Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Proper Brake Pad Wear?

Proper Brake Pad Wear?

Postby enic21 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:38 pm

Are the Brake pads supposed to wear evenly across the entire pad? My pads seem really worn right on the edges only then, the middle doesn't even look touched. Is this what warped drums do? or is it normal?
enic21

Pad wear

Postby Andy4639 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:26 pm

While you have the hub off have someone mash the brake pedal and watch the way the pads do. They only push out on one end, so I would think it's normal wear but I maybe wrong. Once the ends wear down some thin the middle should start wearing out since the ends will be less. :wink:
:shock: :? 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

04 AC conversion PDS 32 MPH
02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
80 model Ezgo wrecker 48 volts
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby Gornoman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:51 pm

Andy's description is correct.

Enic21 can you define "pads seem really worn right on the edges only"?
Do you mean the lead/trail edge of the pad, or do you mean the parrallel outside edges of the pad?

gorno
gorno

'97 TXT Series 48v Conversion
2009 Buggy Bonanza Best in Show, 2nd Place Hill Climb, Figure 8, and Dragstrip
http://www.IGKRA.com
Gornoman

Postby SnuggleBear » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:12 pm

Enic,
When I replaced the shoes on one of my carts, the bottom of the shoes were worn almost to the metal. The middle of the shoe was worn a little, but the top wasn't worn at all. Since they pivot at the top, it seems to reason that the bottom of the shoe will be worn more.......

Bert..................:mrgreen:
KB4ERT-Bert in Summerville, SC

Sargent-At-Arms, EZGO Drivers ClubImage
"A man speaks if he has something to say, a fool speaks, if he just has to say something."
SnuggleBear

Postby enic21 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:07 pm

its the lead/trail edges. I think it was about even wear on the top and bottom edges of both the front and back pad (same hub). I'll take some pics next time I'm in there. but it sounds like everyone elses pads wear unevenly too...
enic21

Brake pads (shoes)

Postby carbeque » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:59 pm

Gentlemen,
Brake shoes wear unevenly because the shoe table, (the metal part) drags on the backing plate.
To prevent this wear, clean the backing plate shoe slides. Sometimes you have to use a low speed grinder to even out the surface and fill the void with a welder, or replace the backing plate. Any grooves or divots in the backing plate will cause the brake shoe to stick in the rough spot. Use a good quality lithium based, waterproof lubricant on the the slide. When the shoes are assembled on the backing plate they should slide forward and backward with minor hand pressure. Don't forget that worn hardware will cause the shoes to drag on the drum too, and that can cause excessive wear / uneven wear. If in doubt...replace the spring kits.
Most machine shops can turn the drums to be sure they are not out of round, always a good idea! :) :)
carbeque

Turning Drums

Postby Andy4639 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 am

I would be very,very careful having a golfcart drum turned. Yes any drag will cause uneven wear, but I for one will not have a cart drum turned for any reason. :wink:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The price for a new drum is cheaper than having it turned inless you know someone that will do it free.

04 AC conversion PDS 32 MPH
02 Ezgo 48 volt 28 MPH
72 volt Dragster
72 volt off road cart
80 model Ezgo wrecker 48 volts
90 DS Club Car 48 volt

Andy4639

Postby Cartfixer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:55 pm

I'll say it again here....don't EVER turn a golf cart drum, it makes them to thin and causes the self adjusting screw to have to come out to far to get an adjustment.

If the brake wear at the bottom of the front leading pad too much it is due most of the time to poor maintenance, or poor adjustment, or both.

A set of brake shoes properly adjusted and maintained should last between 3-10 years depending on use, and terrain.
Cartfixer

Postby enic21 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:28 pm

but how does it wear over the coarse of its life CartFixer? even, bottom up, top & bottom to middle?

it sounds like mine are wearing correctly but then I get doubts again. What harm would it cause if it were wearing uneven? other than new pads more often. how would you fix it? new hubs?
enic21

Postby Cartfixer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:04 pm

I'll give some indepth response on this.

The best brake system was the J10s, these were manual adjusted and you could bet perfect wear from them, when they were worn out, they were worn out.

J17's were good if you kept up on the adjustment, you could get good wear on both shoes. Problem was, they said in the manual that the brakes were self adjusting, so nobody did anything and the front bottom of the shoe would wear out and the rear shoe was like brand new.

Bendix brakes are good, but agian need alot of attention to keep them wearing correct and get long life out of them. They will wear both shoes evenly but leave the top 1/4 inch of the shoe almost untouched.
Cartfixer

Return to EZGO Electric