Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

RXV unexpected shutdowns

RXV unexpected shutdowns

Postby Gornoman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:34 pm

Bill S wrote:I have a 2008 RXV with a 48volt, AC motor design that is new this year. The cart runs great and has super speed control, regen circuitry, no speed dropoff on hills, etc. but has slammed to a stop when cruising at 21mph 3 times now. The dealer picks it up and the first time said the code stored was a resistor, that they replaced. The second time it was a circuit board. The third time they replaced the whole controller assembly. I said if it does this again it will be their cart, not mine. I love the cart but the factory is not saying if this is widespread or not. They told the dealer if it happens again they will authorize the motor changeout. The brake system is on the motor, not the wheels, but they think the unexpected stopping and shutting down is the controller telling the motor or brake on the motor to do that. It won't run when it shuts down for awhile, but will reset and go again. I am posting this info just in case someone else expereiences the same thing. The warranty is 4 years, bumper to bumper and I am only 1 month into it, but this happensevery day. The dealer has had the cart more than I have. :(

Bill S, Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry to hear you are having problems. We haven't had any posts like yours yet so it starts right here.
Last edited by Gornoman on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gorno

'97 TXT Series 48v Conversion
2009 Buggy Bonanza Best in Show, 2nd Place Hill Climb, Figure 8, and Dragstrip
http://www.IGKRA.com
Gornoman

Problems

Postby Andy4639 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Man I hate stuff that is new and doesn't work correctly. I like the new looks of it and the speed and torque seem to be there with the AC drive unit. I have wanted to do one for awhile now with the AC converstion. Have you got any numbers for us as far as performance. 21 MPH is that top speed :?: How long will the charge last :?:
I rode my 04 PDS cart the other week at the beach over 22 miles on one charge.

:shock: 8)

04 AC conversion PDS 32 MPH
02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
80 model Ezgo wrecker 48 volts
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby caddiemaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi, a golf cart is limited to under 20 mph because of federal regulations, above that it has to meet low speed vehicle requirments.

Is their a chance that it has something to do with the cart hitting 21 MPH

John
caddiemaster

21 MPH

Postby Andy4639 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 pm

caddiemaster,
I had thought the same thing, just didn't say it. I would say it could be part of it. You would think once it came back under the 20MPH mark it would take off again though.
:shock: :wink:

02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby tjdadj » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Does the RVX have a "real" speedometer, or is this an accessory?

I recall that the AC motor controller is actually only limiting the motor's RPM, and it is set considerably slower than what it is capable of, so that it does NOT exceed 19MPH, but I maybe wrong.

If this is an accessory speedometer, it's possible that it not that accurate, and could easily be 10% off. Also, if the cart has bigger wheels on it, that could account for the additional speed.

Anyway, just some out loud thoughts..
tj
-------------------------------
'95 DCS Medalist [4" lift, 20" tires, Alltrax DCX 400, 48v conversion, and solar charged]

'91 Geo Metro Convertible Electric conversion [Work in Progress]
tjdadj

EZGo RXV unexpected shutdowns

Postby Bill S » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:49 pm

The responses are interesting on the RXV problem. My experience is with the new controller installed there have been no shutdowns yet. It has gone longer than ever before so I hope thatproblem is history. As far as the speed goes, the dealer won't program the cart to go over 19 mph but with 10 inch wheels and oversize tires the cart goes 21.4 mph. They let me use their garmin gps to check the speed and it is consistently 21.4. I know it will go faster as there is plenty of power to maintain that speed on any hill I have gone up. The factory advertises climbing speeds are the best out there and I believe it. As far as range is concerned I haven't gone over about 15 miles in a day yet. The dealer says they are getting reports of people getting 60 and even 70 miles to a charge. I don't expect to see max range until I have cycled the batteries about 100 times. This comes from websites by Trojan batteries,and Delta Q chargers. They are really informative on maintenance of batteries etc.
Bill S
2008 EZ Go RXV Electric
Bill S

Postby caddiemaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:18 pm

That cart is years ahead of anything else.

As for programming, the hand held scanner/programmer can only allow cart to go 19 mph.

That motor and controller combination can hit 35 mph, and that is from an E-Z-GO big wig, they have had it at 50 miles on one charge and it did not go into limp mode, so it was still above 25% of battery capacity.

Since it is a new vehicle they will have a few minor bugs, but Textron/E-Z-GO is a great company and do all they can and will definately stand by their product.

Glad you got that problem fixed, or at least you think it is fixed.
caddiemaster

RXV unexpected shutdowns

Postby Bill S » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:17 am

Update on the shutdowns. I ran a whole week, averaging probably 15 miles a day with no problems at all until Saturday. I was heading home after about 12 miles of errands, driving mostly wot, when it shutdown again. The battery charge meter goes from full to about 2/3 instantly and the cart won't run at alll. Shut off awhile then retry, no go. My dealer says he will get to the bottom of this with the factory help, but of 12 carts he has sold here in the villages I am the only one with the problem. Only the motor is left to change out. It stores codes so he believes me it is happening. Where I live the carts are used to go everywhere, mostly 3 to 5 miles between stops, but high speed is normal. 20mph is the minimum if you don't want to get run over by other carts. I've been passed a few times when I'm going 21mph. The dealer doesn't think this type of driving vs golfing is a factor. Will post what happens next. :x
2008 EZ Go RXV Electric
Bill S

New Cart

Postby Andy4639 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 am

Talking with the local Ezgo dealer here in Myrtle Beach they have one and it's not running. They have it sitting in the showroom but it's not working. I asked about it and he said they are having problems with it shutting down after a few minutes of running it.
This cart has been lifted and has 23" tires instald. Thats all I know on it. They said their waiting on Ezgo to look at it.

02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby Blue Chip » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:09 pm

A local shop here in Apopka / Mount Dora had a blue one in - sweet looking ride on a nice set of wheels. Anyway - he had it apart - stating the exact same problem - even replaced the resistor according to the code... when I went in to get the replacement hub for my cart it looked like he was changing out the controller....

This was a week ago - he seemed to think that may do the trick... same cart? Pleasure Carts? If so - he's a very nice guy and does good work...
02 EZGO PDS
6" Jakes Lift
Alltrax 500 amp
48 Volt conversion
D&D Motor
23" tires on 12" ITP's
Blue Chip

RXV unexpected shutdowns

Postby Bill S » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:14 pm

Since last week I got my cart back with a new motor, brake assy, and it finally runs great and I expect reliably too. Since the first shutdown they replaced a resistor, per computer code, then a circuit board, then the controller, andfinally the motor with brake assy. There's nothing left to fail! The dealer, Pleasure Cars of central Florida was experated too but they hung in there and the factory advised or rather gave them the OK to do the work. The cart does 22mph now and it is so quiet I thought it was going slower than before so I checked it with a gps and was surprised it was going that fast. If anyone is in the market for a new cart this is the baby! :D
2008 EZ Go RXV Electric
Bill S

2008 ST Sport 2+2 - just stops....

Postby kbparham » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:35 am

It was interesting to read your post. We've had our cart since May, and the entire time we've had it we've had trouble with it just stopping. We can turn it off for 10-20 seconds and then back on and it'll go again -- sometimes it will make it for only a little bit before stopping and sometimes goes for the rest of the day. Yesterday it stopped about 10 times in a 10 minute session. We are incredibly frustrated as our dealer thinks we are making this up. We took the cart in and they had it for over a week and said they never had a problem with it. They replaced our charger and said our must have been defective or there were loose wires. Our battery indicator on the cart was showing full or just the blip below that...so we are doubting it was the charger. The cart is more for farm use than golf course. Our terrain is only slightly hilly here in western TN. We were thinking that maybe our road was too bumpy, or the terrain wasn't flat enough and considering ordering a PDS upgrade chip. Now that I've read your post I'm wondering if the problem isn't something else. We've noticed a trend in that we can ride for 5-7 minutes with no problems, it's when we try to make a round trip to the back of the property (about 3/4 mile) and back that it stops on us. It isn't always stopping at the same place, sometimes on flat land, sometimes on a hill. If we drive to the back and turn the cart off for a few minutes before we make the return trip it won't fail. It seems to be related to the amount of time we spend continuously moving. It baffles me that such a short period of time -- turning it off for 10-20 seconds -- makes a difference and allows it to go again. Even if it stopped at the base of a hill, it will pull us up the hill from a dead stop if we just turn it off for a few seconds after it stops.

Thanks for posting about your problem. I'll be interested to follow this thread and see if other new carts are having this issue and learn what we can do to resolve it.

Ken & Kathy P in Tennessee
kbparham

Re: 2008 ST Sport 2+2 - just stops....

Postby ezgomike » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:33 am

kbparham wrote:It was interesting to read your post. We've had our cart since May, and the entire time we've had it we've had trouble with it just stopping. We can turn it off for 10-20 seconds and then back on and it'll go again -- sometimes it will make it for only a little bit before stopping and sometimes goes for the rest of the day. Yesterday it stopped about 10 times in a 10 minute session. We are incredibly frustrated as our dealer thinks we are making this up. We took the cart in and they had it for over a week and said they never had a problem with it. They replaced our charger and said our must have been defective or there were loose wires. Our battery indicator on the cart was showing full or just the blip below that...so we are doubting it was the charger. The cart is more for farm use than golf course. Our terrain is only slightly hilly here in western TN. We were thinking that maybe our road was too bumpy, or the terrain wasn't flat enough and considering ordering a PDS upgrade chip. Now that I've read your post I'm wondering if the problem isn't something else. We've noticed a trend in that we can ride for 5-7 minutes with no problems, it's when we try to make a round trip to the back of the property (about 3/4 mile) and back that it stops on us. It isn't always stopping at the same place, sometimes on flat land, sometimes on a hill. If we drive to the back and turn the cart off for a few minutes before we make the return trip it won't fail. It seems to be related to the amount of time we spend continuously moving. It baffles me that such a short period of time -- turning it off for 10-20 seconds -- makes a difference and allows it to go again. Even if it stopped at the base of a hill, it will pull us up the hill from a dead stop if we just turn it off for a few seconds after it stops.

Thanks for posting about your problem. I'll be interested to follow this thread and see if other new carts are having this issue and learn what we can do to resolve it.

Ken & Kathy P in Tennessee

If you have a PDS system in your cart, it is a completely different situation. What year, and model is your cart?
Feel free to contact me for more info....
ezgomike

Ahhhh... Our is a PDS

Postby kbparham » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the reply & clarification that the type of system would make a difference. Yes, it is a PDS system. Ours is a 2008 ST Sport 2+2 36V. We're still newbies at this electric cart stuff -- just reading , learning and trying to figure out what we can and should do about this as our dealer is little help and the next closest dealer is a couple of hours away. I am mechanically inclined, we do all of our own vehicle maintenance, tractors, trackhoe, etc.... but most of my experience is with combustion engines, transmissions, etc..... I'm not so familiar with the electric type systems but expect that soon I should begin to sort it all out.

I read quite a bit on the forum last night and realized that ours is a shunt system rather than a series wound and am beginning to wonder if we picked the wrong type cart. I fell pretty ignorant right now for failing to be an informed consumer and study more on the systems behind the various products before making our purchase. I mistakenly thought that electric would be pretty straightforward and relatively the same across the marketplace -- thus I thought it most important to get a quality product with a name I could trust. We knew nothing of the shunt vs series types at the time, and we were told to stay away from carts like "The Bad Boy Buggy" because they lost a charge so quickly. Now I'm thinking that the reason for that might have been that they use to extra energy to generate more torque, and that I might rather have had a cart that needed charging more often than one that quits after I've driven it for 7-10 minutes. Our battery indicator generally shows full or one click down from that -- but our cart stops anyway.

Any enlightenment you guys could provide would be sincerely appreciated. Ken is beyond frustrated with the cart, and since he's not the mechanic in the family...it's fallen to me to figure out what we need to do to resolve the situation.

Thanks so much for thed time you spend educting folks like myself on this forum!!!

Kathy P in Tennessee
kbparham

unexpected shutdowns

Postby Bill S » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi, folks,
read your post on the shutdown problem and it isn't like my RXV situation as it is too often. I have a computer in my cart that logs the cause of failure, or it should, like cars these days, and so the dealer was OK with the shutdowns, since codes were stored. It took a new motor finally, before the shutdowns stopped happening. Does your cart log codes, and if so the code reader should help the dealer take the right course of action.
And what about warranty? If you have the same failure a number of times, I would talk to them about lemon law failures and get the cart replaced. The RXV I have is a very different mechanical system from your cart, but EZGo is a very respectable mfgr and will stand behind their product. You just need to get to the right people. Good Luck! BillS
2008 EZ Go RXV Electric
Bill S

Next

Return to EZGO Electric