Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

97 club car charge light always on

97 club car charge light always on

Postby DING-B » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 am

My 97 club car 48 volt has a constant charge light. I installed new batteries, all fully charged, but when I turn on the key, and engage the pedal, the charge light comes on. Not sure where to start as to possible fuse problem, or something more extensive. Any quick thoughts would help.
DING-B

Re: 97 club car charge light always on

Postby shadowman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:19 pm

try doing an OBC reset see if that helps, have you load tested them? and you didn,t replace any cables did you? other then light how is cart running? lastly you do leave charger on until it shuts off on its own don,t you...if not you relly need to leave the charger run until it shuts off which could take up to 16 hours..................................... :cool:
Tom
if i didn,t like it so much i wouldn,t work on them.
shadowman

Postby DING-B » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Don't know what OBC is to reset it. sorry. New to colf carts and electrical systems of this sort. The people I bought it from said that the light stayed on before , too. Can you tell me how to reset this item?? Thanks.
DING-B

Postby CARTFIXER1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

97 was bad year for OBC. I would think that it has an updated one in it now, but it may have failed. They have new designed OBCs now.
Owner-CARTFIXER in the Villages Florida. Want your golf car fixed correctly- have a golf car mechanic work on it.
CARTFIXER1

Postby shadowman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am

if everything else is working proper and its just the light staying on try resetting the OBC...........ok now be careful doing it......take the negitive cable off #6 battery should be your rear battery on drivers side follow that cable if it goes up thur a hole in a square thing your at the right cable.......take that cable off at the battery ( neg. terminal ) tape the end of cable so it won,t touch anything or spark....use some elec. tape and tape the connector up...........put key in put cart in reverse turn key on and slowly slowly press pedal down towards floor...........your reverse buzzer should get weaker sounding and then quit buzzing .......leave it sit like that for 10 minutes...........than turn key off put cart in forward and put your cable back on.........see if light works proper.......its been some time since i did this so if my directions are wrong someone will correct me and also keep in mind as mentioned it could be OBC but i don,t know that i would change it if its just the light acting up......by the way is your light red or orange? red would be original orange would be updated..................... :cool:
Tom
shadowman

Postby DING-B » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 am

It is a red light still. I will try this reset and see if it helps. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.
DING-B

Postby shadowman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 am

DING-B wrote:It is a red light still. I will try this reset and see if it helps. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

wow if its still a red dash light that means it has original OBC still in it or if OBC was replaced they just never installed new grey wire and new updated orange dash light........if you end up having to replace OBC you get both a new grey wire and a new dash light with the OBC it comes as a kit......my advice would be to at the least change dash light and if your grey wire on charge receptical is good then keep new one for spare unless your unsure about yours then also install it then cart is updated with latest stuff concerning OBC..................................... :cool:
Tom
shadowman

Postby DING-B » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:39 pm

I did the reset, but with the same results. Do you know if the grey wire connects directly to the solenoid? If it does, I need to find out how to remove the body ( connections are kind of rusty under there). Would a service manual go into this much detail? If so, I will order one.
DING-B

Postby shadowman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 am

the grey wire is the sense lead for OBC, all you relly need to do is give it a few tugs make sure it dosn,t come out of receptcal, the problem was for some reason that wire would rot so thats why theres a new one for certain year carts when you buy an OBC and your year was in there.................................... :cool:
Tom
shadowman

Return to Club Car Electric