Buggies Unlimited Golf Cart Troubleshooting Text Support

Energizer Batteries

Moderators: BU_CartGuy, Path Maker, Keyguy, Barry Wilson, BU Employees, Mods

Energizer

Postby Bill Spears » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 pm

The Bunny has died. I use my cart in really rough terrain, hunting camp on the Mississippi River...mud and water and sand. I put new Bunny Batteries in my cart last year. That's it. They are history. I have heard nothing good from the Professional Cart Guys. Just my experience. I just bought 8 new Trojans. I am tired of fooling around trying to save a dollar and in the process not getting the performance from my cart that it can give and I want.
Bill Spears

Postby Jeff9329 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 pm

tn2tool wrote:ok, so it's october of 2008. Anyone care to give us updates on their energizer batteries from Sam's? I really need a set of 8's.

Running great so far.

I checked Sams two weeks ago and they were up to $77 for the GC8s
Yamaha 2001 G19E, lifted, 23" tires, motor, controller, cables, Sams Club batteries.
Jeff9329

Re: Energizer

Postby Jeff9329 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Bill Spears wrote:The Bunny has died. I use my cart in really rough terrain, hunting camp on the Mississippi River...mud and water and sand. I put new Bunny Batteries in my cart last year. That's it. They are history. I have heard nothing good from the Professional Cart Guys. Just my experience. I just bought 8 new Trojans. I am tired of fooling around trying to save a dollar and in the process not getting the performance from my cart that it can give and I want.

You should at least get a new set at Sams for a backup since they have a 1 year 100% warranty.

If all six died, then something else is wrong BTW.
Yamaha 2001 G19E, lifted, 23" tires, motor, controller, cables, Sams Club batteries.
Jeff9329

Bunny Batteries

Postby Bill Spears » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Hey Jeff
You are right....I know, but I just don't want the hassle. I am soooo much more pleased witht he new Trojans that I have just chalked it up as a costly learning experience. There are some excellent batteries out there other than Trojan. My point is this....BUY THOSE REALLY GOOD ONES FIRST and you will be pleased up front and save money in the long run.
Bill Spears

Re: Bunny Batteries

Postby Cartfixer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Bill Spears wrote:Hey Jeff
You are right....I know, but I just don't want the hassle. I am soooo much more pleased witht he new Trojans that I have just chalked it up as a costly learning experience. There are some excellent batteries out there other than Trojan. My point is this....BUY THOSE REALLY GOOD ONES FIRST and you will be pleased up front and save money in the long run.

I've preached that for years, but humans are humans, and some need to learn on there own. I am seeing the sams, and the energizers, and the stow aways dying in the 12 to 18 month range. Customer calls us out, we check the batteries, tell them there is a problem with the batteries, they take them back to sams or whomever, but it did just cost them a service call...and in 6 moths or a year later the cycle will start again with another dead battery. How long do you chase the problem before you just say F... it?
Cartfixer

Postby shadowman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:08 pm

a lot of the carts i see with sam,s or sears batteries don,t even get 18 months and god forbid if you let them get to low theres a real good chance your not gonna bring them back even if new.................... 8)
Tom
if i didn,t like it so much i wouldn,t work on them.
shadowman

Bunny Batteries

Postby Bill Spears » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 am

Well, true. I did not know better. I thought a good battery would do, and it did. The good battery did not make the car go faster, it did not make the cart have more power, it did not give the cart more distance and it would fail quicker. I did not know just how good the best was because I never had the better batteries. Now that I have experienced the better batteries I doubt that I will ever go back to trying for superior performance with non-superior batteries. But you know what...some people cannot afford the best battery and that's the way that is. A good battery is not a bad battery, it's just not the best and it cannot be expected to perform like the best.
Bill Spears

Postby shadowman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:39 am

the key is breaking them in right when they are new and than maintaining them and even just a good battery will do the job....................... 8)
Tom
if i didn,t like it so much i wouldn,t work on them.
shadowman

Postby djspn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:12 pm

What's the right way to break them in?
djspn

Bunny Batteries

Postby Bill Spears » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Hey Shadowman

Again, I had to learn the hard way about battery maintenance and excellent wiring and clear connections. Just because a battery or a wire is "hooked up" doesn't mean it is making a clean connection AND that clear clean connection makes a world of difference. It's the little things that make a huge difference. I was always a little miffed when I asked a question from an expert and they would say something like "have you checked your batteries, wiring, connections etc." Hell, I figured the problem was something big that needed something new put on or in. Looked to me like everything was "hooked up right". Well, I have just learned a lot from the school of assumptions and hardheadedness. Still have a ways to go. These guys around here, epecially Caddiemaster, have been just great for me. I do appreciate them.
Bill Spears

Postby Jeff9329 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:11 am

Just remember, occasionally the batteries sold at Sams have been private label Trojans.

It dosen't happen often, but there are a few threads on here about it.

I called Trojan before I bought my Sams batteries to ask which private label batteries were currently Trojan GC8s, but they would not tell me. Im sure the private label Trojans are usually sold for less.
Jeff9329

batteries

Postby tn2tool » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:04 am

Without a doubt Trojan is the best battery along with Deka & US Battery. However some of us can't afford Trojans. I have checked on Dekas and Trojans and in my local area, 8 volt Dekas run 152.00 and Trojans 180.00 each. Don't get me wrong I understand the quality of Trojans but at that price it is not worth it. I think "the bunny" or Exide batteries will have to do for me. If I stay on top of them with maintenance and I get three years out of them instead of 6 to 7 with the Trojans then I've broke even. If they die in a year 1 or 2 then I'll chuck it up to "this sucks" and I trade my electric cart in for a gas cart.
2000.5 Electric Club Car
1992 ParCar
tn2tool

Postby tn2tool » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:28 am

I just found this link to help show private labeled batteries and who the actual battery manufacturers are
http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Also something else to try, most businesses require MSDS sheets on chemicals, paints, materials, etc... that they use. I'm sure that MSDS sheets exist for golf cart batteries as well. MSDS sheets contain all of the chemical properties and handling procedures for the product. If I remember correctly they also have to have the manufacturer's address on there as well and if energizer does not make golf cart batteries, then it should state the actual manufacturer. Anyone want to requesting an MSDS sheet from energizer or Sam's?
2000.5 Electric Club Car
1992 ParCar
tn2tool

Postby HotRodCarts » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:15 pm

I guess I'm just lucky or something :lol: I've been buying Interstate batteries from Sam's for a few years now and haven't had a problem. Right now the oldest set is 7 years. They are in a Marathon I sold 3 years ago and the Interstates were 4 years old when I sold the cart (this set wasn't bought from Sams but are the exact same Interstates they sell). I can't speak for the Energizers, I've never used them...

I've also had Exides last 7 years so Trojan isn't the only company that makes a GOOD golf cart battery...
HotRodCarts

batteries

Postby jssneptune » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:24 pm

Im pretty sure I got trojans at costco last year. all markings, caps, ect are the same. shearch my name for pics. Also just got new trojans 8v for CC and they were 900 dollars in N. calirornia. and thats a good price they are way too expensive and trojan should not allow one distributor too set the prices with no competition.
jss
jssneptune

PreviousNext

Return to Club Car Electric