Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Motor backfiring FE290

Motor backfiring FE290

Postby HaulnSS » Tue May 31, 2011 10:00 am

I have a mid 90's (96 I believe) gas Club Car with the 290 motor. The cart gets used alot every weekend in the summer and sits all winter. I have had the cart for 3 or 4 years. When I got it, I played around with the throttle cable, and disconnected the governer. I put a tach on it, so that I could turn safe RPM's. I lost a lot of low end torque, but gained top end. This combination worked well for a couple years. Last spring, I changed the oil, put a new plug, fuel filter on the cart. That weekend, the cart started running very badly. I eventually bought a new carburetor for it, that didn't fix the problem. I changed the plug and all seemed well again for the summer. I just started to use the cart again this past weekend. It was running horribly again. I installed a new plug and that did little to help. The problem I am having is, if I give it very little throttle, the cart will run ok. If I start to give it more throttle while under load, it will start to sputter and backfire. If I am on the road and up to speed and give it more than half throttle, it will bog down, but eventually pick up speed. Feels like it is losing fuel or something, over half throttle. I ran it around a while yesterday at a quarter throttle and it seemed fine. The plug I removed looked like it was running lean.

Any help would be appreciated.
HaulnSS

Re: Motor backfiring FE290

Postby shadowman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:17 am

well 1st check compression........have you cleaned the fuel pump or changed the fuel filters? it might have 2 of those little white fuel filters on it if so take them off and get the see thur type also run some carb cleaner thur the fuel pump and try blowing it out.............it may be that simple or maybe even a new fuel pump............thats a starting point........................ :cool:
Tom
if i didn,t like it so much i wouldn,t work on them.
shadowman

Return to Club Car Gas