Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Positive ground??

Positive ground??

Postby Crew Dawg Dave » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:55 am

I have been asked to “fix” the golf cart at work. It is an electric Club Car. I was checking things with a digital meter and noticed that the cart is showing positive(+) ground. Is this normal/correct? I am not sure of the year, but the story is that it was purchased about 4 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.
Dave
Crew Dawg Dave

Re: Positive ground??

Postby Cartfixer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 pm

If a non golf car tech has been working on it, anything can be possible. If lights are hooked up, see if they have the wires going to the frame, that would be bad, if it is hooked up that way.

Lets start with what doe the car do or not do? Your first checks are battery voltage...thats individual voltage and pack voltage, and that is also checking the pack under a load.

Also check all you cable connections....not only by looking at them, buy by givin them a "tug" to make sure they are connected. lastly, why did they park the car in the first place? find outthat story, as it will help.
Cartfixer

Postby Crew Dawg Dave » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:40 pm

by Cartfixer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:27 pm
If a non golf car tech has been working on it, anything can be possible. If lights are hooked up, see if they have the wires going to the frame that would be bad, if it is hooked up that way.

** There are wires going to the frame. I will look to see it the actual battery cables go the frame. I did see small wires going to what looked like a factory terminal (the connection was pop riveted to the frame under the seat... for what it’s worth, the colour of the wire is black.)

Lets start with what doe the car do or not do? Your first checks are battery voltage...that’s individual voltage and pack voltage, and that is also checking the pack under a load.
** the cart drives just fine, holds a charge well. It does get driven during the daytime with no problem. I will check the voltage from the batteries and the pack itself... not sure how to check under a load... Have to think about that one.

Also check all you cable connections....not only by looking at them, buy by givin them a "tug" to make sure they are connected. lastly, why did they park the car in the first place? find outthat story, as it will help.
** The Cart was parked because of safety… the headlights and horn were not working. 12v bulbs were blown. The 12v horn that was just installed about a month ago has died a pitiful death. (24v going to horn itself & the pos (+) lead [unswitched] coming to the horn was attached to the horn were it mounts to the frame [this would be the horns neg (-) pole]... this was a single terminal horn)
It will be a couple of days before I'm at work again... I will check all the cables and were they go... this could be interesting/scary... :mrgreen:
I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for your help
Dave
Crew Dawg Dave

Postby Crew Dawg Dave » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:43 pm

by Cartfixer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:27 pm
If a non golf car tech has been working on it, anything can be possible. If lights are hooked up, see if they have the wires going to the frame that would be bad, if it is hooked up that way.

You never really came out a said it, but pos (+)ground is a "bad" thing... correct???
Crew Dawg Dave

Postby pat1atj » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:14 am

Any ground is a bad thing.
Golf carts have a positive and negative, no ground.
It is not like an automobile where you ground the frame.
Everything has 2 wires, positive and negative and insulated from the frame.
I hope this helps.
1995 48vdc Club Car
Stock
For Now
pat1atj

Postby Cartfixer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:39 am

Sounds like the car has a factory 16 to 12 voltage reducer. But obviously someone was in there that didn't know what they were doing, so your first goal is to get the car back the way it should be, hopefully the reducer is still good.
Cartfixer

Return to Club Car Electric