Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Charger turning off after 5 min

Charger turning off after 5 min

Postby roper » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:14 pm

I cleaned and painted the battery area. Hooked up the batteries, plugged in the charger ( EZ-GO 36V Total Charge 20484). The ammeter on the charger doesnt seem to work, have to bang on it to get it to move, but thats not all - the charger shuts off after 5 minutes. What could be causing this? Not really worried about the ammeter, I can replace that, just don't know what to do about the shutting off. This is the first time I've tried to use this charger, it came with the cart, and it appears to have gotten wet at one time. Its old, 1987 model. I haven't opened it up yet. Any ideas on what I can look for or check? Help please. Thx
I don't even own ONE golf club!
88 36V EZ-GO 6"lift, 22's, custom bed
roper

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:05 pm

Banging on the charger to get the ammeter to work tells me there may be a loose connection inside the charger. If a loose connection arcs the electronic control board is sometimes fooled into thinking the batteries are charged.
Good Judgment comes from Experience and Experience from Bad Judgment.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Postby Cartfixer » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:41 pm

The ammeter has to work or the charger won't. Nates right, loose connection at the meter. Got wet huh? Not good, take the cover off and check everything out, you maybe ok, chargers can take alot of abuse.

Get all the connections tight and then see if it works, if not get back to us.
Last question would be what color is the charger and what brand?
Cartfixer

Postby roper » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:23 pm

Okay, I pulled the cover and everything looked ok except the ammeter. It had gotten wet and rusted inside. Particles of rust had gotten magnetized and were interfering with the guage needle. I took it apart and cleaned it, and put it back together, but not sure if its working properly still. I hooked it up to my batteries and it read 25 amps the whole time, never went down as the batteries charged up. Also, the charger shut off after a few hours, but the timer still had time on it. I took a voltage reading of the batteries, 40 volts. Did the charger shut off before the timer ran out because the batteries were fully charged? I want to replace the ammeter, do I have to buy a Textron, or will other 25 amp ammeters work? The charger is green, model number is on my original post. Thanks for any help or info Cartfixer, I appreciate it.
roper

posted 4-27, waiting for help from Cartfixer

Postby roper » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:37 am

Fixer, I still think I need an ammeter for my charger, do I have to buy a Textron brand ammeter? I would like to just get one locally, want to be able to charge my batteries before the weekend! The one in my Total Charge has a guage that reads 0 - 25 amps. My charger is a 1987 Textron EZ-GO Total Charge 36V model #20484, (green colored) Thanx
roper

Postby Cartfixer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:54 pm

Just buy the meter for that charger if you can. But you are right they will all fit. The charger is automatic and the hour knob, tells you how long the batteries took to charge. That charger was geared towards the golf course mechanic, who could walk down the line in the morning and know if all the carts were charged of if a problem was coming.
Cartfixer

Postby roper » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:51 pm

Thanks 'Fixer, I bought a 25 amp meter at an electrical store for 13.00. It is just like the one I am replacing. I am going to install it in the charger and see what happens. The batteries are three years old, but I checked them with a hydrometer and they still look pretty good. Since this is my first electric cart, I have three questions.
(1). I hook up the charger and turn the timer on all the way. Then I look at the ammeter, should read 25 amps if the batteries are low, and as they get more charged, does the ammeter reading drop until they are charged and the timer automatically goes off at that time?
(2). If I take a voltage reading while the charger is on, I check at the pos. post on the battery that has the cable directly from the charger plug, and hook up the negative wire from the voltmeter to the negative post on the last battery in my series bank - right?
(3). What should the voltage read for these older batteries while charging? Thanks
roper

Postby Cartfixer » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:05 am

On that charger turn it to start and it will automaticly shut off. The meter will drop to a lower amp , BUT that does not mean the batteries are charged. Just let the charger shut off by it's self.

Checking the voltage on the complete set, you are correct, thats the way to do it.

Minimum voltage on charge 42 volts, max 48 volts
Cartfixer

need wiring info

Postby roper » Tue May 04, 2004 5:37 pm

Well I finally got around to hooking up the new ammeter, the tape that I had marked my wires with came off :(
(never use cheap masking tape for identifying wires!)
I have four wires that I need to connect to the two posts on the ammeter. Two are identical looking large wires that come from the transformer. One is a smaller wire that comes from the plug to the cart. One is a smaller wire that comes from the circuit board. Could anybody with a similiar charger EZ-GO Total Charge 36V model 20484 take a peak at theirs and tell me what they see? Thanks in advance for any help!
roper

Return to EZGO Electric