Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

How does reverse work in an EZGO cart?

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

How does reverse work in an EZGO cart?

Postby SKIDOO9199 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:16 pm

How does reverse work in an EZGO cart? I am putting a 20hp honda in one that is stripped. is there anywhere i can find a picture of an engine compartment to follow the drivetrain?
So far a tractor with a 20hp honda V-Twin 620c.c., and an old EZGO Gas Cart w/ no motor.
SKIDOO9199

Postby CC-John » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:53 pm

What year is the cart????

Reverse "gear" also depends on whether the cart had a 2-cycle or a 4-cycle engine originally.. The 4-cycle carts have reverse gear built into the rear axle.. Reverse on the 2-cycle carts is obtained by starting the engine in reverse (spin the engine backwards)..

Hope this helps..
CC-John

2004 E-Z-Go TXT Fact. Rebuilt (ST 2+2)
23HP Vanguard V-Twin w/ Cam & Rev Kit, 8:1 Hi-Speed Gears
Street Legal

1996 Club Car DS 48V (Ike Survivor) GE D395, 500A Alltrax, 8:1 gears, 4ga. welding cables
CC-John

Postby SKIDOO9199 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:59 pm

CC-John wrote:What year is the cart????

Reverse "gear" also depends on whether the cart had a 2-cycle or a 4-cycle engine originally.. The 4-cycle carts have reverse gear built into the rear axle.. Reverse on the 2-cycle carts is obtained by starting the engine in reverse (spin the engine backwards)..

Hope this helps..

Thanks for the reply. I dont have the cart yet but i know it is an ezgo gas. I am building a cart for the first time and didnt know how it worked. Is the gear actually in the differential? Or is there a transmission that I need to pick up somewhere.
So far a tractor with a 20hp honda V-Twin 620c.c., and an old EZGO Gas Cart w/ no motor.
SKIDOO9199

Postby Bob-0 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:21 pm

SKIDOO9199 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I dont have the cart yet but i know it is an ezgo gas. I am building a cart for the first time and didnt know how it worked. Is the gear actually in the differential? Or is there a transmission that I need to pick up somewhere.

How the car is reversed depends on the year of the car.

Early cars were reversed by changing the direction the engine turned, later models were reversed through gears in the differential.

If the car is of the earlier type, you will lose reverse, and have to push the car (or whatever you come up with). The newer rear ends can not be swapped.
Bob
Commercial Pilot ASEL & AMEL; CFI-IA, AMEI
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Return to EZGO Gas