Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

1998 ez go brakes

1998 ez go brakes

Postby iceman » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:42 pm

I know nothing about car or cart repair, but as I use one everyday, and am in maintenance, it is about time I learned. My 1998 ez go electric cart needs brake help. the brake cable is frayed near a turnbuckle under the cart in the drivers seat area. it is tightened all the way and the cart still bearly stops.Besides replacing the cable, what do I need to do, and how do I do it. AS the company I work for has cut all funding for golf cart service, I will be doing this out of pocket, so the cheapest solution will be most welcome. Thanks 8)
iceman

Repairing carts

Postby Andy4639 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:17 pm

Welcome to the board and hope you find help with all your :?: Let me start off by saying cart repair work is like a car. It will cost you to do it right. If you plan on doing this all the time I would invest in a manual for it, $40.00. It will have pictures and explanations of the procedures.
Now for some answers:
1. Take the pin out of the keeper behind the drivers brake shoe. It's what the cable attaches to the back side of the hub.
2. Take a small screw driver and a medium one and back off the star wheel inside the hub, just like on a car. You have to look through the window of the hub to find it.
3. Take the hub off and check shoes. Clean everything out good and grease the spots that have wear showing.Change shoes if neccassary.
4. Place hub back on and adjust star wheel so that the hub just starts to scrub.
5. Look under the drivers side where the 2 cables come together and unscrew them to where you have plenty of play in the cables.
6. Hook the pin back that you took loose in step1. and then take the slack out of the cables with the adjuster you loosened in step 5.
7. I tighten it up to where it just will hold the cart still when the hill brake is set.

04 AC conversion PDS 32 MPH
02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
80 model Ezgo wrecker 48 volts
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby Cartfixer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:37 pm

I'll add to andy's answer:

lube the self adjuster star wheel and the slider that the brakes sit into. It is a must for the brakes to be able to move back and forth, as well as up and down. This movement will allow them to stay centered in the drum.

Make sure you replace BOTH brake cables.
Cartfixer

Return to EZGO Electric