Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

can ezgo gas cart be able to idle

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

can ezgo gas cart be able to idle

Postby jromanski » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:40 pm

hi i have a 1988 ezgo gas golf cart, my question is can i do something to it so it will idle without the saftey switch on the gas pedel. i want to be able to start it with a key switch and get it to idle and if so does anybody have a wireing diagram so i can rewire it. thanks
jromanski

Re: can ezgo gas cart be able to idle

Postby coolhuh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:34 pm

You can buy a wiring kit for it real cheap, look on BU web site, if not there go to CPP.
coolhuh

Postby Bob-0 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 pm

jromanski wrote:hi i have a 1988 ezgo gas golf cart, my question is can i do something to it so it will idle without the saftey switch on the gas pedel. i want to be able to start it with a key switch and get it to idle and if so does anybody have a wireing diagram so i can rewire it. thanks

With the stock 2PG engine you do not want it to idle. That is hard on the starter/generator, and unless you have the engine idling above 1200rpm you will burn up the brushes within 6 months to a year. Above 1200 and the primary clutch (drive clutch) engages. To get the car to idle, you really need to adjust the weights in the clutch to delay engagement. That will be hard on the belt, as the clutch will "snap" on to the belt when it gets.

The system was designed to not run at idle, but if you drive the car regularly then you will be ok. Just don't drive the car short distances all the time if you opt to have it idle.

I know having it idle is kinda cool, but if you can drop in an engine that is designed to idle you may like the results a lot better. If you drop a 4 cycle Honda 35hp engine into the car you might just sit there saying weeeeee :mrgreen: . You loose reverse, but who wants to go fast in reverse anyway?

There are good sides and bad sides to having your car idle. For the most part, it isn't necessary and it will accelerate wear on some items. Some of which are expensive... so, just be sure that the kit or whatever you buy accounts for the period where the starter/generator is acting as a starter.... you need it to be idling fast enough (1200rpm) to be in generator mode, and that will save your brushes.

Bob
Commercial Pilot ASEL & AMEL; CFI-IA, AMEI
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Postby bongrg » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Easy. Just by pass the solenoid. Rpm should be set at its slowest so the cart would not move.
bongrg

Postby Bob-0 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:54 pm

bongrg wrote:Easy. Just by pass the solenoid. Rpm should be set at its slowest so the cart would not move.

.... and that is where the damage occurs.

That is just sooooo hard on the starter/generator. Try having one idle for 2 minutes and see if you can leave your hand on the s/g for more than 30 seconds. Now imagine how brass brushes like that kind of heat. You replace them so fast that it costs you twice as much in the end.

Only way to get one to idle without causing any problems = increase idle speed to 1200 rpm and change weights in the clutch to delay engagement. Anything else is just a crapshoot with damage... you could burn the F1,F2 cables first... burn the brushes to the point they either melt.... or it could just require a new set of brushes every few months because they wear so quickly.

Bob
Commercial Pilot ASEL & AMEL; CFI-IA, AMEI
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Postby Path Maker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:43 am

Well said Bob-0!
Path Maker

Return to EZGO Gas