Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Controllers

Postby rongunnoe » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:29 pm

OK, so what would you suggest for me to reach 33-35mph with my 2003 Western Golf Cart(EZ Go) 48 volt, 8- 6 volt batteries with regenerative sys? I now have 25 mph. I would prefer to not raise it or use bigger tires. Is there a "bolt on system" that I can use? Should I change controllers or go to a series system? Thax for your advice.
rongunnoe

Postby FNA » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks Terry & Roger!! What educational info!!!! (for me anyway!)

Since you state that all controllers are thermally protected from over heating, what causes them to pop? What component(s) actually blow? Few year back I worked for a local GC shop and controllers seem to be a pretty common item to go.

Thank a million!
Tom
FNA

Postby jeepnjo6 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:33 am

Sounds like an opinion really. I'm a mechanic in Pinehurst NC and I work on Shunt motor carts daily. I now have PDS carts going 35 mph with no downhill braking. Stock motor with controller change and gear change. I know that series motors have a wider range of applications but with around $800 you can get shunt carts moving. If your planning on hugh upgrades it is probably in your best interest to go with a series motor cart because of the cost.
jeepnjo6

Postby FiveFlat » Wed May 10, 2006 3:46 pm

How do I know if I have a shunt wound or series wound motor currently?
FiveFlat

Postby jeepnjo6 » Wed May 10, 2006 4:32 pm

If its an E-z-Go PDS or DCS cart it has a shunt motor... You can tell a PDS and DCS from the run/tow switch on the box under the seat. You can tell a PDS from DCS if the Forward and Reverse switch is on the dash its a PDS if its the handle its a DCS. If its neither of those its a series motor. I believe that Club Cars with the regen system are shunt motors as well. All other club cars are series. Also Yamaha regen are shunt motors. All others are series. I just did a controller and motor upgrade on an E-z-Go PDS and it will almost pop a wheelie when I hit the gas. My cost for the up grades was around $550.
jeepnjo6

Controller/Motor upgrade??

Postby golf_nut-06 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:40 pm

Helloe everyone,
I'm new to the forum and new to cart ownership.

I have a 2003 EZ-Go TXT-PDS off a golf course, but it's pretty slow.

From reading the post, it sounds like I can increase the speed with the freedom chip. But can I increase the speed by just changing the controller or do I have to make a controller/motor change?

I could spend $500-$700 to upgrade this, so what would be the best to get top speed? We live in a golf community, and we'd be using it to drive on the streets, although we have some big hills in the area too.

Love this forum; lots to learn.
golf_nut-06

Postby caddiemaster » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi, you should transfer this over to the regular part of E-Z-GO electric forum in it's own thread, but if your cart is a PDS, then yes for about $10.00 for a freedom chip you will gain some speed.
caddiemaster

Postby jagfan28 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm

I have a 1983 EZ-GO electric with a direct drive motor. Is there any way to speed this thing up?
jagfan28

share please

Postby mfater » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:39 pm

[quote="jeepnjo6"]If its an E-z-Go PDS or DCS cart it has a shunt motor... You can tell a PDS and DCS from the run/tow switch on the box under the seat. You can tell a PDS from DCS if the Forward and Reverse switch is on the dash its a PDS if its the handle its a DCS. If its neither of those its a series motor. I believe that Club Cars with the regen system are shunt motors as well. All other club cars are series. Also Yamaha regen are shunt motors. All others are series. I just did a controller and motor upgrade on an E-z-Go PDS and it will almost pop a wheelie when I hit the gas. My cost for the up grades was around $550.[/quote]

If you don't mind could you share what you did to get these results? Thanks
mfater

Postby kelvin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 am

Can someone tell How many amps drawnfrom the battery going full speed on a 1996 DCS EZ GO.Each wire Ground and Positive.

My ground now runs from 18.0 to 145.0
kelvin

Amps

Postby Cart Doctor » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:52 am

For the correct motor draw connect a shunt or amp clamp to the A1 terminal at the motor. Free wheeling current (flat level ground) will very depending on speed and land grade. The stall load should be at 290 to 300 amps. Do not stall but a few seconds.

Doc
Cart Doctor
Site Admin

Postby rickcardo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:26 am

Thanks for the info
rickcardo

pot replacement

Postby pud » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:11 am

I read the article you wrote entirely and am a bit taken back because none of the questions you bring up were presented to me when buying the new pot.
I have a 1990 EZGO I believe HD Marathon s/n 601954. Beneath that is HO590.
The parts counter person went by looks and description of year.

The old pot had black and white wire going to controller and FnR switch.There was a blue wire (3rd wire,com, from the microswitch to the controller).
There was an orange wire going from the MS to the solenoid and there is a red wire going to somewhere behind the FnR switch which I cannot see what it connects to.

The new pot has a blue and brown wire going to the speed controller and the FnR in place of the black and white.
(same wires and connectors,length but different color wires)

I am asking for your professional advice which wire replaces which? I've taken a guess that these wire control the foreward reverse but that is assumption and I prefer not to run the cart until I am positive it's hooked up properly.
I noticed that I am also going to need to adjust the pedal throw because the old pot had been messed around with. It had no spring retention and was just a mess like the whole cart has been for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and in advance Thankyou!
pud

newbie that's interested

Postby rjrdawg » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:19 pm

OK, I'm new to the forum and picking up some good advice here.

I have an 2002 EZGO. My forward/reverse switch is on the dash so I guess I have a PDS? Reading the posts it sounds like I can add some speed with a cheap freedom chip ($10 ???). How much speed can I add, or what does it actually do? Who can give me some info.?

Any other inexpensive ways to add some speed?
rjrdawg

Postby Fishing Dude » Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

If I take what your saying if I take a speed-torque kit for a 95cc and put it in a 97cc regen it would work the same as the 95 without the draw backs of the regen system. I have a 95 and 97 and would like them to have the same system in them so easier to trouble shoot if their systems were the same. The regen realy doesn't help alot on battery charge cycle as we are useing them on private roads to go to boat, haul trash to dumpster, and go to the beach. besides excuse for me to make my 95 a bad a** cart. Nice for next winter project putting my system in wifes 97 and putting high torque and speed in my cart.
HOLY CRAPpie!!!
Fishing Dude

Next

Return to EZGO Electric