them. IF I find a bad battery, should I replace it with another used battery, or just pony up for a whole set?
Kyleok

Postby dougmcp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 am

Are these Trojan batteries? Most battery manufacturers have a date code, Trojan for example stamps the month and year into the neg post base with a letter and number. The letter is the month and the number is the year eg: D-8 is Apr 2008.
As far as replacing 1 or all of the batteries, the theory is all or nothing but practically speaking if all are good except 1 you could get away with just 1 if it is equal to the other used ones in the pack.
Once again it would be nice to know the year of these and the voltages after you run them down, post those up and we can go from there.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby Kyleok » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 am

I'll look for the dates on the batteries and test them as you indicated (after a round). I'll let you know soon...thanks, Doug!
Kyleok

Postby Kyleok » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Ok, Doug, I ran the cart today, and afterwards tested the batteries. My lowest battery registered 8.01 volts, and my highest tested 8.14 volts. I tested the batteries with a load tester, and all showed good. They are Workaholics with a date of February, 07. I did notice that the amount of fluid in the batteries wasn't the same as I ran out of distilled water before I finished, but fluid covered the plates in all of them. Could this imbalance in fluid levels cause the "abnormal cycle"? I'm baffled!
Kyleok

Postby dougmcp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:01 pm

At Feb 07 your batteries are only 3.5 years old and one should expect them to last 5-7 years.
I guess previous maintenance could always be in question.
If they load test fine then maybe they're just getting older and not holding as good a charge as when new.
The electrolyte levels are not super important as long as the plates are not exposed.
Your voltage is showing a 50%-60% charge which seems a little low after just 18 holes of golf.
Are you letting the charger run until it shuts off by itself?
Maybe you could check the charging rate when it gets close to the end of the charge cycle. It should be between 58v-62v+/-.
Here is a chart to help you determine your charge level in future:
Click on chart to enlarge.
dougmcp

Postby Kyleok » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Well, Doug, as I said, its always showing "abnormal cycle", so yes, it shuts itself off. And yes, the plates are covered. I'm not usually there after a couple of hours of charging so I'm not sure what the charge rate is then. I just know that it starts off at 53. something volts. I'll hang around and test the charger later, but again, I charged the exact same cart with my charger and it charged fine. The cart runs good, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned...its just one of those mysteries to me. The really baffling thing is that it charged fine until I added the water! I really appreciate your help and the tips!
Kyleok

Postby CARTFIXER1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 pm

take battery voltage readings while its on the charger near the end of the charge cycle, post those numbers.
Owner-CARTFIXER in the Villages Florida. Want your golf car fixed correctly- have a golf car mechanic work on it.
CARTFIXER1

Postby Kyleok » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:38 pm

If Doug or Cartfixer are still there, my cart ran fine until we had a cold snap of 5 or 6 days, then, dead as a doornail! I've retested the batteries and now five of them are at 8.00 volts or higher (the highest is at 8.09 volts), and one is at 7.80. I still have the abnormal cycle light glowing after each charge. Should I buy one new battery to replace the low one, or is it time to replace them all? However, if I could get a full charge without the abnormal cycle (by replacing the low battery), I'm wondering if the five stronger batteries might come back. What are your thoughts?
Kyleok

Postby CGtech » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 pm

If your charger is a MAC charger, one of the older models, look for a fuse window at the bottom of the front side of the charger with the leds on it. if the fuse shows signs of heat and discoloration, you might wanna replace that fuse with a upgrade kit from any yamaha dealer. ive seen those fuses messed up from heat causing that same problem.
Buy a Factory service manual for your cart, you will NEVER regret it!
CGtech

Postby dougmcp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Have you recharged the batteries?
Did you take the readings as Cartfixer1 suggested?
If you've done that already then I would say your batteries are probably done. The best battery has a 50% charge and the worst 30%. If they went through a cold snap (freezing) and were not charged they may have frozen and created even more problems.
Have them load tested after charging to confirm their state of health.
dougmcp

Postby Kyleok » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:39 pm

I think you are right, Doug...they are done probably. And CG Tech, not sure what a MAC charger is....my cart is a G22 and the fuse looks like a little light switch on the bottom right. They were charged as much as they could be before the cold snap, Doug. They showed much the same voltage before that they are showing now...just want to make sure that the batteries are the problem. The cart runs great if I run it everyday...just loses its charge if I leave it alone for a week or more. So...batteries? And if so, Exides...Workaholics....Trojans? Which is best?
Kyleok

Postby CGtech » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Sorry i forgot to mention, the newer charger dosent have any window to inspect, that rules that particular problem out. the charger you have has that upgrade in it from the factory. Do you have any other accessories on there, lights, electronic desulfater gizmo, stuff like that? Trojans are the best standard "wet" batteries, but come at a premium price. they are pretty consistent for quality. if you wanna golf several times a week, buy trojans. but if you buy the cheaper brands, you take that chance. You should have a golf cart shop discharge test those batts with a professional timer-based load tester. this will tell you the health of each of the batts. you may have only 1 bad battery. If you dont replace the whole set, replace any bad batterys with a similar used battery. putting a new battery in with a used set will drag that battery down to the level of the rest of the set, and waste your money. most shops don't offer warranty for individual batterys mixed with older batterys for that reason.
Buy a Factory service manual for your cart, you will NEVER regret it!
CGtech

Postby dougmcp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 am

Kyleok wrote:So...batteries? And if so, Exides...Workaholics....Trojans? Which is best?

Batteries, my guess would be Yes.
IMO Best, in order: US Battery Model 8VGCHC XC, Crown, Trojan
Acceptable: Exide, Sam's Club Energizer
I personally use the Sam's Club brand and have only had about 2 months. The last measurement I took I golfed just 9 holes and still have a 51.3v charge. These will go at least 36 holes without breaking a sweat and cost around $500 for the 6x8v set.
The key to battery performance and longevity is maintenance.
dougmcp

Next

Return to Yamaha Electric