Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

2003 Club Car Gas blowing headlight fuses when engine runs

2003 Club Car Gas blowing headlight fuses when engine runs

Postby knorman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 pm

I just purchased a used 2003 Club Car gas model which came with headlights and tail lights. When I bought it, there was no fuse in the headlight fuse socket. I put a fuse in and it worked fine while the engine was off. Once I start the engine, the fuse blows immediately. Otherwise, the cart seems to operate just fine.

Does this sound like a common problem anyone else here has encountered? possibly a bad voltage regulator?

Any input greatly appreciated.
knorman

Re: 2003 Club Car Gas blowing headlight fuses when engine runs

Postby TheCartDude » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 am

I have a sneaking suspicion someone has a split feed from that headlamp fuse going through a starter micro to ground. Trace the wire for the headlamps and see if it winds up in the solenoid box hooked up to something else.
2002 Gas Club Car
6" BU spindle lift
22" Mudlites
24HP Engine

Rest in Peace, Keyguy. You Will Always Be Remembered.
TheCartDude

Postby knorman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 am

The fuse is connected directly to the positive terminal and the negative return wires are tied togather and grounded to the frame at a common point.
knorman

Postby TheCartDude » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:16 pm

For the fuse to blow when the engine starts, it is most likely a switched ground short problem. Trace the hot from the fuse and see if it goes anywhere other than to the headlamp switch, or from there to the lights.
2002 Gas Club Car
6" BU spindle lift
22" Mudlites
24HP Engine

TheCartDude

Postby wass1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:08 am

What size fuse did you try? If the voltage regulator is bad and puts out too much voltage, it could blow the fuse. What you can try is starting it in Maintenance mode. Pull out on the knob under the seat, behind the F&R switch. Pull it out and turn about 1/2 around and it should drop back in place. This activates a micro in neutal that allows the cart to start. Have someone start the cart for you while you take a volt meter and put the leads on the + and - of the battery and check voltage before it starts and after it starts and when it revs up. You should only see 12v before it starts and a max of maybe 14v. Most carts I seen runs about 13.5 when reved up high. If you are seeing 15 + volts. Then your regulator is over charging the battery and possibly blowing the fuse. Also, could the headlights be hooked up wrong? Possibly having the wrong wire going to ground on 1 of them? May cause them to work under battery power but as soon as the voltage comes up, it pops the fuse. I think you will be able to fix it easily.

To be honest, what I would do, is un hook all the lights(head and tail lights) Strip ALL wire ran and run new wire to the lights. This way you have peace of mind knowing that they are wired right. Cause I think you inherited someone elses screw up. So it is best to fix it right the first time. I would suggest buying trailer wiring and about 20ft. of wire protecting wrap and just redo the wiring.

Is your cart set up for brake lights and turn signals? If so, then there are other things to check.
Jerry
1995 CUSTOM CLUB CAR / SUPER BEE THEME
MODIFIED FE350, HIGH SPEED GEARS
Top speed achieved w/O2 Boost 46 MPH :mrgreen:
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Postby TheCartDude » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Higher voltage = Lower amperage.

If anything, a high voltage situation would lower actual amps across the fuse, as I recall most of the ATC type fuses are rated at 14.4V. Only thing that might happen as you pointed out, is a high resistance short that needs the extra volts to occur. But the starter-generator has a max capacity of only 20A at 14.4V at full speed...at idle, it might be able to only push 2A at charging voltage. Any draw over that would be coming off the battery, and at battery voltage.

Since the lights are most likely 55w, they draw a total of 9.16A running at 12V. At 15V, they draw 7.33A.

I recommend 15A fuses minimum, as the wiring you have going to the lights should support at least 200W at battery voltage. If you choose to rewire, I would recommend (at minimum) a wire size 14AWG with a 15A fuse. I personally use only 12AWG on my cart, and run 20A fuses.
2002 Gas Club Car
6" BU spindle lift
22" Mudlites
24HP Engine

TheCartDude

Postby knorman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:58 pm

I got it ficed. It ended up being a very short in the wiring. thanks to all who offered advice.
knorman

Postby wass1967 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 am

Glad you got it fixed. :D
Jerry
1995 CUSTOM CLUB CAR / SUPER BEE THEME
MODIFIED FE350, HIGH SPEED GEARS
Top speed achieved w/O2 Boost 46 MPH :mrgreen:
wass1967
Forum Moderator

Return to Club Car Gas