Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Hauling Carts In Pick-Up Truck

Hauling Carts In Pick-Up Truck

Postby texastrash » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:26 am

I am moving my membership from one golf course to another and needed to move my cart. First I want to say thanks to all for the wealth of info on this board. After reading everything I could I became very apprehensive about the weight on the tail gate of my Silverado 1500 short bed. Would the cart fit in the bed, would the cables hold the tail gate, would the rear wheels rest on the tail gate with all the battery weight, would the weight on the tail gate cause the upper cable bolts pull out or deform the metal, would the cables break and send the ramps, cart and me to the ground. Trust me, all these things were mentioned as problems or possible problems on this and/or other boards. Not to mention that some reported their windshields blew out during transit.

The bottom line is that loading the cart in the truck and transporting it was much easier than doing all the reading. I do have heavy duty steel ramps. The only other thing I did was to use two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood about two foot square to spread the weight of the rear wheels over the bed flooring. The cart drove on with no problem, the rear wheels did not sit on the tailgate as I was led to believe, and with a couple of straps it was ready to go. Of course I could not close the tail gate but with the brakes set and straps in place all was secure. I did forget to remove the windshield until the last minute and I'm glad I read about that before transporting the cart.

In conclusion, transporting the cart in a shortbed full size pickup is no problem at all. The ramps held the weight, the cables held the tailgate, and the drive on and drive off was no problem. Again, I had heavy duty folding ramps and they worked fine. I hope this is helpful to someone.
texastrash

Re: Hauling Carts In Pick-Up Truck

Postby jamesrb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:02 am

Im glad you wrote this. I'm thinking of picking a cart up in the next 2 weeks and I have a f150 super crew with the short bed.
jamesrb

Postby Fred A » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 am

I carry my cart on a trailer but I have two comments. (He provided very useful information. However, we don't know the distance of the move nor the type of roads he drove on.)

- It was important that the cart wheels here all on the bed floor. Measure your cart and make sure it fits in this manner. Your owner's manual may tell you how much weight can be carried on the tailgate - different than the static loading weight.

- I assume he backed the cart in so the heavist axle was in front of the truck axle.

If you decide it might not be safe, the 'local' rental of a trailer is not too expensive. It is the rental of a trailer that you leave someplace else that is expensive. You must pay for them to schuffle the trailer around the country.

Good luck.

Fred
2002 Club Car DS IQ, folding windshield, 20 amp 48-volt to 12-volt reducer, unique key switch, LED headlights, taillights and CHIMSL (CenterHIghMountedStopLight), 5-panel mirror, storage tray, hours meter, battery condition meter and Race Star graphics.
Fred A

Postby ptsteelers36 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Just a few things I sometimes do to make things easier...
First of all I highly agree with fred...back cart into truck so front wheels (the light end) sit on the tailgate).
Also, if possible and available, I try to back the truck into a hill side so the ramps sit more level to the truck bed.
Finally, if you feel unsafe about the ramps slipping out from the truck, you could always take your ratchet straps and ratchet the ramps to a tie down on the truck bed, then remove them once the cart is loaded.
Hope that info may be helpful to someone!
ptsteelers36

Postby Big Hat 120 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Have hauled many carts for miles on a 6' truck without any trouble (sitting on gate forward facing). Trouble can always happen. If you back on take the windshield off before you leave or plan to buy a new one when you arrive, the wind will have removed yours.
Dave
Big Hat 120

Postby Max Power » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:53 am

What about the top? Is it OK to leave that on or will the wind tear it off? I'm picking up an '02 DS about 3hrs from me next week and it'll be all highway driving..TIA
Max
"Do unto others---then RUN!"
Max Power

Postby texastrash » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:44 pm

I left the top and rain cover on (rolled up) during the trip. The haul was not far and took about forty-five minutes at no greater than fifty-five MPH. I hauled a second cart today using the same method. I drove the carts in head first and the rear wheels DO NOT sit on the tail gate. They sit just inside the bed. The one thing I wish I had done in both cases was use the suggestion to secure the ramps with a tie down straps. I can only imagine what could have happened if the drive wheels had caught firm and sent the ramps backwards.
texastrash

Postby Fred A » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:51 pm

We carry ours on a trailer, most of the time behind our fifth wheel - mostly at 60-65 mph. We do tow the trailer with just the pickup truck where it is less protected - however, only about four miles of it is at 55 mph. We have no touble with the top.

Our CC faces forward but we fold the top of the windshield down - no problem with that so far.

The only trouble we have had was the five-way mirror coming loose. I have added tightening the mirror and checking other items to the loading procudure.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Club Car DS IQ, folding windshield, 20 amp 48-volt to 12-volt reducer, unique key switch, LED headlights, taillights and CHIMSL (CenterHIghMountedStopLight), 5-panel mirror, storage tray, hours meter, battery condition meter and Race Star graphics.
Fred A

Postby Cinrock » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:18 am

I haul my lifted Precedent in the back of a short bed GMC. I can't leave the tailgate down when I'm towing the camper, so I had to get creative since the bigger tires pushed the rear axle centerline too close to the edge of the bed. I puchased a 1/2" sheet of ply wood and cut it to fit the pickup bed. Slide the plywood out of the bed so it sticks out just to the end of the bumper. Cut a couple of 2x4's to fill the gap between the bottom of the plywood and the top of the bumper and screwed them to the plywood. This provides support for the plywood overhang which supports the weight of the golf cart. Also provides a nice place to attach the ramps. When I'm not using it, I just pick it up off the bumper and slide it in the bed. Pulled the whole shootin' match that way to Florida and back (around 1500 mi roundtrip) with no issues whatsoever. The ramps go under the cart and the cart gets strapped down front and rear.

I never removed the windshield and never lost it on the road. In retrospect, it does sound like a good idea to remove it before it gets removed by the wind!
Cinrock

Postby joe100 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:53 am

Hi ! All
Just wanted to say I hauled my 1985 DS CC to the camp ground 75 Miles from home in the back of my pickup a 2001 Dodge Dakota Short bed. Used the ramps made of 2x 12 and those alum.tips from harbor freight .Had no problems the trucks an R/T with the small block 360 in it but the suspension is heavy duty. Drove the cart in forward put the windsheild down strapped on front and back drove on a bumpy black top road, with the top on, and battery charger strapped to the floor of the cart. I wouldn't want to travel alonger distense but the truck hauled with no issues. Just some info if you have a short hop.JOE
The Golden Years Doctors and Drug Stores
joe100

Postby rkpatt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 am

I need to haul an electric golf cart in my mid 1990s Ford F250 long bed truck for a one time move. I planning on using 8ft 2X12s with one vertical 2X4 screwed inthe middle for strengthening -forming sort of a "T" ramps. I also plan on supporting the ramps in the middle with a concrete block (or something similar ) I would remove the tailgate . What are the alternatives to securing the ramps to the HD bumper or truck bed so they don't slip out when loading /unloading ? The alternate would be to rent a 5X9 U-haul trailer that has built-in ramp . I assume the fold-down ramp can handle the weight (y/n?) . Suggestions are appreciated. -Thanks
rkpatt

Postby billyb22 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:50 am

If you have a windshield and don't want to remove it, always put the cart in facing forward.
I would try to find a hill or ditch that you can back the truck into so the "ramps" are not quite as high and steep.
My yard has a perfect slope to the street and I use 2 x 10"s with no extra support all the time to load and unload carts with no problems.
I have never tried it on a flat driveway, driving the cart up a steep plank - I always load off a hill or ditch.
I hope this helps
billyb22

Postby dougmcp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Why go through the troubles, if you have the choice, there are no hassles and no accidents waiting to happen with a trailer. For less than $20 you can't go wrong.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue, I'd rather be the pigeon!
dougmcp

Postby billyb22 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:57 pm

I don't think hauling a golf cart in a pick up truck is a hassle at all. Maybe he doesn't live near u-haul, or maybe no hitch??
billyb22

Return to Club Car Electric