Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

oil sending unit

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

oil sending unit

Postby dripdoc » Tue May 26, 2009 6:53 am

Hi all,

Just bought club car's books ( manual and suppliment) for my 1999 gas, but it doesn't say anything about how to remove the oil sending unit to replace it. Does anyone know this?

Thanks, L B Masters dripdoc@neo.rr.com
Get busy livin, or get busy dyin.
dripdoc

Re: oil sending unit

Postby wass1967 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 am

It is inside the engine bolted to the side cover on the clutch side.
Just curious, how do you know it is bad?
Jerry
1995 CUSTOM CLUB CAR / SUPER BEE THEME
MODIFIED FE350, HIGH SPEED GEARS
Top speed achieved w/O2 Boost 46 MPH :mrgreen:
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby dripdoc » Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 am

All the other 99 CC's (and older) at my Campgrounds have an oil light on the dash that will light up when you turn the ign on untill the motor starts and then goes out when oil pressure is built just like a car.
Mine wasn't lighting at all. the book showed me where it was and told me to disconnect the wire and short it to ground to test the dash light. When I did so, it lit. When reconnected to the sending unit it doesn't light.
The book says to replace the sending unit, but doesn't explain how to get it out.
There are no bolts, no hex head , no screws or anything on my 1999 CC 9hp Kawasaki engine on or near the sending unit.
It lookes like a rubber plug with a wire male connector in the center. It may be made to pull out, but I won't try that untill I find out for sure.
dripdoc

Postby dripdoc » Tue May 26, 2009 8:14 pm

R U Saying the side cover has to come off to get at the oil pressure sending unit?
I used to think Club Cars were well built.
dripdoc

Postby dripdoc » Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 am

After finding out that the engine has to come out and be opened up just to change the oil sending unit, now I find out that B.U. doesn't sell the oil sending unit for ANY golf car.
Does anyone know where to get an oil pressure sending unit for a 1999 CC?
dripdoc

Postby wass1967 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:12 am

Hold on. You need to settle down here. First off, I don't know how it is supposed to be on newer carts but on my 99 club car and all that I have worked on up to 2002, the oil light has NEVER came on when you turn the key on. And just so you know, the oil light does NOT work off oil pressure. It senses oil level ONLY! If it runs low on oil, it comes on. PERIOD. That is all it does. And, to check the light, you change the oil. When you drain the oil, turn the key on. It should light up. That is directly from the maintenance manual. You are jumping to all the wrong conclusions. All it does is when the oil is low, grounds out and lights up. Just like you grounded it to light up. Who ever is giving you the info, is NOT right. And, if you were to call Buggies unlimited, you would find out that they do sell them. They don't keep it in stock due to it hardly EVER failing. You would have to order one. Which, you don't need to cause yours is fine. I think you owe Buggies Unlimited an apoligy. Just because it is not in their on line catalog, doesn't mean they don't sell it. They would have to carry way to many parts to cover every cart ever built.

And, for your information, the engine does not need pulled to change it. It can be done in the cart. It is just much easier & cleaner to pull the engine to get to it.

Drain oil. Remove starter and drive belt. Remove clutch. Unplug oil sensor unit. Un plug black/white wire from RPM limiter. Remove throttle cable from governor arm and thread through 2 eyelets on the side cover bolts. Remove side cover bolts. Remove side cover.
Jerry
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby wass1967 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:15 am

dripdoc wrote:All the other 99 CC's (and older) at my Campgrounds have an oil light on the dash that will light up when you turn the ign on untill the motor starts and then goes out when oil pressure is built just like a car.

THIS IS A BOLD FACE LIE!

There is not a single club car out there that does this. Not unless it has been modified extremely to do so. Get your facts right before posting.
Jerry
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby dripdoc » Wed May 27, 2009 7:54 am

Wow Jerry,

Chill guy, No one was putting B.U. down. Even if they don't sell the part, that's their business.
Actually I did call B.U. to ask about the part, but they didn't return the call yet, I'm assuming their pretty busy this time of year.
The book reffers to it as an "oil sending unit" in the world of auto's that usually describes a pressure sending unit.
MY BAD.
Also, because B.U. didn't have it online, and I did assume they didn't sell it, so I called.
But just to let YOU know, the Club Car Maintainance service suppliment I got from B.U. states on page13-32
"quote"
" NOTE Engine removal is required for repair of parts that are inside the crankcase.
dripdoc

Postby dripdoc » Wed May 27, 2009 7:59 am

Yes I did see carts that the light comes on with the Ign on, otherwise I wouldn't be worried about it, now that you have explained it, I am very relieved to find out I don't have to tear it down. Would the older carts be different than the 99?
dripdoc

Postby wass1967 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:02 pm

No, none of the gas carts club car made were different.Even the flat head engines(91 and older) had only an oil level sensor unit.

I am sorry about jumping the gun like that but there are a lot of people that come here and just start in on BU about this or that when they are in the wrong.

I would like to know what carts you seen that has the oil light come on when the key is turned on. The only ones I ever seen with a light on were Club Car electric, that the light will come on with key on or off. This I guess in normal. The light is exactly the same size and is placed in the same position as the gas carts. But the light shows a little battery in it instead of an oil can. Know what I mean? You better look more closely at them and find out if they were electrics. I will tell you this. I know Club Car DS from 92-present up, down, forward sideways, upside down. you name it. But that is all I know. I know nothing of ezgo, yamaha gas or electric. And ALL Club Car DS gas, the light is off ALL the time. Only when you drain the oil, does it come on. Or.....
Lifted carts running high rpms, the Counter weight in the engine will splash into the oil laying at an angle in the bottom of it and splash in to it enough to throw oil all over making the oil light flicker or even stay on till you slow down enough to read the oil level again.

Buggies Unlimited can get you every part on your cart. You some times need to get factory part numbers from the tech line, but they can get them.

I know, things can get frustrating while working on carts and you think that something should be a certain way and you swear you are right and find out your completely wrong. Sorry I jumped on you for it. It just caught me off guard and it did sound offensive about BU.
Jerry
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby dripdoc » Wed May 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I guess I just expected it to be pressure activated by the fact that this motor has an oil pump and a filter.
I also swear that there's a guy with an older CC at paradise lake that has the same dash light as mine and it comes on when he shuts it down and the light goes out when it starts. I am super HAPPY now that I know there's nothing wrong with her. here's a pic with a roof I built.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dripdoc

Postby wass1967 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Not a bad looking cart. I have always liked blue. Lots of potential sitting there. Lift, aluminum wheels, white dual racing stripes. pin stripes.

Find them carts with the dash lights and see if they are gas or electric.

When you change your oil next, be sure to turn the key on when you drain it to double check its working. Here are a few things you should write down.

Oil filter. 1989 Geo Prizm
Air filter. 1992 Chevy Beretta w/2.2L engine
Spark plug 1993 Chrysler Lebaron w/3.0 v-6.
Fuel filters can be found in the lawn mower section of Walmart.
Jerry
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby CatTracker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:18 pm

does anyone use synthetic oil or different wt.s 20-50w?
CatTracker

Postby wass1967 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:13 am

I run synthetic (due to higher rpms) but it is not neccesary. You can use what ever your brand/favorite weight. 20w50 seams a little thick for this application though. But if you want to run it, go for it.
Jerry
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Return to Club Car Gas