Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

B&S tapered shaft

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

B&S tapered shaft

Postby busman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:17 pm

I have searched for hours and have found several posts relating to tapered shafts, but every post I found does not directly answer my question. Is the briggs tapered shaft the same as the Ezgo taper? Can you use the factory cluth? All the posts I found usually ened with a question mark. I know Ezgo uses the Briggs 16hp in the st480 but I cant seem to get the specs. Briggs cant look up any info without a model #. All Ezgo will tell me is that it is a 110 degree taper and will not release any more info.

Thanks, Mike
busman

Postby ruredy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:37 am

I had the specs for the bigger briggs taper shaft but have not been able to locate that info, however I did just get a st480 and this is one of the questions I will find the anwser to. I belive that its a standerd size used in many different apps and the taper on those shafts are the same as ezgo 4 stroke robin engines, I know ezgo and polaris have the same taper. I will try to get the st480's briggs engine model number today, its just that every time I get near the 480 I come up with some reason to start riding it around :D
Jon
ruredy

Postby ruredy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:19 pm

busman, here is what it says on my ST480 16hp Vanguard engine.

Family: YBSXS 4802HH ............... 274820

I hope this helps some and if you find out any info would you please let us know. I belive Comet may be able to shed some light on the tapered shaft question also. I'll try to check on this more as time permits and I will be pulling the clutch off sometime real soon to do some upgrades on the engine, I have to decide what i'm doing and get the parts but i'm going to install a rev kit and maybe even a cam if I can dig up enough money.
Jon
ruredy

Postby ruredy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:27 pm

busman wrote:Briggs did not like any of the numbers you gave me. He said we need the numbers on the right hand side of the tin flywheel cover. Should be on a ID plate or stamped in the cover. Thanks for the help.

Here is a pic of the id on the flywheel cover. I'll look to see if I can find any other numbers on the cover and update
Jon
ruredy

Postby busman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:33 pm

That looks like the emission sticker. Looking at the engine from the flywheel side, the engine ID plate should be on lower rh side of the fan cover. Thanks for all the trouble.
busman

Postby ruredy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:26 pm

Ok I was upside down looking at a reflection in a mirror trying to wright these down, really hard to get at, was able to get halfass pic when switched to negitive, anyway, these number should do the trick
CODE
TYPE
1410-E2
xxxx-B2 ? really hard to tell
xxxx-62 ?
MODEL

You can copy and then zoom in on the numbers for a better look

Jon
ruredy

Postby Bob-0 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Jon, your quite the contortionist :lol:

Bob
Commercial Pilot ASEL & AMEL; CFI-IA, AMEI
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Postby ruredy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Bob-0 wrote:Jon, your quite the contortionist :lol:

Bob

Why thanks Bob, I'll bend over backwards to help out my fellow carters :P
Jon
ruredy

Postby busman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:04 am

From what I can find out from Briggs is that this engine is different than the 2 generator tapers they offer. It is an engine that is currently not in stock. In conclusion the EZGO clutch will not fit the generator tapered shafts, but will possibly fit the engine that is in the ST480. Briggs would not give me the taper angles for this engine. Just the lengths so I cant be sure. Many thanks to RUREDY for all his help.
busman

Postby Bob-0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:27 pm

Are you calling a Briggs dealer for this? If so, they may be "out of the loop" so-to-speak, when it comes to Briggs' relation with E-Z-GO.

On a completely different side note: If you are dealing with the Briggs factory, it would stand to reason that they do not have that engine in stock or production anymore. E-Z-GO is going to stop production of the ST-480 very soon.

Bob
There is no level of skill so high that it cannot be overcome by sufficiently poor judgment
Bob-0

Postby busman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:17 pm

Bob-o, I was talking to the Briggs factory. I was trying to decide between the 18 hp or the 16 hp and was hoping I could find the 16 hp and not have to replace my clutch. I have since decided to just settle on the 18 hp and buy the clutch, I guess. I can find a 18hp $200.00 cheaper than the 16. This is the engine I was looking at. Product #356447-0197 with 16 amp alt,electric start with key switch, low oil shutdown, vertical angled oil filter bracket, 1" X 2 29/32 shaft. I am planning on using comet 94 duster clutch. Does all this look ok so far? If not what do I need to change.

Thanks, Mike
busman

Postby Bob-0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:40 pm

I don't know how much you need to stick to a budget (obviously I don't need to anyway), but you could get the 480cc engine from E-Z-GO. I'm going to the shop tommorrow, and if you want I can look up the full retail price. The price would vary depending on who/what/where, if you understand what I mean.

I don't know if that is an option you have considered or not. I thought that if you hadn't, it may be another avenue to go.

Bob

EDIT: I just happened to remember, E-Z-GO lists a different drive clutch for the 480 in the parts book. So the stock TXT clutch wouldn't work either way.
Bob-0

Postby busman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:04 pm

It will probably be scary through EZGO. Its high enough through a briggs dealer.

EDIT: I just happened to remember, E-Z-GO lists a different drive clutch for the 480 in the parts book. So the stock TXT clutch wouldn't work either way.

This is the part no one can seem to answer. Briggs told me it was a special application crank for EZGO. But he could not give me the taper angles. EZGO would not tell me anything but that it is a 110 degree taper.
busman

Postby busman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Thanks for the help.
busman

Postby Bob-0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:19 pm

busman wrote:This is the part no one can seem to answer. Briggs told me it was a special application crank for EZGO. But he could not give me the taper angles. EZGO would not tell me anything but that it is a 110 degree taper.

I don't believe you will actually get that information from either source, even if you find the right person. The exact information you are looking for is proprietary.

Have a good one,
Bob
Bob-0

Next

Return to EZGO Gas