Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

EZ-GO wont move

EZ-GO wont move

Postby Prov1cj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:22 pm

I have recently bought a 1994 ( is what i believe, as i am new to carts ) golf cart. Got cart home and it will not run.. it is a 36V , with 6 batteries all together...when you turn the key on and press the pedal you can hear the solenoid switch click but there is no power to the motor.. the guy i bought it from for $400.00 said that it was the speed controller...any advise as what may be wrong would be very helpful...thanks again
Prov1cj

Re: EZ-GO wont move

Postby dougmcp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Not saying it's not the controller but let's start with the basics.
You say it's a 94 cart, if so it is probably a Medalist with a metal body and series motor.
Does it say freedom on the side of the cart, if so, it has the high speed motor.
What is the total battery pack voltage?
Charge the batteries, let the charger shut off by itself, it may take up to 16 hours.
Let it rest for at least an hour and measure the pack voltage. It needs to be 38.2v to be 100%.
Next, do you have a reverse beeper with the key on in reverse?
Next, jack the back of the cart up and using a large piece of wire short out the 2 large terminals on the solenoid, do the wheels turn?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby Prov1cj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 pm

ok, the cart does have a metal body and a series motor....the cart does not say freedom on the side of the cart but it looks to have been painted possibly...i will charge the batteries and get back to you on that...yes the reverse beeper works when the cart is put into reverse.
Prov1cj

Postby Prov1cj » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:21 am

ok after jumping the solenoid the wheels are not turning. i have the cart charging and will get back to you on the total voltage.
Prov1cj

Postby cliplee » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Same problem,98 ez go New batteries I have 38 volts on batteries. Tried jumping two posts on solenoid and no action.Reverse buzzer does sound.Nothing else.Checked voltage on small posts to large posts on opposite side and read 30.Where do I go from there?
cliplee

Postby Prov1cj » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:46 am

Ok....after completely charging the batteries, i have 38.27 volts, also show that i am getting jucie to the solenoid but still no action....what do i need to check now ????
Prov1cj

Postby dougmcp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 am

When you apply the throttle and the solenoid clicks are you getting voltage (38v) on both large posts on the solenoid?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby dougmcp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 am

cliplee wrote:Same problem,98 ez go New batteries I have 38 volts on batteries. Tried jumping two posts on solenoid and no action.Reverse buzzer does sound.Nothing else.Checked voltage on small posts to large posts on opposite side and read 30.Where do I go from there?

So people don't get confused, try not to hijack a thread and start a new post of your own.
dougmcp

Postby Prov1cj » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 am

yes when the throttle is applied i still have 38 volts to the solenoid.
Prov1cj

Postby dougmcp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Prov1cj wrote:yes when the throttle is applied i still have 38 volts to the solenoid.

Good. I hope you mean both sides.
With the ignition on and throttle depressed, do you still have the 38v on the controller B+ and B- ?
After you confirm all the above, the controller may be at fault.
Here is a manual on your controller which should give you more guidance as to the voltages you should have on each contact. http://curtisinstruments.com/index.cfm? ... B%29%2Epdf
dougmcp

Return to EZGO Electric