Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

'95 EZ-GO Medalist real slow uphill

'95 EZ-GO Medalist real slow uphill

Postby PBT40 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 am

I'm sure the answers to my questions are on here somewhere but my eyes get crossed looking through thousands of posts so I will ask again. I just bought a used '95 EZ-GO medalist from a buddy who used it to go camping. I plan to use it for golf,(am new to owning cart have always rented) but I live in the mountains and my course is hilly. Driving around neighborhood after removing lift kit, big tires, and re-painting cart seems to be real slow uphill; but it will climb the hill. Batteries are few years old but show 37.9 volts when fully charged. Do I probably need batteries or is this normal? If I do need batteries what is involved in swapping to 48 volts? If swap is doable is 4-12's better than 6-8's? Thanks in advance to all who respond.
PBT40

Re: '95 EZ-GO Medalist real slow uphill

Postby Cartfixer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 am

You say you took off, big wheels and tire. A higher amp contoller / motor may have been installed to get torque back, which would reduce top speed. but give plenty of torque to climb hills.
Cartfixer

Postby dougmcp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:45 pm

How old are the batteries in the cart now? There should be a date code (letter and number) on them somewhere, usually stamped into the post area. Example, mine are stamped C-4 which indicates Mar, 2004.
37.9v is not ideal and shows about 90% charge and could be signs that 1 or more batteries are failing.
A mountain course is demanding on batteries so an upgrade to 4ga battery cables would help if it hasn't been done already.
If you change the cart from 36v to 48v you need to make sure the controller will handle the voltage. Get the specs off the controller and post the info for more help on this. You would also need a new 48v solenoid, diode and resistor, less than $100.
Lead in batteries = run time, so 6x8v is much preferable to 4x12v.
With a change to 48v you can expect an increase in torque and speed of about 30%.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby PBT40 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:54 pm

I don't see a code on the batteries but the sticker from factory has '01 marked out as if they were bought in '01. So they probably too old i guess. Am new to working on cart what exactly is controller? And will same motor work with 48v?
PBT40

Postby dougmcp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:40 pm

The controller is the box that controls the power from the batteries to the motor. It is located under the seat on the passenger side under a black cover. Cables from the battery and solenoid run to it and also to the motor. There should be 4 large connections and probably 3 small connections attached to it. The model and voltage is probably on the bottom, so it would have to be removed to see what it is.
Batteries last usually between 5to 7 years, if in fact the date of the batteries is 01, it is time to consider replacements.
After a complete charge and rest for at least an hour, take a voltage reading of the complete pack and also each individual battery then post those numbers.
Your batteries in a fully charged state should be 38.2v and each battery should be about 6.4v.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby PBT40 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:55 pm

The 37.9v was freshly charged; so that's not good. Will post info on controller but will probably be tom. evening. The 4ga. cable are only for connections from battery to battery not all the way out to motor correct? I know I ask a lot of questions but that is best way to learn. Thank you for your info so far.
PBT40

Postby dougmcp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

4ga goes every place the power flows, batteries to F-N-R switch to solenoid to controller to motor.
IMO you should change the cables when you change the batteries.
dougmcp

Postby PBT40 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Took the controller out and could not find a number. Only number I could find was P204370 on a little sticker. It does however look like the original EZ-GO equipment as EZ-Go is stamped into the top of it. Also, will "1/0 600v welding cable" work for 4ga. I can get an abundance of this where I work?
PBT40

Postby dougmcp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 pm

You can use 1/0 gauge cabling if you can get it into all the places it needs to go, actually, the bigger the better.
If your controller looks like this with the 5 pin connector, it is a36v, 275amp OEM Curtis series controller.

dougmcp

Postby PBT40 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:58 pm

It has four connections on top but five pins is correct. Guess that means no 48 volt without a new one.
PBT40

Postby dougmcp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 am

You are correct, you will need a new controller to go to 48v. If you do, the Alltrax 400 amp NPX 4844 or the Curtis 1204/1205 would be good ones.
dougmcp

Postby PBT40 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Seeing as how I will have to buy batteries, controller, solenoid, etc. and a charger. I could have bought a whole new cart almost. I will probably stay with 36v and rewire it with bigger welding cable and call it good. It's only for playing golf anyway. When I rewire here in a couple days is there anything I need to do along with the rewire? Also, do I need to change the smaller gauge wires that connect to the solenoid on the controller or just the pencil sized wires that run to everything else?
PBT40

Postby camo95 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

This is a good question I also just bought a 95 ezgo and after about 1 hour of full charge it goes really slow up hill.Did you sell the lift kit and big tires? If not are you interested in selling?
camo95

Return to EZGO Electric