Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

gas cart wont idle

gas cart wont idle

Postby roundtooit » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:27 pm

I just picked up 94 gas club car, When I crank it up it starts and goes to 1500 rpm(guess) , it will go faster but not slower. the idle screw is backed out. if I bounce the pedal, the engine dies. what should I look for?
roundtooit

Re: gas cart wont idle

Postby roundtooit » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I'm thinking carb, it coming off this afternoon.
roundtooit

Postby wass1967 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Golf carts are not designed to start up and idle. Its starts and moves. Yes, it starts that many times in a day. Thats what it is designed to do.
Jerry
1995 CUSTOM CLUB CAR / SUPER BEE THEME
MODIFIED FE350, HIGH SPEED GEARS
Top speed achieved w/O2 Boost 46 MPH :mrgreen:
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby roundtooit » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:38 am

Ok I'll quit trying to fix something that aint broke.
roundtooit

Postby splashbusters » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:22 am

Its not supposed to idle, but it's not supposed jump either. It should take off smoothly.

When the accelerator pedal is first depressed, the engine should just barely start to run, then pick up slowly as the pedal is pressed.

This can all be adjusted and fine tuned between the accelerator rod adjustment, micro switch adjustment, carb adjustment, and cable adjustment.

First is accelerator rod and micro switch. Under the accelerator pedal there is a tie rod that is connected cam. When the pedal is depressed the cam lifts off the micro switch, which activates the starter solenoid, causing the engine to turn over. At the same time the cam also pulls the accelerator cable causing the throttle to advance. (This is really where your governor speed is adjusted) If the linkage is adjusted to where when the accelerator pedal is just baerly being pressed, & the micro switch activates, the throttle cable will be pulled much further, and you will get the most speed out of your cart. If the linkage is adjusted to where the pedal goes 1/3 of the way to the floor, then activates the micro switch your, cart won't go as fast, but you will have better pedal feel. This is about a factory setting. (Also, be careful not to get this setting too close because the brake pedal can move the accelerator pedal when the park brake latch is activated. This can cause the car to turn over only when the keyswitch is on without touching the pedal)

Next adjust the carb. There isn't much. Just adjust the idle mixture screw. (This isn't crucial, but I like to do it first). Then make sure the stop screw isn't touching the throttle arm with the throttle closed.

With that set, adjust the accelerator cable. In the black electrial box the cable comes off the cam and goes throught the box. There are two stop nuts that secure the cable to the electrical box. Adjust the cable so the throttle on the carb starts to open just after the micro switch engages and the engine turns over. Lastly, if you prefer, you can adjust the throttle stop screw to your desired speed. Due to the stop and go nature of a golf cart, I prefer to keep it all the way down to keep things as smooth as possible.

...There is also a yellow cam behind the foward/reverse switch that can be pulled out and turned. This allow you to rev the cart up in neutral to test your adjustments.
splashbusters

Postby rayford52 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 pm

I have an old 87 harley cart and it had some problems when I got it but nothing real serious . and now it seems to run fine.. maybe a little reluctant to start but not too bad. The thing is. somehow the only speeds I have are fast or stop. after it starts , if I let off the gas pedal much at all it starts to die and it is very jerky when using the gas pedal, I mean because of the lack of precise response I can't get it to accelerate slowly and then after I let off the gas pedal and then depress it again I usually get an embarrassing pop from the exhaust.. Any ideas will be appreciated, and by the way , this is my first time visiting this forum.. Thanks. Vernon
rayford52

Postby roundtooit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 am

rayford52 wrote:I have an old 87 harley cart and it had some problems when I got it but nothing real serious . and now it seems to run fine.. maybe a little reluctant to start but not too bad. The thing is. somehow the only speeds I have are fast or stop. after it starts , if I let off the gas pedal much at all it starts to die and it is very jerky when using the gas pedal, I mean because of the lack of precise response I can't get it to accelerate slowly and then after I let off the gas pedal and then depress it again I usually get an embarrassing pop from the exhaust.. Any ideas will be appreciated, and by the way , this is my first time visiting this forum.. Thanks. Vernon

I'm no expert but it
sounds like a throttle linkage issue to me.

There are some very knowledgeable people around here, I bet you get some good help.

good luck and congratulations on the find.
roundtooit

Return to Club Car Gas